Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
    WEEK 4. vs Cleveland.

The Browns were the poster child for self inflicted wounds this week. We should be concerned that the Chargers could barely take advantage of it, even as banged up as we are.

TOP: 34:19 to 25:41 in favor of Cleveland. Our inability to run the ball is killing us here and it won't change until we some resemblance a run game. Blame coaching, injuries or players doesn't matter. Even with Cleveland giving us 5 free 1st downs from penalty's we couldn't control the clock.

Turnover Diff: +1. Finally! Our 1st turnover free game and we came out ahead in the differential. We were not able to take advantage of turnover, which was disappointing.

Penalty's: 6 for 31 yards to us and 12 for 91 yards for them. We gave them 2 free 1st downs and they gave us 5! If not for these gifts I don't think we win. We had trouble moving the chains and as the injury's piled up it got worse.

3rd down efficiency: 3 of 11. This is awful and exactly why I don't think we win if not for the Browns repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot.

The Browns won this game on paper, IMO. We were lucky in more than 1 way. The "It" factor was Rivers. He protected the ball and did the kind of thing we are used to seeing him do. He stood in collapsing pockets and delivered some really nice throws. Took some hits in the process, but he's not afraid to do that. There were several times I noted that Manning would've folded under that pressure and never allow himself to take those hits.
    We outgained them, had fewer turnovers and fewer penalties than they did, despite seeming half of our roster out. The only thing they did was win the TOP battle. How did the Browns win this game on paper?

Comment

• MakoShark
      Disgruntled
      • Jun 2013
      • North Alabama
      • Send PM

I had to look again Rich and honestly I thought they had out gained us. My mistake. I still feel we were extremely lucky to come away with the W.
      sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

38 pass plays to 21 running plays. We were not far behind in the score but the ballence would suggest otherwise. We are running to pass.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

I had to look again Rich and honestly I thought they had out gained us. My mistake. I still feel we were extremely lucky to come away with the W.
          We won because Rivers is our QB - that could have been a 10+ point loss if not for him.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
            What happened to the Ingram we saw in pre-season blowing past tackles?

Was that against 2nd and 3rd stringers or something?

Emmanuel has disappeared since the Lions game as well.
            Both are still moving pretty well. Both still show great upfield explosion. Just Cinci and Minn exploited it by running inside and outside, and took them to the cleaners. AP should send a personal thank you to both of them, because the interior DL did a much better job against both teams, so getting yards outside and offtackle was way, way easier. Plus, they didn't help get any RB to the ground coming off the edge.

They need to start really working on shedding blocks and stringing their moves together. You can't spend all game long running around players. Kendall Reyes is living proof of that, although he put together an OK game on Sunday (finally).

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              We won because Rivers is our QB - that could have been a 10+ point loss if not for him.
              I agree and said as much, Rich. But, if not for the Browns self inflicted wounds I'm not sure even Rivers would have been enough.
              sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

I agree and said as much, Rich. But, if not for the Browns self inflicted wounds I'm not sure even Rivers would have been enough.
                I always kind of get the feeling that a lot of fans do not appreciate what we have in Rivers. He will be very tough to replace and I sure hope we don't get stuck in QB purgatory like so many other teams are when his time is up.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

We probably will be stuck in QB purgatory because with Rivers we're probably good for at least 7 wins a season even with the shittiest support cast. Historically we haven't had an Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings except for Rivers himself, but he was drafted because the consensus at the time was Brees had to be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                  X