• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

If he is at the end of the proverbial bench in the CB room, you know and I know that with injuries, he will play some pretty meaningful minutes somewhere. And that's the problem with Campbell......he should not be playing meaningful minutes in our secondary. I remember that Elvis Patterson made a play every now and then, the problem was the 10 or 12 plays in between. That's how he got the nickname "Toast"!!!!!
    He knows the system....he doesn't break the bank. You are not going to bring in 3 more solid corners.

And yes, he was targeted by Cincy on 3rd downs.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Easy.

RT will be a rookie. CB will be a rookie. EDGE will be a rookie. That's 3 rookies right there.
      After the 3rd round, your drafting depth anyways... LB, RB, TE, DL... 7 rooks.
      Extra RB (to compete against Kelly/Roundtree)
      Extra WR (unless you think Guyton is your future)
      Extra CB (compete against Campbell and Hall)
      Extra S (compete with Gilman/Webb/Marshall)

11 rookies is not unthinkable.
      11 rookies on 4-year deals. In 3 years, we'll be paying a QB big money and shedding more expensive players.
      How many of our current players were 4th+ rounders...?
      Easy, huh? Maybe I’m optimistic.

When I look at our (healthy) 53-man roster, I don’t see 11 players that need to be replaced by rookies. I see about 6 or 7, some of which will be replaced by FA signings, maybe 4-5 guys. You have to factor them in, too.

These are my potential replacement targets:
      Tillery (under contract, so probably won’t cut)
      CHJr
      Bulaga
      Pipkins
      JJ
      Kelley
      Cook (maybe)
      Campbell (maybe)
      Guyton (maybe)
      Fackrell (maybe)

Guys like Hall, Marshall, Davontae Harris, those are basically guys we elevated due to attrition, PS guys.

I think our roster is pretty damn good. Playoff worthy. We are not in rebuilding mode.
      Last edited by Bolt Dude; 12-10-2021, 08:56 PM.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Not sure how much I like this but took BPA in top spots that fell to us from this sites ranking anyways. Also used lower picks to trade up in the 5th.
        Not sure we even draft a TE. Think we go Vet signing again (1 or 2 year deal) as we give Parham and McKitty more time. But I did here which normally I don't.

Mock v3 of 250

Screenshot_20211210-175642.png

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
          Not sure how much I like this but took BPA in top spots that fell to us from this sites ranking anyways. Also used lower picks to trade up in the 5th.
          Not sure we even draft a TE. Think we go Vet signing again (1 or 2 year deal) as we give Parham and McKitty more time. But I did here which normally I don't.

Mock v3 of 250

Screenshot_20211210-175642.png
          I feel like everyone who does a mock should also say who they want in FA, or at least which positions. It would clarify the the rationale behind the picks.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I feel like everyone who does a mock should also say who they want in FA, or at least which positions. It would clarify the the rationale behind the picks.
            Agree but I'm not going to type this everytime I do a mock.

I think we will sign a couple DTs, don't have names as I haven't looked closely to the free agent lists though I think the guy from the Rams Joseph-Day,.. Staley would want. Maybe Hicks from da Bears.. and perhaps we keep Joseph another year.

I'd trade Tillery for a pick or in a package to trade up or swap picks during the draft.

Think we keep MW.

Sign a TE to a short 1 -2 year deal. Maybe it's Cook again, maybe not. Maybe it's Ertz.
            Normally I wouldn't draft a TE as doubt we go TE real early and we are developing 2-3 already if Anderson stays.

Thinking Oday Aboushi is back but would still draft a OG if a good one fell. I'd still try and fill holes but also go BPA.

Elam in that mock was BPA in a need position possibly moving Samuel to slot CB.

Nwosu I believe will be back, Fackrell won't be but maybe playing Bosa more inside so drafting a couple Edge guys

I don't usually start talking roster builds this early and dive into free agents and why I haven't looked over the lists though I do know the OT list isn't very long and teams like to keep their good ones. So we are drafting one likely.
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-10-2021, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree but I'm not going to type this everyone I do a mock.

I think we will sign a couple DTs, don't have names as I haven't looked closely to the free agent lists though I think the guy from the Rams Joseph-Day,.. Staley would want. Maybe Hicks from da Bears.. and perhaps we keep Joseph another year.

I'd trade Tillery for a pick or in a package to trade up or swap picks during the draft.

Think we keep MW.

Sign a TE to a short 1 -2 year deal. Maybe it's Cook again, maybe not. Maybe it's Ertz.
              Normally I wouldn't draft a TE as doubt we go TE real early and we are developing 2-3 already if Anderson stays.

Thinking Oday Aboushi is back but would still draft a OG if a good one fell. I'd still try and fill holes but also go BPA.

Elam in that mock was BPA in a need position possibly moving Samuel to slot CB.

Nwosu I believe will be back, Fackrell won't be but maybe playing Bosa more inside so drafting a couple Edge guys

I don't usually start talking roster builds this early and dive into free agents and why I haven't looked over the lists though I do know the OT list isn't very long and teams like to keep their good ones. So we are drafting one likely.
              Good points. I used to think Asante’s highest potential was as a nickel corner, but I’ve reconsidered. Staley requires his nickel to do a lot of tackling, much more than other systems. If this year is any indication, I worry about Asante’s durability, specifically his head. Playing outside will limit his collisions. I’d keep him there.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

1. This leads to PFF having us take Trent McDuffie of Washington in round 1. He is good in coverage and a sure tackler.

2. I want a professional DE/OLB to go with Boss/Uchenna/Rumph II. There sits Chandler Jones and Derek Barnett on AZ and PHI. These happen to be teams with some cap inflexibility. The draft is deep at EDGE. Market forces.

3. Draft a plug n play ORT round 2.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  Pretty much retired......
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  1. This leads to PFF having us take Trent McDuffie of Washington in round 1. He is good in coverage and a sure tackler.

2. I want a professional DE/OLB to go with Boss/Uchenna/Rumph II. There sits Chandler Jones and Derek Barnett on AZ and PHI. These happen to be teams with some cap inflexibility. The draft is deep at EDGE. Market forces.

And who might be on your list?????

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

big ask, would have to also include roster cuts and extensions, a massive undertaking. I'm good with rationale behind pick profiles and team needs, #1CB, Starting RT, Edge Rusher and DT who could compete for starting spots and then bell cow RB2, speed WR, Kicker/Punter and more OG depth.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I'm down with this
                      Draft bigger CB's with traits later
                      Devin Lloyd hybrid DE/OLB
                      Round one

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Easy, huh? Maybe I’m optimistic.

When I look at our (healthy) 53-man roster, I don’t see 11 players that need to be replaced by rookies. I see about 6 or 7, some of which will be replaced by FA signings, maybe 4-5 guys. You have to factor them in, too.

These are my potential replacement targets:
                        Tillery (under contract, so probably won’t cut)
                        CHJr
                        Bulaga
                        Pipkins
                        JJ
                        Kelley
                        Cook (maybe)
                        Campbell (maybe)
                        Guyton (maybe)
                        Fackrell (maybe)

Guys like Hall, Marshall, Davontae Harris, those are basically guys we elevated due to attrition, PS guys.

I think our roster is pretty damn good. Playoff worthy. We are not in rebuilding mode.
                        I think our roster is pretty damn good, too. But our depth is shit.
                        We have 26 free agents. Add Bulaga... 27.
                        There are maybe 2 or 3 "must have back" players on that list... Kyzir, Jones... maybe Uchenna. The rest are overpaid or over-aged.
                        There's Aboushi... but how's his knee?
                        Parham and Hall are ERFA's... so they'll be back.
                        Then there are guys on the roster that could be upgraded...
                        Tillery, Pipkins, Kelly, Roundtree, Gilman, Webb, Fehoko, Nieman, Ogbongbemiga...

This draft is so deep... I'd let the draft come to me in the 1st-3rd rounds. Then I would start replacing some of that lame depth we have at certain positions (RB, WR, LB, DL, S) with those extra 6th's.
                        Certainly we will retain more than 3 of our own FA's... and certainly we will spend some of that $75 million in cap space (I'm hoping some proven playmakers and/or proven depth)... but we're not so seeping with talent that we should throw away picks in hopes of moving up 3 spots in the 3rd or 7 spots in the 4th. 3rd and 4th round clusters are bulging at the seams...

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

My roster build would start with buying Davante Adams with Mike Williams' and Bryan Bulaga's contract money. You just replaced on-again, off-again inconsistency with one of the leagues consistently best receivers. Oh, and you just made KA and JH better, too. That's a SB run move, right there. You have the league's #4 and #8 WR's... good luck stopping that. Ebenezer Scrooge dies this Christmas season... I'm tired of coal in my stockings. You have the FA money... use it!

Then I go get 2 IDL's (Sebastian-Day, Austin Johnson) for the price of 1 (Linval Joseph). I just got younger for cheaper. I'll have 2 guys (depth) that are ascending and can be signed for 3-4 years. Whereas, Joseph has got 1 or 2 years left on the tires.

I use the rest of my FA money bringing back 7 or 8 of my own FA's... then I hit the draft...

Comment

Working...
                          X