• Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I'm not. More just answering the question about cap space
    I’m referring to Windsor. Unless that’s your other burner account lol.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Agreed.

Staley mentioned in a recent interview they value people who can play man to man and that they have to work on improving the depth. Well aren't those issues mostly the GM job to accomplish. Isn't that a bit of saying Telesco hasn't stocked the cupboards well enough.

Let's say Chargers drafted Slater because Brandon wanted him. And really liked him and even said I like him at tackle as his size was being questioned. And then he gets that type of season from the rookie. If that happened. Staley is the real deal and gets to decide. Telesco just following the HC orders.Pushed him to go get Mack. Staley even mentioning how he looks at vets around the league and said he needs find a comp in FA or draft
      Brandon knows a football playing jessie when he sees one.
      Saving Telesco job with his football IQ.
      It’s supposed to be a collaboration between the GM and HC when it comes to personnel. Hence why Telesco would get guys like Orlando Franklin in FA because he was big name at a PON but because he also had the McCoy connection. You’re seeing it now with Staley. The difference is that Staley is more aggressive, and is obviously influencing Telesco in that manner. Probably helps that his former team just won a SB by doing the unconventional and risky.

Edit: a HC shouldn’t be a GM as well IMO. I think even the best HC in Belichick showed us that that’s not a good idea.

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

HC and GM need to be on the same page.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Ideally we keep as much of our day 1 and day 2 picks as possible because they’re actually worth keeping. We haven’t had too many worth keeping and that’s a problem.

I do hope we keep Justin Jones at least. Uchenna is gone with the Mack trade. I think White’s gone as well since we have more depth there, and Staley seems hellbent on redeeming Murray.
          If you can upgrade, get a comp or have quality depth at a position. And then extend players long before they hit free agency, that's a way to keep your talent.

I'm not sure the thinking with Hunter Henry. He showed himself to be a very good pro TE.
          Health was his only concern. And really it was just the 2018 season. Seems like they could have offered him 5y/37m during 2019 and kept him at a nice price. He only made 1.3m during the 2019 season. Get a deal done early at a better price. No deal done.
          So then they tag him for 10m in 2020.
          And then don't tag him in 2021 and NE gets him for 3y/37m. Then they pay Cook 4.8m for a season. And now 2022 they have a question mark/jag at the TE position until someone steps up.

They better be ready to extend Herbert as soon as season ends. Don't pay the man 4.2 and then option him for a year 5. And then maybe worse franchise tag him year 6. And take all that time to get a deal done.

Give him 12y/500m.250m guaranteed before the 2023 season begins.
          Then you have the most important thing of all taken care long term.

The going rate will only go up every season for players.
          In 5 season the cap will probably be around 325m.

Having Herbert locked in at about 41.6m for 2023-2035 is good for business, imo.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

If you can upgrade, get a comp or have quality depth at a position. And then extend players long before they hit free agency, that's a way to keep your talent.

I'm not sure the thinking with Hunter Henry. He showed himself to be a very good pro TE.
            Health was his only concern. And really it was just the 2018 season. Seems like they could have offered him 5y/37m during 2019 and kept him at a nice price. He only made 1.3m during the 2019 season. Get a deal done early at a better price. No deal done.
            And then don't tag him in 2021 and NE gets him for 3y/37m. Then they pay Cook 4.8m for a season. And now 2022 they have a question mark/jag at the TE position until someone steps up.

They better be ready to extend Herbert as soon as season ends. Don't pay the man 4.2 and then option him for a year 5. And then maybe worse franchise tag him year 6. And take all that time to get a deal done.

Having Herbert locked in at about 41.6m for 2023-2035 is good for business, imo.
            Your thesis is "players will sign for cheap early". Jesse James got that APY in 2019. Henry would have cost more like $9M APY. Which is better, admittedly, but not the number you're using.

Herbert will get $50M+ APY this year or next.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Hunter Henry also missed 4 games with a broken tibula in 2019. The problem is that he has never played a full season for us. The closest was his rookie year with 15 games. I would have liked to keep him too but I can see why Telesco and the FO were hesitant. They probably didn’t think the reward was worth the risk. It’s the difference between Hunter and Keenan. Both had injuries but Keenan warranted the extension because he was one of the best at his position. Receivers are also more valued than tight ends. And I say that as someone who wanted to keep Henry and MW go last year. So what do I know.

And Herbert will get his extension. It may be next year or the year afterwards. But he’ll get paid unless he seriously regresses. People were worried about Bosa also. But you pay because QB is the most valuable position in the NFL.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Herbert's going to get more than 500 million for 12 years. I see 600 million is minimum.

He may surpass Mahomes next year as the better QB in others eyes and certainly he's way better than Kyler Murray who thinks he deserves 50 million lol.....such a laugher.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

For some strange reason I don't see Herbert Trying to break the bank. I see maybe $40 mil and that's being fair and still be able to field a team. The reason why brady won so much is that he doesn't give a crap about pushing the pay envelope as much as putting jewelry on his finger tips. Winning Superbowls will have a far greater impact than trying to squeeze the owners for every last penny.

:shifty:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
                    For some strange reason I don't see Herbert Trying to break the bank. I see maybe $40 mil and that's being fair and still be able to field a team. The reason why brady won so much is that he doesn't give a crap about pushing the pay envelope as much as putting jewelry on his finger tips. Winning Superbowls will have a far greater impact than trying to squeeze the owners for every last penny.

:shifty:
                    Brady has been the exception so far.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

It’s supposed to be a collaboration between the GM and HC when it comes to personnel. Hence why Telesco would get guys like Orlando Franklin in FA because he was big name at a PON but because he also had the McCoy connection. You’re seeing it now with Staley. The difference is that Staley is more aggressive, and is obviously influencing Telesco in that manner. Probably helps that his former team just won a SB by doing the unconventional and risky.

Edit: a HC shouldn’t be a GM as well IMO. I think even the best HC in Belichick showed us that that’s not a good idea.
                      ?? Most SB Championship winning HC all-time. I would not think that a bad example.
                      That aside, a GM / HC equally respectful partnership seems best regards personnel choices.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

?? Most SB Championship winning HC all-time. I would not think that a bad example.
                        That aside, a GM / HC equally respectful partnership seems best regards personnel choices.
                        Even Patriots fans will tell you that Bill the HC helped saved the job of Bill the GM. He’s been awful at GM responsibilities but he also has someone like Brady to cover his flaws. Why do you think they were such big spenders last year?

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Your thesis is "players will sign for cheap early". Jesse James got that APY in 2019. Henry would have cost more like $9M APY. Which is better, admittedly, but not the number you're using.

Herbert will get $50M+ APY this year or next.
                          maybe that number is low for Henry. But if the guarantee was high enough, then would player be okay with the so called cheaper early deal Would they turn it down and play another season at 1.3m trying to get to free agency for a bigger payday. Or would they rather say yes to money now.

Would Henry need 5y/45m with 15m guaranteed. And your at 9m.

But would he also take 5/37m instead if it was 27m guaranteed in that deal?
                          I'm just thinking if you up the guarantee, would they sign a deal with a lower base?

Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X