• Show
Clear All
  • SuperCharged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

So many games last year that the D failed the team. With this offseason that will completely change. Barely missing the playoffs with a terrible leaky D. Now we will see an entirely different D. Staley has done a complete overhaul. It's his group.

I'm just projecting but... We got faster and more athletic at TE with Everett. Parham is back and he has proven to be a redzone weapon. We got a 2nd year in the same offense. 1st time ever for Justin Herbert. I think our O line looks beastly. I have a feeling that we may see Pip win RT.

Spiller looks pro ready to me. I think he will handle his part of the rotation. Ek will have fresh legs by using him in spot situations. I am curious who will win the camp battle for 3rd and 4th rb.

I just hope all these multi millionaires realize this window is rarely is open so wide. They all need to commit to this season and be prepared. ESPECIALLY THE D in the 4th quarter. Cardio cardio cardio so our d still has some gas in the tank in the 4th Q , rather then tapping out and running to sideline for a breather.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
      So many games last year that the D failed the team. With this offseason that will completely change. Barely missing the playoffs with a terrible leaky D. Now we will see an entirely different D. Staley has done a complete overhaul. It's his group.

I'm just projecting but... We got faster and more athletic at TE with Everett. Parham is back and he has proven to be a redzone weapon. We got a 2nd year in the same offense. 1st time ever for Justin Herbert. I think our O line looks beastly. I have a feeling that we may see Pip win RT.

Spiller looks pro ready to me. I think he will handle his part of the rotation. Ek will have fresh legs by using him in spot situations. I am curious who will win the camp battle for 3rd and 4th rb.

I just hope all these multi millionaires realize this window is rarely is open so wide. They all need to commit to this season and be prepared. ESPECIALLY THE D in the 4th quarter. Cardio cardio cardio so our d still has some gas in the tank in the 4th Q , rather then tapping out and running to sideline for a breather.
      They know.
      Team football.
      The offense needs to make drives that take time off the clock and put points on the scoreboard.
      This gives the defense a rest and encourages opponents to air it out more to keep up in scoring.
      We're built on D to control the run, apply pressure and get takeaways.
      STs need to provide field position and get takeaways. make XPs and FGs.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think the two biggest signings in terms of being heady/helpful, and/or timely/lifesaver are Reeder and Van Noy, as gotta believe that there is an inordinate amount of risk w/Murray 'n Mack.

on O, woulda liked to see two similar signings, as think we're putting a bit too much on Spiller, and also a bit surprised we didn't nab a developmental TE from this draft, as think we had room for a fourth @TE ??

personally woulda been looking @the Browns and D'Ernest Jackson and Harrison Bryant.... also wouldn'ta been surprised if Kareem Hunt was available, and would like the balance a lot more if we had acquired the aforementioned, and ship out MW (w/Joshua Kelley) in exchange, and.... know that's not gonna happen, and.... just sayin'.... like the Reeder/Van Noy signings, and think a D'Ernest Jackson/Harrison Bryant move woulda been a similar coup in terms of helpful personnel additions, on O.

also think that Tillery is gonna be a factor this season, as think he spells not only the two FAs on the inside, but Mack on the outside a time or coupla few.

and gotta believe that the both of Van Noy and Rumph are gonna get alotta snaps this go 'round.

'nother guy that I think is gonna surprise/disappoint (in that thinkin' the some of you are hoping/counting on him not making the roster) is Tevaughn Campbell, as think it would be ill advised to send him packing, as think he could end up our third CB again, @times.... think Mike D. is gonna do some good things as well.

and do think Zion is gonna be the best get from the draft, but do think JT Woods is gonna be a defensive salve @safety, and we'll be glad more than once that we've got him back there.

think JC Jack and the two IDL are gonna stand up & deliver as well.

also think Covington is gonna prove to be a solid resign.
        It’s a numbers game, one more TE means one less something else. And I hope we don’t scrimp on the number of OL.

Campbell’s an athlete, I hope he steps up his play in year two. I have him at an advantage over the 2 late round CBs.

I view Woods as this year’s Rumph, a guy that’s going to need a year to build up his body (and tackling skills).
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Agree. No excuses from Staley this year on a poorly performing D.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

looking over the roster, there are a coupla few positions that catch my eye.... on the Oside o' the ball,

how long before Guyton is WR4, and how soon is Palmer WR3.... if not a very solid 2.5 ??

do the coaches figure out that Salyer is our best RT, or are they/our FO insistent on keeping him @LG ??

how much of a pass catcher will Lombardi allow McKitty to be, as thinkin' he's TE2.... if not now, then soon come ??

and def would like to pick up an RB2 from the vet cuts pool.... tbd,

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

looking over the roster, there are a coupla few positions that catch my eye.... on the Oside o' the ball,

how long before Guyton is WR4, and how soon is Palmer WR3.... if not a very solid 2.5 ??

do the coaches figure out that Salyer is our best RT, or are they/our FO insistent on keeping him @LG ??

how much of a pass catcher will Lombardi allow McKitty to be, as thinkin' he's TE2.... if not now, then soon come ??

I can’t see us going into the season without a viable RB2. Somehow, someway. Hopefully he’s already on the roster.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I can’t see us going into the season without a viable RB2. Somehow, someway. Hopefully he’s already on the roster.
                They drafted him

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Palmer already is WR3/(2.75) and Guyton is already WR4 - that is how we ended 2021, do you see something I am missing?

McKitty will be used primarily in-line next to OT in power and jumbo sets - limited routes and therefore catches (My guess). He will be under appreciated for what he does because fans only see stats. I don’t expect big receiving numbers from him.

They drafted RB2 in the Rd4
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Not only cardio, cardio cardio, but rotation, rotation, rotation to keep our D fresh in the 4th quarter...we now have a deeper and better D...

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Spiller should be an upgrade over both Kelley and Rountree...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Spiller should be an upgrade over both Kelley and Rountree...
                        That's a 'wish' on your part. We know absolutely nothing about Spiller vs. NFL competition, I actually think it's more reasonable to anticipate some degree of step-up from both Kelley and Rountree, because they'll have a full year in the system under their belts, and an improved O-line in front of them.

But I'm not counting on THAT, either.

The way things look on paper doesn't necessarily transfer to game day, and we've seen plenty of examples of *that* over the years.

Spiller has some desirable traits-- but then again, Rountree and Keley had their own sets of desirable traits when they came on board.

If being a Charger fan has taught you nothing else, it should have taught you that you *NEVER* are safe counting un-hatched chickens with this team.

So I'm counting on nothing from Spiller until I see it.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

I'm not against giving the D better cardio training.

Know what would help even MORE?

The Chargers' offense conducting longer, more time-consuming drives on their way to TDs, racking up a significant Time of Possession advantage over the opponent, and keeping the defense fresh on the sideline.

The Chargers NEED to establish a serious grind-it-out component to the offense. Staley talks about how dishing out the physicality in the running game is demoralizing for a defense. The Bolts need to be better at this. Most championship teams can do this, and that's not a coincidence.

Comment

Working...
                          X