• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

He gave up a sack to Trayvon Walker in the 4th. It was the play where Walker roughed up Herbert and got called for unnecessary roughness. Maybe it didn't show up in the stats because of the penalty... but it was there. Pip just got out-leveraged and pushed straight back into Herbert's lap.

You made me go back and focus on Pip. There's nothing special there. A lot of inconsistency. Zion had a below-average game.
    I hated the play-calling in the 2nd half (especially all of the predictable 1st down runs)... but there was a lot of sloppy play, too.
    Linsley and Feiler were probably our best OL last night. Salyer was above average before getting hurt.
    Special no but he was doing a decent job of riding the DE around Herbert.
    Just saw a stat on Jonah Williams during their game. Curious if you would take Jonah over Pip?

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Special no but he was doing a decent job of riding the DE around Herbert.
      Just saw a stat on Jonah Williams during their game. Curious if you would take Jonah over Pip?
      Yeah, I'd take Jonah over Pipkins. I'd also take the rookie next to him (Volson). I liked him when I watched his tape last year. He played RT for North Dakots State... which is when I started watching Cody Mauch, too. I'd take Mauch over Pipkins every day of the week... and twice on Sundays!

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

If you're watching the Bengals game right now... take a gander @rookie LG Cordell Volson. He's having a nice game. That's what a nice game looks like!

Edit: LOL! As soon as I say that, he gets beat inside...

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Yeah, I'd take Jonah over Pipkins. I'd also take the rookie next to him (Volson). I liked him when I watched his tape last year. He played RT for North Dakots State... which is when I started watching Cody Mauch, too. I'd take Mauch over Pipkins every day of the week... and twice on Sundays!
          They said Jonah has given up 12 sacks this year. That's pretty awful.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Scotty Boy View Post
            There’s been a lot written about Joey Bosa’s immaturity and its cost - and effect - on yesterday’s loss.

One facet which I haven’t seen referenced but also played a HUGE (negative) impact, is his lack of containing the edge on run plays.

This offseason, Joey needs to re-evaluate himself and come back in 2023 with much more focus; if not, he becomes a trade/cut candidate in 2024. In the modern NFL, it’s all about value.,,.
            Yeah, Joey needs to grow up... and dedicate himself to the game. At this point, his trade value is the lowest it has ever been... coming off another injury and making mental mistakes. As you pointed out, 2024 is the first opportunity to cut him (still a $7 million cap hit). There is no cap hit in 2025.

But most people are talking about how to get out from under the cap debt next year. One of the quickest, most effective ways to dig out is to re-structure Joey Bosa (among others). But, if you're going to do that, you'll be pushing more guaranteed money onto 2024 and 2025's cap... making it harder/more expensive to cut. You'd have to make a financial commitment to him.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

They said Jonah has given up 12 sacks this year. That's pretty awful.
              LOL! You're comparing apples to oranges. Did you see Herbie's completion chart for last night...? Someone posted it on another thread. Dink and dunk... dink and dunk. Whereas, Burrow hangs onto the ball forever.

Someone was trying to convince me that Pipkins was better than Abraham Lucas (based on number of sacks given up) on this thread several days ago. It's just not true... and ignores the overall work of a player... or who he's gone up against... or how effective he is on each play. Say what you'd like about PFF... but at least they're not looking through fans' glasses.

Pipkins: 59.2
              Jonah W: 61.2
              Lucas: 68.5

To be fair, I haven't watched Jonah Williams this year. But I have watched Pipkins and Lucas fairly closely. And, I'd say their evaluations of both are pretty close. People see what they want to see... "I'll see it when I believe it" - PM

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Carman (the guy filling in for the injured Jonah W) just gave up a sack...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

LOL! You're comparing apples to oranges. Did you see Herbie's completion chart for last night...? Someone posted it on another thread. Dink and dunk... dink and dunk. Whereas, Burrow hangs onto the ball forever.

Someone was trying to convince me that Pipkins was better than Abraham Lucas (based on number of sacks given up) on this thread several days ago. It's just not true... and ignores the overall work of a player... or who he's gone up against... or how effective he is on each play. Say what you'd like about PFF... but at least they're not looking through fans' glasses.

Pipkins: 59.2
                  Jonah W: 61.2
                  Lucas: 68.5

To be fair, I haven't watched Jonah Williams this year. But I have watched Pipkins and Lucas fairly closely. And, I'd say their evaluations of both are pretty close. People see what they want to see... "I'll see it when I believe it" - PM
                  Regardless, 12 is pretty bad. And PFF has no cred imo. They don't know what they are looking at actually. It's BS stats.

I dont even know what team Lucas is on.

And I don't know how many receptions our RBs have as a whole but the Bengals RBs have a little over 100. Chase has a 12 YPC ave and Hurst is only 8.8.
                  I know we have 107 just with Ekeler.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

I say he was just average... you think he did better than that. Here are the plays, by quarter (some plays missing:
                    1st quarter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M69XZkIPgtI
                    2nd quarter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyt9BpDd-Z0
                    3rd quarter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NskyTRlJC3c
                    4th quarter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SXA6pU7iD4

My quick observations: Salyer is outplaying Pipkins. Pipkins getting more help from TE/RB chips. There are times when he is effective. Other times, he's getting beat on inside/outside moves. Gives up a sack and gets away with at least one holding call on an outside move. Overall, he's not asked to pass block, in isolation, very long. He's rarely asked to get to the 2nd level. Feiler and Salyer are passing off pass rushers on stunts/blitzes more effectively than Zion and Pipkins.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

The last 3 years or so (in order to keep my sanity) I've limited myself to just monitoring Charger games via the internet in between working on my (extensive) list of projects around the property. I find that I get more done AND avoid most of the heartbreak this team generates. Unfortunately I grew up a Charger fan and just can't seem to completely wean myself away from them (I've tried).

So I'm very glad that I did not watch Saturday's abortion - it was bad enough just checking in. I remember the 1st time I checked - it was mid 3rd quarter and they were up 27 - 14, AFTER intercepting Lawrence 4 times. I remember thinking to myself that that was nowhere near enough separation under the circumstances and that this had the potential to end really ugly. Lo and behold I checked in an hour and a half later and was NOT surprised in the least that they had lost the game. I've been through all of this team's previous nonsense since way back to the ice bowl against Cincinnati, and I cannot remember being more embarrassed as a Charger fan than I am now, particularly as I watched the other games this weekend (yes I actually watch those) and I see teams with 2nd and 3rd string QB's, rookie QB's, teams with almost no receiving corps to speak of (Baltimore), teams given NO chance to win, on the road in very difficult circumstances, take superior opponents to the limits and almost win, while the Chargers, given the game gift wrapped, cannot manage a win over a team that they have a decided talent advantage over . . . . . some things never change I guess.

This current Charger team lacks heart, dedication and discipline, are poorly prepared, poorly led (talking coaching AND players here) poorly managed, and collectively make poor decisions (Ownership, coaching, play calling and playmaking). It's been that way for decades (I know - I've watched it) and I don't really see how they're going to get it fixed, at least in my lifetime. I'll still always be a Charger fan, but like PBB I think I'll step away for a while.

TYPICAL CHARGER FAN:
                      :hadworse:​

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

I have a feeling they are going to keep Staley and they are going to miss out on both Payton and Harbaugh and then continuously get beat by them years to come.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                          I have a feeling they are going to keep Staley and they are going to miss out on both Payton and Harbaugh and then continuously get beat by them years to come.
                          Yeah Staley stays next season I'm out too.I'll wait till thes Spanos clowns cough up real money for a real,proven coach otherwise if they don't actually care about winning why the fuck should any of us give them our money anymore?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X