Tom Telesco Discussion - Retained for 2023 Season.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

This is my biggest issue with Staley. "His" scheme is a major flaw. A light box will never work, because you need to stop the run 1st. All great defenses stop the run.
    The declared goal of the previous number one rated Rams defense was to lure teams into running the ball.

Fangio's defenses succeeded in CHI and DEN.

The whole league is now playing
    4-2-5.

How much more evidence does this board need that our problems are health and personnel ?
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

The declared goal of the previous number one rated Rams defense was to lure teams into running the ball.

Fangio's defenses succeeded in CHI and DEN.

The whole league is now playing
      4-2-5.

How much more evidence does this board need that our problems are health and personnel ?
      In the NFL you don't win games by running the football, it tends to make for a close game. BUT if you cannot stop the run against a good passing team then you will be in serious trouble.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This. Instead of signing quality or even competent backups, TT habitually scrapes the very bottom of the FA barrel...whether in off season, when more talent is available, or mid-season, when only the JAG dregs are left...remember, I'm talking about BACKUPS...he did make some good signings for our starters...but u just KNOW that injuries will happen, hence the need for quality depth...
        Example of this is Storm Norton who has now been beaten out by Forrest Sarrell. Why hasn't Telesco tried to find better depth than Norton at this point. Especially with the knee injury to Pipkins

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

In the NFL you don't win games by running the football, it tends to make for a close game. BUT if you cannot stop the run against a good passing team then you will be in serious trouble.
          Agreed.
          Really great to see you sj.
          You give up on soccer ?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Herbert, Slater, Linsley, Zion, Mack.... any of these guys ringing a bell...?
            IMO (jmo) Telesco makes enough good adds/picks to tread water. The majority of his roster motes are meh average players which is why for 10 years the team has been basically a meh-average team. Its easy to highlight the small set of great picks or adds. But add up the entire aggregate roster and ask if that entire roster making moves up or down in class, or staying in place. He doesn’t add ENOUGH improved / elite players to overcome the attrition rate of NFL rosters. So we have a middle of road result for 10 years. I know everyone thinks Coaching is key, but even great coaches can’t win in the NFL with meh rosters. Look no further to New England for evidence. greatest coach in history is in last place now that his GOAT QB aged out and moved on and the other division teams improved.

This year his strategy was blown up by injuries. But its a 10 year record and 10 years says he’s a perfectly average middle or road GM capable of building and sustaining a perfectly average middle of road roster. At least Butler/AJ built one elite roster. Then ego went to AJ’s head and he thought his roster was so good it couldn’t be improved. His Line em up 3 deep and complete went out the window and his roster degraded rapidly. NFL never stands still, GM must constantly add improved talent, and TT just doesn’t do that enough.

I \ would fire TT and retain Staley. I think Staley has alot more upside imo, he’s got the instincts to lead men - he just needs some seasoning and wear. TT is TT and will be TT for another 10 years.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

IMO (jmo) Telesco makes enough good adds/picks to tread water. The majority of his roster motes are meh average players which is why for 10 years the team has been basically a meh-average team. Its easy to highlight the small set of great picks or adds. But add up the entire aggregate roster and ask if that entire roster making moves up or down in class, or staying in place. He doesn’t add ENOUGH improved / elite players to overcome the attrition rate of NFL rosters. So we have a middle of road result for 10 years. I know everyone thinks Coaching is key, but even great coaches can’t win in the NFL with meh rosters. Look no further to New England for evidence. greatest coach in history is in last place now that his GOAT QB aged out and moved on and the other division teams improved.

This year his strategy was blown up by injuries. But its a 10 year record and 10 years says he’s a perfectly average middle or road GM capable of building and sustaining a perfectly average middle of road roster. At least Butler/AJ built one elite roster. Then ego went to AJ’s head and he thought his roster was so good it couldn’t be improved. His Line em up 3 deep and complete went out the window and his roster degraded rapidly. NFL never stands still, GM must constantly add improved talent, and TT just doesn’t do that enough.

I \ would fire TT and retain Staley. I think Staley has alot more upside imo, he’s got the instincts to lead men - he just needs some seasoning and wear. TT is TT and will be TT for another 10 years.
              Exactly right. I think Staley can still get better. Telesco has been around the NFL for like 25 years now - I get in various roles - he is who he is. You want to crown his a**, crown him!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Nasir and K9, our biggest current problems, were not Telesco's call.

Look into our future, and realize that Palmer and Salyer were Telesco's calls.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Agreed.
                  Really great to see you sj.
                  You give up on soccer ?
                  My brother and Herbert suckered me back into the Chargers camp. My team didn't make it to the WC this year. Rooting for the good ole USA.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Nasir and K9, our biggest current problems, were not Telesco's call.

Look into our future, and realize that Palmer and Salyer were Telesco's calls.
                    It was Kirby Smart's 6th Round phone call that made Jamaree Salyer a Charger. There's room enough for Tom Telesco and Kirby Smart to receive credit for their synergy in drafting the rights to Jamaree.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

It was Kirby Smart's 6th Round phone call that made Jamaree Salyer a Charger. There's room enough for Tom Telesco and Kirby Smart to receive credit for their synergy in drafting the rights to Jamaree.
                      I called for a trade up to select Lane Johnson.

In real time,
                      I questioned somewhat TT taking
                      Joey Bosa
                      Hunter Henry
                      Max Tuerk

instead of

Ronnie Stanley
                      Chris Jones
                      Austin Hooper.

That is some deep football shit right there,
                      and only comes from diligence.

There is the added personal note that we took Joey right when I was miraculously not killed in a head on collision.

I truly hope Joey can come back
                      and get us over the top.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I called for a trade up to select Lane Johnson.

In real time,
                        I questioned somewhat TT taking
                        Joey Bosa
                        Hunter Henry
                        Max Tuerk

instead of

Ronnie Stanley
                        Chris Jones
                        Austin Hooper.

That is some deep football shit right there,
                        and only comes from diligence.

There is the added personal note that we took Joey right when I was miraculously not killed in a head on collision.

I truly hope Joey can come back
                        and get us over the top.
                        I wanted Ronnie Stanley over Joey Bosa as well.
                        I wanted Jalen Hurts over Justin Herbert as well.
                        I wanted Micah Parsons over Rashawn Slater.

But the important thing for a NFL GM to remember is, when you start listening to takes from the general public, pretty soon, you'll be sitting in the stands with them.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I wanted Ronnie Stanley over Joey Bosa as well.
                          I wanted Jalen Hurts over Justin Herbert as well.
                          I wanted Micah Parsons over Rashawn Slater.

But the important thing for a NFL GM to remember is, when you start listening to takes from the general public, pretty soon, you'll be sitting in the stands with them.
                          Former NFL OL coach Bob Wiley trained Stanley and said he was Top 5. I do love Joey.

There is an old saying that "one bad trade leads to another." It perpetuates.

This adds fuel to your take that Telesco should be fired.

Comment

Working...
                          X