Tom Telesco Discussion - Retained for 2023 Season.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Air Coryell
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2021
    • Carlsbad, CA
    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
    • Send PM

Football 101

Football is a line of scrimmage game. Good/great teams can run the ball and stop the run. Rush 4 and get pressure on the QB. Pass protect.

Chargers will never succeed until they become a line of scrimmage team.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Interesting logic here. So in 2018 he picked Derwin James and Uchenna Nwosu in the first two rounds. In 2019 he picked Jerry Tillery and Nasir Adderley. Does that mean he regressed in 2019? Did he regress in 2017, when he picked Forrest Lamp in the second round--a year after taking Joey Bosa and Hunter Henry in the first two rounds? What if he fails with his first two picks next April?
      Now you're getting it! Drafting players is ebb and flow... the last 3 years, he's been very good. Both the players he has drafted and the free agents he has brought in.
      TT's not getting fired next year. It's a pretty simple prediction. There's no reason working yourself into a lather about it. Spend your energies elsewhere.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Now you're getting it! Drafting players is ebb and flow... the last 3 years, he's been very good. Both the players he has drafted and the free agents he has brought in.
        TT's not getting fired next year. It's a pretty simple prediction. There's no reason working yourself into a lather about it. Spend your energies elsewhere.
        I don't doubt that he'll be the general manager next year, even if we don't make the playoffs. But that's because our owner doesn't know how to run an NFL franchise.

You're saying he's improving because he's brought in significant talent at a handful of positions since drafting Herbert in 2020. Aside from the fact we have many of the same problems since he started, such as not being able to stop the run at all, you're overlooking the fact that he's drafted and signed many good-to-great players during his entire time as general manager of the Chargers, and ti's equated to two playoff appearances in nine seasons so far. You say he's been very good over the last three years. We're 22-22 during that time. That's very good to you? Perhaps it is an improvement, though, since we were 53-59 with him as the general manager from 2013 through 2019.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

2019: 5-11
          2020: 7-9
          2021: 9-8
          2022: 10-7 (with 5 Pro-Bowlers out most of the season).

Improvement.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

2022: 10-7 (with 5 Pro-Bowlers out most of the season).

Improvement.
            2013: 9-7
            2014: 9-7
            2015: 4-12
            2016: 5-11
            2017: 9-7
            2018: 12-4
            2022: 6-5...so far

You must have thought we were improving in 2018, too. Look at the whole body of work.There is currently no evidence that he can build a consistent playoff team year in and year out.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

But you can see improvement within the last few years... as was my original claim...?

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

But you can see improvement within the last few years... as was my original claim...?
                Sorry but I don't see any improvement. A blind squirrel can pick in the first 3 rounds and find talent. It's what a GM does in rounds 4-7, free agency that defines his/her legacy. We did bring in Mac and Jackson as top notch free agents something we rarely do. Unfortunately Jackson did not pan out. We gave away a 2nd rounder for Mac. He's been good but kind of a wash there. With the exception of Herbert and Slayer both no brainers I see nothing to get excited about. We did get some starters, but they are just average or below.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

No, I don't. I'll be convinced we're improving when we, at the very least, make the playoffs in back-to-back seasons.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

All right, i'll take the bait:

What techniques do they need to shore up and in what do they need to be more consistent? (please do not include tackling in all this).

After 27 (or 10) games with this coaching staff, isn't it a tad late to imagine these things are correctable by this point, as far as this season goes; and if you have accurately assessed the situation, what does it tell you about this coaching staff's ability to communicate the basic fundamentals of their systems?

Last year, everything hinged on the ancient Chris harris jr (who had injury concerns). When he flamed out, that D dropped to the depths like a big stone attached to a corpse. This year, the one two punch of bosa/mack (both with injury concerns) was to elevate this D towards being elite. It's not so much injury thwarting their plans so that they are average or below average, it's the precarious drop straight to the bottom once the first part of the plan changes. Staley evidently does not have much of a plan B ever up his sleaves. :shrug:

And let me remind you that they have been very fortunate with Derwin, Callahan and mack (3 players with an injury history)
                    I follow Duke Manyweather, Paul Alexander and Brandon Thorn.

There is no advanced knowledge here, but I do proudly wear one of my two Duke Manyweather t-shirts to the gym every day, depending on which one smells the freshest.

Of course it takes time, and I implore Staley and staff to keep teaching.

In my world this is the correct, albeit dull answer, vs ah screw it, just fire everyone and change everything.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I can, Boltnut. I assure you. But, and this is a big but, the run defense is so bad under Staley that I believe it is going to cost the Chargers games it cannot afford to lose.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                        Football 101

Football is a line of scrimmage game. Good/great teams can run the ball and stop the run. Rush 4 and get pressure on the QB. Pass protect.

Chargers will never succeed until they become a line of scrimmage team.
                        Raiders-Dolphins-Titans.
                        Coming up.
                        We have to be able to do everything.
                        All the time.

Jacobs looked very impressive yesterday.
                        One at a time.
                        It will be tough.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I follow Duke Manyweather, Paul Alexander and Brandon Thorn.

There is no advanced knowledge here, but I do proudly wear one of my two Duke Manyweather t-shirts to the gym every day, depending on which one smells the freshest.

Of course it takes time, and I implore Staley and staff to keep teaching.

In my world this is the correct, albeit dull answer, vs ah screw it, just fire everyone and change everything.
                          Tom Telesco. Isn't 10 years of his limited success enough, or do we want to stick it out for another 5 years while he learns on the job? :blood curdling scream:

AFC West.png

Comment

Working...
                          X