Tom Telesco Discussion - Retained for 2023 Season.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

That certainly is cringe-worthy. Is it true? Does Dean & little John actually stand in front of the locker room door after games and eyeball players as they pass by?
    Maybe they are just there to ask those who performed poorly to take a pay cut....something innocent like that.
    F2H is a fabulist - just making up rich tapestries out of imaginary threads to then bitch about the weave. What part of his fantasy is even fact?

- Spani don’t fire him only because all mistakes are really theirs?
    - Spani force players to greet them at the locker room - wtf is that even? Weird baby shit there
    - Spani have no pride of ownership
    - Spani only care about bottom line
    - they don’t want to field best possible team

I don’t believe they don’t want to win, i would simply agree they aren’t good at the ownership thing. They spend up close to the cap every year, year after year. They always have. They aren’t sitting on massive piles of unspent salary cap money. They are investing in facilities, etc. Competence and desire are not the same thing.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

F2H is a fabulist - just making up rich tapestries out of imaginary threads to then bitch about the weave. What part of his fantasy is even fact?

- Spani force players to greet them at the locker room - wtf is that even? Weird baby shit there

I don’t believe they don’t want to win, i would simply agree they aren’t good at the ownership thing. They spend up close to the cap every year, year after year. They always have. They aren’t sitting on massive piles of unspent salary cap money. They are investing in facilities, etc. Competence and desire are not the same thing.
      They spend to the cap - which is true. And granted, they haven't been good enough over an extended period of time to "push the cap" like say how the Saints have done, or the Rams. And I get the Rams have a bunch of cash from Walmart at their disposal that they can always pay the player now but take the cap hit later. But they also haven't been a team to "maximize" the cap and manipulate the hell out of it like other teams. And maybe because they have been below average, its a good thing they aren't the Giants cap wise

I just think Dean is a below average business person w Dean just seems dense and obtuse to me. Not smart. Like he couldn't open a Slurpee stand in Death Valley in the middle of summer and make money type of dense .

I think this offseason will show just how committed Dean is to winning in LA. He has the cap space, he has the QB - if he truly wants to win market - the is the year to take some of those chips and push them in. Not all, but some.

EDITED
      Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 01-20-2022, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Bolt-O commented
        Editing a comment
        Alex Spanos divided the ownership of the Chargers equally among his children, and they decided Dean would be in charge. It might have been Alex's wish that he be in charge, but that has nothing to do with his ethnic background.
    • powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Let's just say I though it very odd that timid Dean Spanos palavers in corridors post game, compelling 250 + pound sweaty behemoths to greet him.

Telesco, win or lose, said that he greets players after games heading to the locker room......maybe his twin shadow little John is there.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

That certainly is cringe-worthy. Is it true? Does Dean & little John actually stand in front of the locker room door after games and eyeball players as they pass by?
        Maybe they are just there to ask those who performed poorly to take a pay cut....something innocent like that.
        Uh...I dislike, or even despise all the Spanos clan, but this is not unusual at all - lots of owners and GMs meet and greet players before and after games.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Am I lying about the Spanos family lining up on either side of the entrance to the locker room as players come in from the field? It’s in the ‘all in’ videos so how can you imply that I’m making it up? Perhaps the word forced is the wrong word to use but seriously, what would you call it when these player’s careers are in the Spanos’ hands? Do they honestly have the option to brush past them without greeting them? Maybe one or two guys on the roster like a Bosa or Herbert but the rest of the guys, IDK?

The locker room is a sacred place for the coaches and the players. IDK about you but in my personal life I’ve never enjoyed bosses or supervisors that were constantly over the shoulder or trying to hang out with us workers during ‘our time’ it makes for an awkward situation. As an owner I’d like to think that I would respect the player’s and coach’s personal space as my employees, but that’s just me.

As for the rest of it, I’m not trying to pass any of it off as a fact. They’re just the opinions of a frustrated life long Charger fan that goes back to the days before the Spanos family owned the team. When I was in HS and I learned that the Spanos were diehard raider fans that wanted to buy into the raider organization and were instead directed by Al Davis to invest in the Chargers, how exactly was I supposed to feel about these people? I already hated the raiders beyond belief and the idea that my beloved Chargers were going to be purchased by diehard raider fans from Norcal didn’t sit well then and it’s still upsetting as heck today in light of the move and everything else. I don’t know for a fact that TT keeps his job because he allows himself to be used as a meat shield, it’s something I came up with to try and make sense out of why he hasn’t lost his job. I understand if you don’t like the sound of that maybe it’s upsetting but it’s just a stupid theory, I never claimed it was the truth and I have no evidence to support it, it’s pure speculation as you said ‘fantasy’ but show me where in my post I claimed it was factual? Are we not allowed to speculate here? Considering some of the stuff I read here I think my musings are pretty tame by comparison. Sorry I upset you somehow, perhaps you’d rather I jumped on board with the fire TT group?
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Tom Telesco: I don’t think a lot about my job security

Posted by Josh Alper on January 20, 2022, 2:27 PM EST

Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco's ninth year on the job ended without a trip to the postseason and that makes it seven times that the Chargers have fallen short of the playoffs during his tenure.

Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco’s ninth year on the job ended without a trip to the postseason and that makes it seven times that the Chargers have fallen short of the playoffs during his tenure.

Telesco was asked why the team has habitually been out of the playoffs over the course of his tenure and said he’s “not really concerned with past years” because he saw this year as “a beginning more than anything else” due to head coach Brandon Staley’s arrival. He called the year an “exciting start” to Staley’s time with the team and that he loves “the identity” that Staley has given the Chargers.

Exciting or not, the inability to advance to the playoffs with a roster that includes players like quarterback Justin Herbert, defensive end Joey Bosa, and wide receiver Keenan Allen led to a question about whether Telesco felt he was on the hot seat heading into Year 10 with the team.

“I don’t think a lot about job security,” Telesco said.

Telesco said he understands outside frustration with the team missing the playoffs so often and that he believes they’ve been aggressive in trying to get the team where it wants to go. He also said he doesn’t believe in “windows” when it comes to making a run with the players listed above, but others might not feel the same way if the third season of Herbert’s career passes without a playoff berth.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              Tom Telesco: I don’t think a lot about my job security

Posted by Josh Alper on January 20, 2022, 2:27 PM EST

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rity/#comments

Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco’s ninth year on the job ended without a trip to the postseason and that makes it seven times that the Chargers have fallen short of the playoffs during his tenure.

Telesco was asked why the team has habitually been out of the playoffs over the course of his tenure and said he’s “not really concerned with past years” because he saw this year as “a beginning more than anything else” due to head coach Brandon Staley’s arrival. He called the year an “exciting start” to Staley’s time with the team and that he loves “the identity” that Staley has given the Chargers.

Exciting or not, the inability to advance to the playoffs with a roster that includes players like quarterback Justin Herbert, defensive end Joey Bosa, and wide receiver Keenan Allen led to a question about whether Telesco felt he was on the hot seat heading into Year 10 with the team.

“I don’t think a lot about job security,” Telesco said.

Telesco said he understands outside frustration with the team missing the playoffs so often and that he believes they’ve been aggressive in trying to get the team where it wants to go. He also said he doesn’t believe in “windows” when it comes to making a run with the players listed above, but others might not feel the same way if the third season of Herbert’s career passes without a playoff berth.
              What do NFL GMs make a year? Just speculating here but TT has probably already made enough money during his 9 years with the Chargers to live comfortably for the rest of his life and maybe even to take care of his family going forward. Aren’t GM contracts guaranteed like coaching deals? Whatever he’s been doing behind the scenes to endear him to the family has enabled him to keep his tenure going and that by itself is noteworthy. The guy is probably laughing all the way to the bank every time he deposits one of his pay checks as well he should. I admire the guy and I apologize for the cynicism but I’ve been around long enough to see entire generations of awesome charger players come and go, coaches, GMs etc…I just don’t have anymore faith in this organization and that has nothing to do with TT. The only thing that I hope is that I live long enough to witness an ownership change. I believe that’s what it’ll take to turn this franchise around. Hopefully if Dean’s sister gets her way we’ll see it sooner rather than later
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

WTH??? He doesn’t worry about job security with his 9 year record of underperformance?

well, that’s the problem…….because he would if he worked for ownership that strived for greatness.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                  WTH??? He doesn’t worry about job security with his 9 year record of underperformance?

well, that’s the problem…….because he would if he worked for ownership that strived for greatness.
                  And that’s what I believe too, hence the cynicism. TT understands what his job is, his job is to make Dean and John Spanos happy. Not the fanbase, not the players, his job is to keep those two men happy, by saving money? By being a puppet? Maybe he makes them laugh, laughs at their jokes or lets them win at golf, LOL! It doesn’t matter what it is because nothing would change with a new GM, they would simply go out and hire another guy just like TT.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Even if he did, he wouldn’t say it out loud. Desperate people tend to do desperate things that can also easily hurt the team. I think about AJ’s last season and all the crazy FA spending that led to a losing record and severely limited our cap the next few years.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Even if he did, he wouldn’t say it out loud. Desperate people tend to do desperate things that can also easily hurt the team. I think about AJ’s last season and all the crazy FA spending that led to a losing record and severely limited our cap the next few years.
                      Right. I want Telesco to be active in free agency - but with the hope that its smart strategic signings with good input from Staley and not just signing a bunch of guys to look busy or doing something like Keim did this offseason as those signings were short term. I would like the signings to be building a core group for the next 2, 3, 4 years.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Right. I want Telesco to be active in free agency - but with the hope that its smart strategic signings with good input from Staley and not just signing a bunch of guys to look busy or doing something like Keim did this offseason as those signings were short term. I would like the signings to be building a core group for the next 2, 3, 4 years.
                        I don’t know how much core you can get in FA. Even Linsley looks like he only has 2 years left because of his back injury. It starts with drafting better and resigning the right guys. Those are the core.

Comment

Working...
                        X