Tom Telesco Discussion - Retained for 2023 Season.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

AJ was an asshole. That’s ok if you’re winning but when the winning goes so does the asshole. TT plays nice in the sandbox.

AJ was here for 10 years. That’s about as much as TT.
    I keep posting this but its so telling to me. Nevermind the playoff record with TT....look at the Point Differentials. Telesco has 5 negative PD's..a zero and only 4 seasons with a positive point differential. And not one of them is triple digits.

FgRIVUrUYAALyBB.png

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I was thinking more in line with trading Kenneth Murray for either Jonathon Taylor or Jonah Jackson.

Yes, trading the only one of his two inspired draft picks in his 10 drafts (the other being Keenan Allen)
      would certainly be a Telesco fuck you, i'll leave you with absolutely nothing after all this time moment.
      isser:

One final piece of incoming trash for us to remember him.
      So Bosa and Derwin don't "inspire" you...?
      Why would Indy or Detroit need yet another LB... they both need a QB... Apparently renting other teams' re-treads earns you a combined 8-12 record.
      You do realize that's worse than 5-5...? And while we'll be making our SB push this/next year with Herbert... Lions will be trying to figure out how to un-load Jared Goff (and his $30 million cap hit). Maybe they can call the Colts... I hear Matt Ryan might be available... LOL!

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

AJ was an asshole. That’s ok if you’re winning but when the winning goes so does the asshole. TT plays nice in the sandbox.

AJ was here for 10 years. That’s about as much as TT.
        AJ's teams won 3 playoff games in 10 years, despite having some of the most talented rosters in the league. Not sure I'd ever use him as the beacon of light for a successful GM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

So Bosa and Derwin don't "inspire" you...?
          Why would Indy or Detroit need yet another LB... they both need a QB... Apparently renting other teams' re-treads earns you a combined 8-12 record.
          You do realize that's worse than 5-5...? And while we'll be making our SB push this/next year with Herbert... Lions will be trying to figure out how to un-load Jared Goff (and his $30 million cap hit). Maybe they can call the Colts... I hear Matt Ryan might be available... LOL!
          Derwin and Slater were needs & no brainers ...... every idiot on this board was hoping Telesco would choose them.
          Every idiot!

He had Bosa (3rd), Ramsey (5th), Stanley (6th) & DeForest Buckner (7th) to choose from in 2016 - anyone of those guys would have worked out.
          Later, in the 2nd round, he had Chris Jones and Xavien Howard go just after the Hunter Henry pick: I loved Chris jones and remember thinking before the draft that
          i'd be just as happy with him over Bosa.

Of course Indy wouldn't make that trade. Why trade one of your stars for someone else's mistake earlier in the draft?

Not inspired.
          Has he been fired yet? Do it today!

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

AJ's teams won 3 playoff games in 10 years, despite having some of the most talented rosters in the league. Not sure I'd ever use him as the beacon of light for a successful GM.
            Low standards of excellence in Charger history.

Telesco, zero AFC west titles in 10 years ...... fails miserably against the Lord of no rings

Comment

• lightsout42
              Hire a winning coach
              • Oct 2019
              • Send PM

Having balanced, talented, and complete rosters who have what it takes to compete is pretty much the job, no? (Outside of cap management and strategy.) From there it’s on execution and coaching. AJ made some bonehead moves especially later on, but there were some great rosters. I would probably say this year is Telesco’s best roster overall.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Who are the realistic candidates to succeed TT?
                edit: I see Ghost's pick. Interesting.

if TT isn't extended by now, I think that's really telling.
                Back door deal with someone?
                Someone already employed by the Chargers?
                initials with D and J?
                G-Ro knows.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  Who are the realistic candidates to succeed TT?

if TT isn't extended by now, I think that's really telling.
                  Back door deal with someone?
                  Someone already employed by the Chargers?
                  initials with D and J?
                  The Spanos don't like head coaches given the power to choose the GM, that much is clear.
                  They are about dividing power, so that no one can put a strong imprint on the team.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

The Spanos don't like head coaches given the power to choose the GM, that much is clear.
                    They are about dividing power, so that no one can put a strong imprint on the team.
                    Actually I was referring to the old whispers of Daniel Jeremiah.
                    radio commentator for LAC.
                    He looks like a soft enough personality to mesh with baby Spanos.
                    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Actually I was referring to the old whispers of Daniel Jeremiah.
                      radio commentator for LAC.
                      He looks like a soft enough personality to mesh with baby Spanos.
                      Soft and clever enough to put ideas into John Boy's head, making John Boy think that they are his own, is a-okay with me.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Derwin and Slater were needs & no brainers ...... every idiot on this board was hoping Telesco would choose them.
                        Every idiot!

He had Bosa (3rd), Ramsey (5th), Stanley (6th) & DeForest Buckner (7th) to choose from in 2016 - anyone of those guys would have worked out.
                        Later, in the 2nd round, he had Chris Jones and Xavien Howard go just after the Hunter Henry pick: I loved Chris jones and remember thinking before the draft that
                        i'd be just as happy with him over Bosa.

Of course Indy wouldn't make that trade. Why trade one of your stars for someone else's mistake earlier in the draft?

Not inspired.
                        Has he been fired yet? Do it today!
                        Yes, Chris Jones was a great pick. But do you remember who the Chiefs picked before him, in the 1st round...? Of course not, they had no 1st rounder!
                        How about the 3 excellent picks after Chris Jones...? You HAVE to remember KelVarae Russell, Parker Ehringer, and Eric Murray... RIGHT?
                        I mean how inept the Chiefs were to pick those guys when Dak Prescott, Matt Judon, Javon Hargrave, and Joe Thuney sitting right there for the taking...?

Cherry picking is fun... we could do it all day. But it doesn't prove a thing.
                        Bottom line is... Is TT improving as the year's go on...? IMO, yes. Why get rid of him as he becomes more and more effective...?

TT's last 2 year's (still incomplete)

1st: Slater, Zion, Herbert (if you want to go back 3 years). Pretty fucking solid.
                        2nd: ASJ, and used round 2 on Khalil Mack. Super smart moves.
                        3rd-7th rounds are a crap shoot.
                        Palmer, Rumph, Spiller, Salyer, Ogbonnia, Kelly... we'll see how these guys pan out. But I see at least solid depth. And that's what you ask from your GM.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

GM's should be graded on their choices of coaches and talent they bring in (among other tangibles). Results are the responsibility of coaches and players. In the talent department AJ passed the muster, even though in the later years the outcomes were not as impressive. He was a A-hole for sure and his choice of bringing in Turner as the HC is still a big mistake in my book. TT on the other hand has failed on both accounts. His choices in rounds 3-7 have been less than impressive with some glaring mistakes. Those are the rounds a good GM should built his legacy on. On the other hand any GM under Spanos would be difficult to judge. Most organizations have ownership-GM-HC, with the GM making the ultimate decisions. The Chargers have ownership-Football operations-GM-HC. With ownership-Football operations, Spanos, Spanos. Therein lies a problem which makes judging the GM a very difficult task.

Comment

Working...
                          X