X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boltster View Post
    Uh oh! Where's Chainy!!! Tyron Johnson was just added to the Raiders active roster from the practice squad!!!
    I have already been proven right about everything I have said about Johnson six ways to Sunday.

For those missing the point, it remains irrelevant what Johnson does or does not do for another team. That never mattered as far as the issue that I raised is concerned.

What always mattered was that Johnson was a proven success in the deep passing game with Herbert. Going away from our deep passing game was always a mistake by Lombardi, who has a clear bias against the deep passing game, which is as plain as day when you see how he calls the NO system versus how Payton calls it. Lombardi proved it in DET with Stafford and proved it here for over half of a season with Herbert.

I predicted defenses would squat on us absent a regular deep passing attack and they did. Even before the season began, I discussed how the threat of a deep passing game would open things up for us underneath and its absence would tend to have the opposite effect. And I was right.

Before the season, I emphasized Herbert's deep passing prowess (you know, the best deep passer in the NFL) as something that we should take advantage of regularly.

Finally, we had two designed deep passes thrown to Guyton which resulted in two TDs--absolute perfection when doing what I was begging us to do all along. It is hard to imagine how I could have been more right about the need to use Guyton on deep passes.

And had we kept Johnson, the deep passing game would have been even more potent, as it was last year, if Lombardi would have tried to use the deep passing game.

And you know what really would have helped us against HOU when both Guyton and Williams were out? You got it--an actual deep passing threat at WR (like Johnson) instead of running deep routes with the likes of Moore and Palmer (the anti-Guyton--two deep passes, two INTs).

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Logic doesn't apply to the Chargers though. They have constantly defied logic in terms of finding ways to lose over the years lol. It's a dark cloud that still looms over the organization.
      ​​​​​​
      With everything raiders have been through this season in terms of drama ( Gruden etc) , and then Madden passing (not related in any way to the current team) , it makes for a comeback story with a chance to enter the playoffs suddenly. I can see why the media is hyping it up.

So I get they think emotion could beat the chargers. Chargers are the more talented team on paper, hands down, IMO. But if they don't execute and come out flat like they have many times before, raiders will win. Chargers must show they actually want that last wildcard spot.

Hopefully the Chargers play their best football and prove why they deserve to be in the playoffs tomorrow. If they fail to, it'll be more of the same Chargers choked stigma.
      agree! totally!.....

there were 2 consecutive years..... I think under mccoy that chargers played last game of season against chiefs.... with an opportunity to win game and make playoffs as WC...... Chargers win and they were in and lose ant they were done...... and both games, Chiefs had everything wrapped up, played with mostly backups and chase daniel as QB...... they dominated chargers starters in both games..... Chargers lost one and barely won the other only due to bad ref call.......

hoping Staley has got these guys more focused than those mccoy teams..... I believe they will be..... Staley is not the idiot that mccoy was.......

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
        Getting so long that we aren’t still saying Fuck the Raiders and talking about other stuff?
        To be honest, that was more of a San Diego Chargers history hate thing with the Raiders. Long time fans don’t forget tho. It’s mellowed out some. Both teams in new cities, new stadiums, new fans. There’s less of a grudge factor now…but some don’t forget that easily.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I have already been proven right about everything I have said about Johnson six ways to Sunday.

For those missing the point, it remains irrelevant what Johnson does or does not do for another team. That never mattered as far as the issue that I raised is concerned.

What always mattered was that Johnson was a proven success in the deep passing game with Herbert. Going away from our deep passing game was always a mistake by Lombardi, who has a clear bias against the deep passing game, which is as plain as day when you see how he calls the NO system versus how Payton calls it. Lombardi proved it in DET with Stafford and proved it here for over half of a season with Herbert.

I predicted defenses would squat on us absent a regular deep passing attack and they did. Even before the season began, I discussed how the threat of a deep passing game would open things up for us underneath and its absence would tend to have the opposite effect. And I was right.

Before the season, I emphasized Herbert's deep passing prowess (you know, the best deep passer in the NFL) as something that we should take advantage of regularly.

Finally, we had two designed deep passes thrown to Guyton which resulted in two TDs--absolute perfection when doing what I was begging us to do all along. It is hard to imagine how I could have been more right about the need to use Guyton on deep passes.

And had we kept Johnson, the deep passing game would have been even more potent, as it was last year, if Lombardi would have tried to use the deep passing game.

And you know what really would have helped us against HOU when both Guyton and Williams were out? You got it--an actual deep passing threat at WR (like Johnson) instead of running deep routes with the likes of Moore and Palmer (the anti-Guyton--two deep passes, two INTs).
          I still keep thinking there must have been more to the story of the Bolts letting Johnson go...so now that he's gone, it's just water under the bridge that T-Billy Goat Gruff has hoofed over...and hoping he has a baaaaaaddd game vs. us tomorrow...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

agree! totally!.....

there were 2 consecutive years..... I think under mccoy that chargers played last game of season against chiefs.... with an opportunity to win game and make playoffs as WC...... Chargers win and they were in and lose ant they were done...... and both games, Chiefs had everything wrapped up, played with mostly backups and chase daniel as QB...... they dominated chargers starters in both games..... Chargers lost one and barely won the other only due to bad ref call.......

hoping Staley has got these guys more focused than those mccoy teams..... I believe they will be..... Staley is not the idiot that mccoy was.......
            Or Lynn, for that matter...

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Harbaugh coming to Las Vegas rumors flying thick in Raider Nation

Pro Football Network
              @PFN365
              Sources tell PFN Insider
              @TonyPauline
              that Jim Harbaugh to the #Raiders is more than just some wild rumor. In fact, he's told that the Raiders are Harbaugh’s choice of franchises and a few believe it could happen next week. Details: http://bit.ly/3zBxefH

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post

I don't dispute that. But Telesco wasn't going to draft him in 2019 if Herbert had entered the draft. It's not really relevant to the question, which is, in 2020 would Telesco have drafted Herbert over Tua if both QBs were available when Telesco drafted? I say no, Telesco would have drafted Tua.
                Well, hopefully Telesco can plead the 5th Amendment about that.

Herbert>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tagovailoa.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Herbert avg, yards per comp, 2020- 7.6, 2021- 7.3
                  Longest pass comp 2020- 72, 2021- 72
                  20+ yd comps 2020 -50, 2021- 51

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Or Lynn, for that matter...
                    Umm…and now Staley. Time will tell. TT has a history of giving HC’s more time while he attempts tweaking the next year’s roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I still keep thinking there must have been more to the story of the Bolts letting Johnson go...so now that he's gone, it's just water under the bridge that T-Billy Goat Gruff has hoofed over...and hoping he has a baaaaaaddd game vs. us tomorrow...
                      It is water under the bridge, but other posters seem to want to keep scooping that water out for their own use.

Hopefully, Johnson does not play as I think two speedy deep threats on the field at once (assuming Jackson can still run) is good for them. In those situations, I might prefer Campbell to Harris on the field with Davis and Samuel.

Comment

• Caslon
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

If Kenneth Murray does more than phone in his performance this game, we’ll all notice it.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                          Herbert avg, yards per comp, 2020- 7.6, 2021- 7.3
                          Longest pass comp 2020- 72, 2021- 72
                          20+ yd comps 2020 -50, 2021- 51

https://www.nfl.com/players/justin-herbert/stats/career
                          Herbert's YPA stats establish nothing. Last year, we threw about 25% of our passes to RBs, much more than what we have done this year. That lowers the overall average. We threw more deep air yards passes last year. Guyton and Johnson each had 4 very long pass receptions last year to go along with those Williams had. Those 8 passes to Guyton and Johnson have turned into only two this year to Guyton. The difference is huge.

Comment

Working...
                          X