Hire New DC and Replace Hill? (was Vic Fangio, Wink Martindale)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltgang74
    We Are The Storm!
    • Aug 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Best scoring offense in the 4th Quarter of ALL-TIME in the league, and you give it a D.

Just fucking Wow.
    Because there is 3 more qtrs to the game.Just sayin..

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Right, when you see the stats the offense put up - pretty good
      Receivers still need to catch the ball more - but end of the day, offense was not the problem
      Offense was not the problem.

Hey BoltKnob, thought just occurred to me: why don't the Bears take a run at Vic Fangio as HC? The fanbase would love it. Yes, they've got to get a new GM in place first, and second, MUST change their cheap-ass ways as an organization. That Olin Kreutz story about the Bears is downright pathetic.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/bears-legend-olin-kreutz-insultingly-low-offer-return/590007

image_5401.jpg

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Because there is 3 more qtrs to the game.Just sayin..
        The offense is not the problem. I guess it DOES need saying. Huh.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Offense was not the problem.

Hey BoltKnob, thought just occurred to me: why don't the Bears take a run at Vic Fangio as HC? The fanbase would love it. Yes, they've got to get a new GM in place first, and second, MUST change their cheap-ass ways as an organization. That Olin Kreutz story about the Bears is downright pathetic.

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/bears-legend-olin-kreutz-insultingly-low-offer-return/590007

image_5401.jpg
          Well he was already DC there. So not sure that will be an option
          :Plus with Fields need a good OC type -- Daboll might make sense

I really hope Staley has reached out to his mentor though

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Well he was already DC there. So not sure that will be an option
            :Plus with Fields need a good OC type -- Daboll might make sense

I really hope Staley has reached out to his mentor though
            Imagine Vic in Chicago with a capable offensive coordinator, Denver is moving in an offensive-minded direction. I sense Chicago will go back to their identity of being the Monsters of The Midway and hire a GM with that conservative mind-set. Then, hire a defensive-minded head coach. That's my pitch for Vic landing in Chicago.

Broncos are going away from defensive to offensive. IMO.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Top 5 scoring offense in his 1st year and he gets a D.
              wow, you're a very tough grader.

Improving the right side of line will make the offense better.

I think you will still complain about Lombardi even if they lead the league in scoring next year.
              And I'm pretty sure your take will be something very simple like, they don't throw deep enough or Staley had to go for it on 4th down because Lombardi play calling sucks.
              I want to see much better consistency: I didn't see it this year.
              I want to separate Herbert heroics from the offense as a whole....they scored 32 points last Sunday,
              but the last 17 came from Herbert overcoming the offenses stagnation.

Here are the losses and wins from the last 12 games with my snarky comments: a checkmark indicates my belief that Lombo contributed strongly in the loss.

Jan 9 - Raiders (30 minutes without scoring, finding themselves down by 15) Loss
              Jan 2 - Broncos (13 points without the aid of turnovers against an injury depleted team before finally being broken open with a kick off return) Win
              Dec 26 - Houston (a shit fest against backups of one of the leagues worst offenses) Loss
              Dec 19 - Chiefs (not really any problems with the offense - they did good: no Chris Jones) Loss
              Dec 12 - Giants (like shooting fish in a barrel II) Win
              Dec 5 - Bengals (one of their best performances) Win
              Nov 28 - Denver (a shit fest) Loss
              Nov 21 - Steelers (like shooting fish in a barrel I: no watt/fitzpatrick) Win
              Nov 14 - Viking (a shit fest: outschemed by Zimmer who was missing stars) Loss
              Nov 7 - Eagles (no problems - good job) Win
              Oct 31 - Patriots (outschemed by Belichick - garbage td late) Loss
              Oct 17 - Ravens (a shit fest) Loss

That's 6 losses where the offense had a strong hand in the defeat, and they are the unit with the most talent.
              A 7th would be their failure against Dallas.

I don't care if they were 5th in scoring...too damn inconsistent.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                I understand.
                It's all about consistent great play in all 3 phases.
                29th defense 28th special teams
                Complementary football.

Offense can be be better but when they have those lulls, the other units have to pick it up. Right?
                Who has it better than us?

Comment

• LOhunter
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

I don't want him to replace the DC.
                  Staley calls the defense.

But i do think it would be nice if they added Flores or Fangio as assistant DC or something to get them on staff.
                  Staley needs to be replaced. At the very least the organization needs to replace his D coordinator with someone who knows how to run a D. All year long we have heard how he likes to be involved with different groups including the QB groups. If he is calling the plays on D, he did a piss poor job and maybe he should have spent more time focused on trying not to have one of the worse run and 3rd down defenses in the NFL. This problem with the run D has existed and been apparent all year. Why didn't Staley and Telesco make changes including trading for help prior to the deadline? Akeem Hicks...others were available. Incompetence...arrogance....being cheap; not sure the reason but it cost them a chance to make the playoffs. Staley can say that he is this aggressive coach who is playing to win but so far it is only talk. His decision making is very questionable and led to the loss of at least 3 games. If Staley is still here in 2022 (which I am sure he will be), as a minimum he needs to have a new, competent D coordinator who calls the plays. The Chargers had the FOURth ranked offense in the NFL this year and they are not in the playoffs. Hard to fathom unless you have seen this D and some of the errors committed by Staley.

Comment

• LOhunter
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

I want to separate Herbert heroics from the offense as a whole....they scored 32 points last Sunday,

Here are the losses and wins from the last 12 games with my snarky comments: a checkmark indicates my belief that Lombo contributed strongly in the loss.

Jan 9 - Raiders (30 minutes without scoring, finding themselves down by 15) Loss
                    Jan 2 - Broncos (13 points without the aid of turnovers against an injury depleted team before finally being broken open with a kick off return) Win
                    Dec 26 - Houston (a shit fest against backups of one of the leagues worst offenses) Loss
                    Dec 19 - Chiefs (not really any problems with the offense - they did good: no Chris Jones) Loss

That's 6 losses where the offense had a strong hand in the defeat, and they are the unit with the most talent.

This is all about the lousy D and lousy coaching not the offense. There is no team in the NFL that has to totally rely on their offense, other than the Chargers, in order to win. The Chiefs would have lost many more games this year had their defense not improved and won some of those games. Name one game where the Chargers won because the D was dominant and stopped the opponent. There isn't one. Staley is this so called defensive guru and he totally failed. In the 6 games you checked above, the opponent averaged 32 points a game. Hard to win when you can't stop the other side.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

I understand.
                      It's all about consistent great play in all 3 phases.
                      29th defense 28th special teams
                      Complementary football.

Offense can be be better but when they have those lulls, the other units have to pick it up. Right?
                      Lulls like 30 minutes of shooting themselves in the foot and then giving the opposing offense the ball on the 19 yard line.....only to have the D hold.
                      Yeah, that type of complementary football wears out the defense.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

One of my biggest issues with Lombo is ALL THE STALLED DRIVES...and a LOT of those 3-and-outs are due to poor, PREDICTABLE playcalling! That LONG stretch in the Raider game with no scoring by us...just mind-numbing...then later on, sending Ekkie up the gut TWICE vs. a stacked box...dude, seriously? Awful, awful playcalling at times...

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by LOhunter View Post

This is all about the lousy D and lousy coaching not the offense. There is no team in the NFL that has to totally rely on their offense, other than the Chargers, in order to win. The Chiefs would have lost many more games this year had their defense not improved and won some of those games. Name one game where the Chargers won because the D was dominant and stopped the opponent. There isn't one. Staley is this so called defensive guru and he totally failed. In the 6 games you checked above, the opponent averaged 32 points a game. Hard to win when you can't stop the other side.
                          Great! Chargers don't have to worry about the Oline, running back, tight end or speed on offense in the offseason.

Comment

Working...
                          X