• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    If next year is a “push” year to advance in the playoffs, having 11 draftees on the roster does not help things.
    Exactly.

There are a lot of current role players/backups that have earned extensions. For example, we don’t want Storm Norton as our starter, but he’s an ideal backup with experience on both sides.

Maybe the same with Campbell. I imagine we’ll find someone better to start…but as a backup, he’s probably better than a late round rookie. And Campbell’s had his moments, too. He’s opportunistic. He turned the game in Cinci, and we wouldn’t have beaten the Chiefs without his 2 forced fumbles.
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

If next year is a “push” year to advance in the playoffs, having 11 draftees on the roster does not help things.
      I doubt they all make the 53 man roster.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Exactly.

There are a lot of current role players/backups that have earned extensions. For example, we don’t want Storm Norton as our starter, but he’s an ideal backup with experience on both sides.

Maybe the same with Campbell. I imagine we’ll find someone better to start…but as a backup, he’s probably better than a late round rookie. And Campbell’s had his moments, too. He’s opportunistic. He turned the game in Cinci, and we wouldn’t have beaten the Chiefs without his 2 forced fumbles.
        If he is at the end of the proverbial bench in the CB room, you know and I know that with injuries, he will play some pretty meaningful minutes somewhere. And that's the problem with Campbell......he should not be playing meaningful minutes in our secondary. I remember that Elvis Patterson made a play every now and then, the problem was the 10 or 12 plays in between. That's how he got the nickname "Toast"!!!!!

Comment

• Bolt Dude
          Draftnik
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

If he is at the end of the proverbial bench in the CB room, you know and I know that with injuries, he will play some pretty meaningful minutes somewhere. And that's the problem with Campbell......he should not be playing meaningful minutes in our secondary. I remember that Elvis Patterson made a play every now and then, the problem was the 10 or 12 plays in between. That's how he got the nickname "Toast"!!!!!
          Yeah, if Campbell makes the roster next year, he’d be at the end of the bench.

I see Telesco bringing in two capable corners in the off-season—maybe both FAs, or maybe one’s from the draft. If nothing else, we’ll need a starting level nickel to fill CHJr’s shoes.

I imagine Campbell would take Ryan Smith’s job—the break glass in case of emergency corner, but primarily special teams.

I didn’t have Campbell making the cut in my own 53-man roster projection for 2022, but I wouldn’t flinch if TT brought him back under a cheap contract.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Back to the draft capital idea…

According to the draft value chart (which I know is flawed) two 6th rounders is enough to move up about 10 spots in the 3rd round.

It ain’t much, but if it means the difference between getting a player like Breece Hall or Zach Charbonnet instead of staying pat and ending up with Brian Robinson or James Cook, then it might be worth it.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Back to the draft capital idea…

According to the draft value chart (which I know is flawed) two 6th rounders is enough to move up about 10 spots in the 3rd round.

It ain’t much, but if it means the difference between getting a player like Breece Hall or Zach Charbonnet instead of staying pat and ending up with Brian Robinson or James Cook, then it might be worth it.
              Agree, id use them to trade up. I think Hall ends up in the second round, especially if he runs sub 4.5. We'll see.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

And that’s the problem. Not enough room for all the picks.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

And that’s the problem. Not enough room for all the picks.
                  There probably is on the practice squad but still, like I said before, I'd be using some of those lower round picks to move up in other rounds.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Agree, id use them to trade up. I think Hall ends up in the second round, especially if he runs sub 4.5. We'll see.
                    Yeah, we’ll see. Not sure Hall runs in the 4.4s but I’ve got nothing to back that assumption. Great runner with tremendous burst, but he gets run down in the open field.

The RB class is far from loaded—it’s definitely not top-heavy. I’m predicting a sharp drop-off in talent somewhere in the middle of R3, which is right before our selection. So those extra picks might be just enough to leapfrog another RB-needy team.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Yeah, we’ll see. Not sure Hall runs in the 4.4s but I’ve got nothing to back that assumption. Great runner with tremendous burst, but he gets run down in the open field.

The RB class is far from loaded—it’s definitely not top-heavy. I’m predicting a sharp drop-off in talent somewhere in the middle of R3, which is right before our selection. So those extra picks might be just enough to leapfrog another RB-needy team.
                      He does but so did LT and he ran I believe a 4.46.

Not sure Hall will run that fast but he is 6' -6'1" and LT is 5'10" , both 220 lbs so he maybe don't look as fast. If he goes 4.5 - 4.55 good enough. He has great vision.

I think Latavius Murray may have ran faster than LT and he is bigger while being 6'2" or so. Think he was 225 LB.

Didnt have the vision LT and Hall have.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

He does but so did LT and he ran I believe a 4.46.

Not sure Hall will run that fast but he is 6' -6'1" and LT is 5'10" , both 220 lbs so he maybe don't look as fast. If he goes 4.5 - 4.55 good enough. He has great vision.

I think Latavius Murray may have ran faster than LT and he is bigger while being 6'2" or so. Think he was 225 LB.

Didnt have the vision LT and Hall have.
                        Totally agree. For a RB, long speed is far less important than burst (10 yard split?) and Hall has good burst.

Personally, I like Charbonnet better, but I’d be happy with either. They can catch passes, unlike Zamir White and Brian Robinson.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

If we keep all 11 picks, I’d imagine a handful go straight to the PS. I’d like to see anyone try to build our 53 man roster with 11 rooks.
                          Easy.

RT will be a rookie. CB will be a rookie. EDGE will be a rookie. That's 3 rookies right there.
                          After the 3rd round, your drafting depth anyways... LB, RB, TE, DL... 7 rooks.
                          Extra RB (to compete against Kelly/Roundtree)
                          Extra WR (unless you think Guyton is your future)
                          Extra CB (compete against Campbell and Hall)
                          Extra S (compete with Gilman/Webb/Marshall)

11 rookies is not unthinkable.
                          11 rookies on 4-year deals. In 3 years, we'll be paying a QB big money and shedding more expensive players.
                          How many of our current players were 4th+ rounders...?

Comment

Working...
                          X