Tom Telesco Discussion - Retained for 2023 Season.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t know how much core you can get in FA. Even Linsley looks like he only has 2 years left because of his back injury. It starts with drafting better and resigning the right guys. Those are the core.
    I could care less if they don’t sign anyone of note in FA, if they cut bulaga and take care of their young FAs and bring back hopkins they’ll be looking good come draft time with a chance to fill some holes at DT, CB, and OL in the draft. No more hunter henry deals, they need to keep their young core group guys going forward.
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Am I lying about the Spanos family lining up on either side of the entrance to the locker room as players come in from the field? It’s in the ‘all in’ videos so how can you imply that I’m making it up? Perhaps the word forced is the wrong word to use but seriously, what would you call it when these player’s careers are in the Spanos’ hands? Do they honestly have the option to brush past them without greeting them? Maybe one or two guys on the roster like a Bosa or Herbert but the rest of the guys, IDK?

The locker room is a sacred place for the coaches and the players. IDK about you but in my personal life I’ve never enjoyed bosses or supervisors that were constantly over the shoulder or trying to hang out with us workers during ‘our time’ it makes for an awkward situation. As an owner I’d like to think that I would respect the player’s and coach’s personal space as my employees, but that’s just me.

As for the rest of it, I’m not trying to pass any of it off as a fact. They’re just the opinions of a frustrated life long Charger fan that goes back to the days before the Spanos family owned the team. When I was in HS and I learned that the Spanos were diehard raider fans that wanted to buy into the raider organization and were instead directed by Al Davis to invest in the Chargers, how exactly was I supposed to feel about these people? I already hated the raiders beyond belief and the idea that my beloved Chargers were going to be purchased by diehard raider fans from Norcal didn’t sit well then and it’s still upsetting as heck today in light of the move and everything else. I don’t know for a fact that TT keeps his job because he allows himself to be used as a meat shield, it’s something I came up with to try and make sense out of why he hasn’t lost his job. I understand if you don’t like the sound of that maybe it’s upsetting but it’s just a stupid theory, I never claimed it was the truth and I have no evidence to support it, it’s pure speculation as you said ‘fantasy’ but show me where in my post I claimed it was factual? Are we not allowed to speculate here? Considering some of the stuff I read here I think my musings are pretty tame by comparison. Sorry I upset you somehow, perhaps you’d rather I jumped on board with the fire TT group?
      Agree.

Their being there is at best pointless, and probably a distraction.

But hey, if you have been running a successful franchise, keep doing what you are doing.
      Last edited by powderblueboy; 01-20-2022, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t know how much core you can get in FA. Even Linsley looks like he only has 2 years left because of his back injury. It starts with drafting better and resigning the right guys. Those are the core.
        Not talking a lot of guys - maybe 2, at most 3 free agents but hopefully they are not over the hill (Thomas Davis or say more injury prone, Bulaga)/ Might cost more for younger but Bulaga proves if you aren't on the field, doesn't matter the cost.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

I could care less if they don’t sign anyone of note in FA, if they cut bulaga and take care of their young FAs and bring back hopkins they’ll be looking good come draft time with a chance to fill some holes at DT, CB, and OL in the draft. No more hunter henry deals, they need to keep their young core group guys going forward.
          In a way I disagree because this group went 9-8. So, how many players do you want to bring back from a 9-8 team.

They need to
          1) sign key free agents of their own: I have names like Aboushi, Hopkins, Anderson, Parham, Norton (min level), Guyton (his tender), Nwosu, Jones, Kyzir White, Roberts. MIke Williams - probably too

2) have a draft class like 2021

3) augment the roster with free agents from other teams that are better players than the current players on the roster.

I don't use free agency to build a roster but it can be used to augment your roster. One of the best free agent classes was when AJ or Butler signed Goff, Foley and Godfrey. Foley got shot, or ran over which ended his career but Goff and Godfrey were solid dependable players.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Am I lying about the Spanos family lining up on either side of the entrance to the locker room as players come in from the field? It’s in the ‘all in’ videos so how can you imply that I’m making it up? Perhaps the word forced is the wrong word to use but seriously, what would you call it when these player’s careers are in the Spanos’ hands? Do they honestly have the option to brush past them without greeting them? Maybe one or two guys on the roster like a Bosa or Herbert but the rest of the guys, IDK?

The locker room is a sacred place for the coaches and the players. IDK about you but in my personal life I’ve never enjoyed bosses or supervisors that were constantly over the shoulder or trying to hang out with us workers during ‘our time’ it makes for an awkward situation. As an owner I’d like to think that I would respect the player’s and coach’s personal space as my employees, but that’s just me.
            Again, watch what the GMs and owners of other teams do - some of them hang out on the field, some near the locker room like TT and the Spanii and some, like Jerry Jones, even go into the locker rooms. This is nothing unique.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

At least TT sees the smoke. Next comes the fire.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                WTH??? He doesn’t worry about job security with his 9 year record of underperformance?

well, that’s the problem…….because he would if he worked for ownership that strived for greatness.
                I think you guys are reading more into that comment than he means. I took it to mean he doesn't spend time thinking about something that might or might not happen and is out of his control, not that he has the luxury of knowing he'll never get fired.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think you guys are reading more into that comment than he means. I took it to mean he doesn't spend time thinking about something that might or might not happen and is out of his control, not that he has the luxury of knowing he'll never get fired.
                  Makes sense but it’s more fun to fly off the handle.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

In a way I disagree because this group went 9-8. So, how many players do you want to bring back from a 9-8 team.

They need to
                    1) sign key free agents of their own: I have names like Aboushi, Hopkins, Anderson, Parham, Norton (min level), Guyton (his tender), Nwosu, Jones, Kyzir White, Roberts. MIke Williams - probably too

3) augment the roster with free agents from other teams that are better players than the current players on the roster.

I don't use free agency to build a roster but it can be used to augment your roster. One of the best free agent classes was when AJ or Butler signed Goff, Foley and Godfrey. Foley got shot, or ran over which ended his career but Goff and Godfrey were solid dependable players.
                    That’s it, that’s what I was referring to by signing the young FAs, everyone you mentioned in #1 I believe should be brought back, so I guess we agree on that. The question is will they bring those guys back? That’s the $64,000 question. If they do that this offseason it will have been a successful offseason in my opinion. No more letting young talent walk, they had a proven (top ten?) NFL TE and a ton of cap space and they let him walk last year, why? That’s not the right message to send the rest of the guys on the team.

I’d rather they sign our guys and then augment one or two quality depth FAs or perhaps land another bargain priced aboushi type player at any position they see fit. I’d rather they did that as opposed to making a splash FA signing and losing a bunch of those guys you mentioned.
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Again, watch what the GMs and owners of other teams do - some of them hang out on the field, some near the locker room like TT and the Spanii and some, like Jerry Jones, even go into the locker rooms. This is nothing unique.
                      I just bothers me to see them there, can’t explain it. But something about it just feels wrong, like fake, contrived, pretentious, IDK what it is. I’ll have to meditate on it some more and try to understand why it bothers me. I think I just feel bad for the players or something, these are the same people that they have to deal with in contract negotiations and things of things of that sort.

Maybe if they were down there celebrating a super bowl dub with the players? I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t bother me then

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

They need to

I don't know of any team who has made the Super Bowl recently without key contributions from free agents.
                        Maybe one of the Patriot teams.

You got to succeed in the draft, and then once you are a contender, you need to succeed in free agency.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

• 69-76 record
                          • 2 playoff appearances
                          • 2 playoff wins
                          • 0 conference championship game appearances
                          • 1 season of 10 or more wins

#Telesco

Sub 500 Tom asks for patience. Both Mayock and Elway are out and both had a better record at GM in the AFC West than Telesco. Because

Bronco & Raider fans demand more?

Comment

Working...
                          X