Hire New DC and Replace Hill? (was Vic Fangio, Wink Martindale)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Rambler View Post
    Very different defensive philosophies that probably can't be reconciled. Martindale is aggressive, and calls a lot of blitzes, Staley doesn't.
    If you brought in Martindale, he would have to stop calling as many blitzes just because we don't have a run-first offense. His D can't ask guys to sprint around full bore on every play with as many plays as our D is out there. There is a reason that blitz-heavy defenses almost always have a run-first O to compliment them.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

If you brought in Martindale, he would have to stop calling as many blitzes just because we don't have a run-first offense. His D can't ask guys to sprint around full bore on every play with as many plays as our D is out there. There is a reason that blitz-heavy defenses almost always have a run-first O to compliment them.
      I don't get this at all. Better designed blitzes is ok in my book especially when it's 3rd and 15 and we give those up playing soft anyways.

:wtf:
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I don't get this at all. Better designed blitzes is ok in my book especially when it's 3rd and 15 and we give those up playing soft anyways.

:wtf:
        this team has been in the cellar regarding 3rd down conversion rate. it's pretty sad to see teams consistently converting 3rd downs. and that is why they are so gassed late in games...they cant stop an O on 3rd down.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Staley is our DC, friends. That ain't changing. He was hired based upon a lot of things, but his defensive system is a big reason. Telesco said as much in his presser. And Staley said himself that he did an excellent job coordinating the defense this season, his best job ever. And a big name like Martindale or Fangio aint gonna come here to stand around and do what Staley tells them to do. That is what Hill is for.

Only way it happens is if:

- Martindale is radioactive for some reason and can only get an advisor job
          - Fangio wants to coast a year and help out his little buddy as an advisor while he figures his next move

Both of these guys will be sought after by the new HCs taking jobs this year.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            Staley is our DC, friends. That ain't changing. He was hired based upon a lot of things, but his defensive system is a big reason. Telesco said as much in his presser. And Staley said himself that he did an excellent job coordinating the defense this season, his best job ever. And a big name like Martindale or Fangio aint gonna come here to stand around and do what Staley tells them to do. That is what Hill is for.

- Fangio wants to coast a year and help out his little buddy as an advisor while he figures his next move

TG
            Thats a good idea for Fangio -maybe he wants to coast for a year

Personally, the job I would want Fangio for is the person who scouts the Chargers and gives blunt feedback to STaley and the coaches about
            --this is what I see on offense, defense and special teams
            You are getting too complacent or running this scheme over and over

Comment

• Heatmiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I do see Staley being smart enough to hire Martindale as "Blitz Coordinator" or some other specialty job if Martindale wants to go that route. Staley seeks to learn as much as he can and he could learn a lot of wrinkles from Wink. But I just don't think this is reality. Martindale will go to the Raiders or Jags or Miami or maybe even Steelers as DC. In fact I think Steelers would be a great fit for him.

TG

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Fangio is 63. His age could factor in on the taking a year off, depending on how long he wants to coach.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

TG
                  Yeah, Staley will continue to be the de-facto defensive coordinator: he and Hill will continue to develop the game plan, & he will call the defenses.
                  Fangio is a pipe dream for some.

However, for those who think it is only a matter of Staley now bringing in 'his' type of players, and everything will then work out: I don't think that is for certain.
                  Rightly or wrongly, his reputation as a defensive whiz has been tarnished this year, and the Rams don't seem to miss him in the playoffs.

Players talk to each other, and no doubt many on the Charger D will not be singing praises about him throughout the league:
                  some of that criticism will be blame shifting, no doubt. If it is well known that you shape your defense to fit player strengths, and
                  if some of your players are telling others that they didn't feel comfortable in the system, outsiders will take note. All the talk about
                  players not being in the right run fit, or not learning the proper technique - that stuff doesn't escape outside players attentions.
                  All the talk about getting players who are better fits is basically saying that he doesn't shape defenses to player's strengths.

Staley has had the ear of every defensive player coming in, due to his reputation; now, some are going to start questioning if his ways are for the best
                  concerning theirs career and the overall defensive product.

As for the more coveted free agents, they also will wonder if the Chargers are the best place to showcase their skills.

Staley has placed himself behind the eight ball at the moment.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

I do see Staley being smart enough to hire Martindale as "Blitz Coordinator" or some other specialty job if Martindale wants to go that route. Staley seeks to learn as much as he can and he could learn a lot of wrinkles from Wink. But I just don't think this is reality. Martindale will go to the Raiders or Jags or Miami or maybe even Steelers as DC. In fact I think Steelers would be a great fit for him.

TG
                    An old hand to assist Staley on D in an advisory and teaching role would be ideal: and to help tweek things a bit.
                    The i wouldn't change anything route will be bumpy.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Yeah, Staley will continue to be the de-facto defensive coordinator: he and Hill will continue to develop the game plan, & he will call the defenses.

However, for those who think it is only a matter of Staley now bringing in 'his' type of players, and everything will then work out: I don't think that is for certain.
                      Rightly or wrongly, his reputation as a defensive whiz has been tarnished this year, and the Rams don't seem to miss him in the playoffs.

Players talk to each other, and no doubt many on the Charger D will not be singing praises about him throughout the league:
                      some of that criticism will be blame shifting, no doubt. If it is well known that you shape your defense to fit player strengths, and
                      some of your players are telling others that they didn't feel comfortable in the system, outsiders will take note.

Staley has had the ear of every defensive player coming in, due to his reputation; now, some are going to start questioning if his ways are for the best

As for the more coveted free agents, they also will wonder if the Chargers are the best place to showcase their skills.

Staley has place himself behind the eight ball at the moment.
                      We all know he can jump rope or chew Bubble gum but can he do it at the same time without choking on it! I will say this again...if we have even a half way decent DC we could have been at least 15% better than we were. You can see how tight the margin for victory is once you get to the playoffs. Staley.... find somebody your comfortable with and can work with and stop trying to do everything yourself! You need a brain trust as well Mr. Staley.

:whistlin:
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

if some of your players are telling others that they didn't feel comfortable in the system, outsiders will take note. All the talk about
                        players not being in the right run fit, or not learning the proper technique - that stuff doesn't escape outside players attentions.
                        All the talk about getting players who are better fits is basically saying that he doesn't shape defenses to player's strengths.

Some really great points. I think Staley is still pretty attractive for free agents because of his aggressiveness and how exciting the Chargers were and because of Herbert. But if he flames out again next season, all your points will be even more accurate and have more intensity to them.

TG

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Don’t buy this at all. This isn’t some toxic wasteland like the Jags were last year, they were a one stop away from the playoffs team. Players have egos and think that they can be difference makers and guys like Bosa and James who love it here and sing praises of the coaches. Add in a stud QB in Herbert on O and the cap space we have and I see zero problems attracting players.

Comment

Working...
                          X