Tom Telesco Discussion - Retained for 2023 Season.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Actually I was referring to the old whispers of Daniel Jeremiah.
    radio commentator for LAC.
    He looks like a soft enough personality to mesh with baby Spanos.
    Interesting theory there, 21...u could be on to something...Spani hiring from within, and a guy they get along with...and actually, I'd kind of like to give DJ a shot...dude knows personnel, that's for sure...very interesting...

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Interesting theory there, 21...u could be on to something...Spani hiring from within, and a guy they get along with...and actually, I'd kind of like to give DJ a shot...dude knows personnel, that's for sure...very interesting...
      I think DJ is a more objective version of Telesco in that the personality is soft/agreeable (at least his public persona)
      but he's not afraid to share some bold takes.
      Slater > Sewell was 1 I remember.

I like PowderBlueBoys version, soft but smart enough to manage Baby Spanos.

I always hoped that Telesco was that guy.
      I think Telesco is too adherent to his own biases (Notre Dame/characters, etc) and values it over pure, greasy talent sometimes
      DJ appears to be a better talent evaluator
      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

I think DJ is a more objective version of Telesco in that the personality is soft/agreeable (at least his public persona)

I think Telesco is too adherent to his own biases (Notre Dame/characters, etc) and values it over pure, greasy talent sometimes
        DJ is also good at projecting draft slots correctly, or very close to what they turn out to be. He's the one who called Derwin to us @#17 when just about NOBODY, none of the draftniks and others, thought he would drop that far...

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Give him a nice parting gift in appreciation.
          rice.png

A box of Rice-A-Roni. It's the San Francisco treat.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Didn’t the Raiders just try that and whiff?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

AJ's teams won 3 playoff games in 10 years, despite having some of the most talented rosters in the league. Not sure I'd ever use him as the beacon of light for a successful GM.
              I didn't read anyone in here saying he was. The point was Telesco hasn't done as good of a job as A.J. did, and he was hired to be better and lead us to a Super Bowl title.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Who are the realistic candidates to succeed TT?
                edit: I see Ghost's pick. Interesting.

if TT isn't extended by now, I think that's really telling.
                Back door deal with someone?
                Someone already employed by the Chargers?
                initials with D and J?
                A lot of people on here say Sean Payton didn't make the personnel decisions, but I disagree with that. He pretty much did. His "general manager" in New Orleans was Mickey Loomis, who was also the New Orleans Pelicans executive vice president of basketball operations from 2012-2019, which coincided with eight of the 18 years he was supposedly the general manager of the Saints. There is no way a real NFL general manager has time to also be an NBA team's executive vice president of basketball operations. Payton ran the show in New Orleans.

I bring this up because, while I'm not in favor of hiring Payton, I think it's more important to bring in an iron-willed head coach who will hire his own general manager, a guy he will work well with. You've seen that with Belichick in New England, Carroll in Seattle, and I believe that's what Jim Harbaugh really wants in his return to the NFL, after he didn't get along with Trent Baalke in San Francisco.

By the way, I think people run with the narrative that Harbaugh wears organizations out and ruins them. Uh, where's the evidence of that? Everywhere he's been he's turned losers into winners. The University of San Diego, Stanford, the 49ers, and Michigan were all losing badly before he arrived. He turned them into not just winners, but big-time contenders. Just look at where the 49ers were before he arrived, look at how quickly they turned around, and look at what happened after they replaced him with Jim Tomsula...and then Chip Kelly.

From a 2017 article on Harbaugh's situation in San Francisco:

San Francisco has gone through four head coaches since York assumed the role of team president in December 2008, and just two of them made it more than a single season.

On the podcast, Harbaugh said he hasn't talked to York since leaving San Francisco following the 2014 campaign. Doug Williams of NBC Bay Area said the team is still haunted by York's decision to back then-general manager Trent Baalke "in a battle" with Harbaugh.

While the team has gone 7-25 since Harbaugh left, it did lead to Baalke's firing and the hiring of general manager John Lynch. Harbaugh was supportive of that move on the podcast.

Ultimately, Harbaugh looks like the winner in the trio of Baalke, himself and York. He reached a Super Bowl and three NFC Championship Games during his tenure with San Francisco, and the last time the 49ers enjoyed a winning season without him on the sidelines was in 2002.

Baalke is now fired, York's 49ers are rebuilding following a 2-14 season and Harbaugh led his alma mater Michigan to a 10-3 record in each of the last two years after it reached double-digit wins just once from 2007 to 2014.

I say getting that type of head coach and giving him what he wants is more important right now than identifying Telesco's potential replacement.
                Michigan Wolverines head coach Jim Harbaugh won an NFC championship as coach of the San Francisco 49ers , but he thinks he should have been given a medal as well...

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

A lot of people on here say Sean Payton didn't make the personnel decisions, but I disagree with that. He pretty much did. His "general manager" in New Orleans was Mickey Loomis, who was also the New Orleans Pelicans executive vice president of basketball operations from 2012-2019, which coincided with eight of the 18 years he was supposedly the general manager of the Saints. There is no way a real NFL general manager has time to also be an NBA team's executive vice president of basketball operations. Payton ran the show in New Orleans.

I bring this up because, while I'm not in favor of hiring Payton, I think it's more important to bring in an iron-willed head coach who will hire his own general manager, a guy he will work well with. You've seen that with Belichick in New England, Carroll in Seattle, and I believe that's what Jim Harbaugh really wants in his return to the NFL, after he didn't get along with Trent Baalke in San Francisco.

By the way, I think people run with the narrative that Harbaugh wears organizations out and ruins them. Uh, where's the evidence of that? Everywhere he's been he's turned losers into winners. The University of San Diego, Stanford, the 49ers, and Michigan were all losing badly before he arrived. He turned them into not just winners, but big-time contenders. Just look at where the 49ers were before he arrived, look at how quickly they turned around, and look at what happened after they replaced him with Jim Tomsula...and then Chip Kelly.

From a 2017 article on Harbaugh's situation in San Francisco:

San Francisco has gone through four head coaches since York assumed the role of team president in December 2008, and just two of them made it more than a single season.

On the podcast, Harbaugh said he hasn't talked to York since leaving San Francisco following the 2014 campaign. Doug Williams of NBC Bay Area said the team is still haunted by York's decision to back then-general manager Trent Baalke "in a battle" with Harbaugh.

While the team has gone 7-25 since Harbaugh left, it did lead to Baalke's firing and the hiring of general manager John Lynch. Harbaugh was supportive of that move on the podcast.

Ultimately, Harbaugh looks like the winner in the trio of Baalke, himself and York. He reached a Super Bowl and three NFC Championship Games during his tenure with San Francisco, and the last time the 49ers enjoyed a winning season without him on the sidelines was in 2002.

Baalke is now fired, York's 49ers are rebuilding following a 2-14 season and Harbaugh led his alma mater Michigan to a 10-3 record in each of the last two years after it reached double-digit wins just once from 2007 to 2014.

I say getting that type of head coach and giving him what he wants is more important right now than identifying Telesco's potential replacement.
                  JH is a winner for sure but id like to hear more of this, "wears people down" argument, I never bought it myself but am open to understanding how that could transpire negatively here.
                  I think Herbert would look to be led by a gung-ho type A personality like JH.
                  Herbert would be a fan of the Harbaugh run game and winning culture.
                  G-Ro knows.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

JH is a winner for sure but id like to hear more of this, "wears people down" argument, I never bought it myself but am open to understanding how that could transpire negatively here.
                    I think Herbert would look to be led by a gung-ho type A personality like JH.
                    Herbert would be a fan of the Harbaugh run game and winning culture.
                    Harbaugh inherited an uber talented team when he got to San Fran.

The drafts under Harbaugh were mostly crap.

Having said that, he approaches the game from an aggressive perspective: moreover, a quarterbacks perspective.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

And that could explain the discord between Harbaugh and Baalke, when the 2 don't mesh.

I'm just exploring ideas, not set on anything really.

Other than, we need to win the games we're favored in.
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2022
                        • Send PM

Uber-talented team? The 49ers had seven losing seasons and one 8-8 year before Harbaugh took over and led them to three straight NFC Championship games. After the 2011 NFL Draft, when he and Baalke picked Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick in the first and second round, they were selecting at the end of every round, so they didn't have a crack at the likes of Patrick Willis and Vernon Davis anymore.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Uber-talented team? The 49ers had seven losing seasons and one 8-8 year before Harbaugh took over and led them to three straight NFC Championship games. After the 2011 NFL Draft, when he and Baalke picked Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick in the first and second round, they were selecting at the end of every round, so they didn't have a crack at the likes of Patrick Willis and Vernon Davis anymore.
                          Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Navarro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Frank Gore ........ that's 6 elite players off the bat.

And still you had Michael Crabtree, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Ahmad Brooks, Vernon Davis, Dashon Goldstein, Donte Whitner, and yes, even Alex Smith/Colin Kapernick.
                          Carlos Rodgers was solid, same with Ray McDonald......

It just goes to show you that some head coaches (Mike Singletary in this case) can't get the most out of their teams.

They could have done better with their late 1rst and second round draft picks: isn't that what we are bitching at Telesco about?

Comment

Working...
                          X