• Show
Clear All
  • SBbound
    Casual fanatic
    • Feb 2019
    • Merced/San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Remember that 2000 squad that nearly went 0-16, but a FG lifted them over the Chiefs to go 1-15? Yeah....Staley's run defense is worse than those guys. Never thought I'd say that.
    Staley's following response in the article is interesting.

Some of this is inherent to Staley’s defensive philosophy. He believes in devoting more schematic resources to the back end to prevent explosions and efficiency in the passing game. And the Chargers are 15th in pass defense DVOA this season. They only allowed 190 passing yards to Murray and the Cardinals offense. But the run defense cannot be this bad if the Chargers want to make the playoffs.

I asked Staley about this philosophy Monday, and I want to include the answer in full to provide context.

“You have to assess each matchup,” he said. “Philosophically, it’s going to be about the matchup and where you feel like the matchup is within the game. When you take a look at Arizona, they’re got like five first-round receivers on their team, so you got to look at the matchups both ways. You just know it takes a lot of 5-yard runs to equal a 40-yard pass, and you got to start with that premise. It will always be that way. Now, where I’ve been — where we’ve been No. 1 in the NFL and top-10 in the NFL — then, both places are working well at the same time. I think that when you suffer some attrition and obviously things change from a personnel perspective, you have to go into the game and play that game the way that you need to play it.

“We need to play better up front in the run game, and that’s all 11 guys. It’s not just the front. It’s all 11 guys. Because you can fit the run perfectly, eight-man fit, perfectly fit, and the ball gets to the corner and he’s got to make a tackle. What we got to try and do is create as many two-on-ones in the run game where there’s two guys on the ball, so it doesn’t come down to a secondary player because that minimizes gains, yards after contact, all of that good stuff. There are going to be some designs where DBs have to tackle, and they have to tackle. Yesterday, we held them to 190 throwing it with all of those receivers and that quarterback out there. Broadly, if you take a look at the NFL run defense, in terms of where everyone is ranked and what they give up, the disparity between run yards and passing yards is huge. If you’re the 24th-ranked run defense versus the 24th-ranked pass defense, go look at the difference.”

The Steelers are 24th in total passing defense. They have allowed 2,721 yards. The Falcons are 24th in total run defense. They have allowed 1,530 yards.

“That’s what it is in the NFL, and it’s the same way on offense,” Staley continued. “No one talks about run offense. If you’re top-five in the NFL in passing, but let’s say you’re bottom-five in running, you’re always going to gain a lot more yards than a team that runs for a lot and doesn’t throw for very many. That’s, from our standpoint, just globally, how we look at it.”

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SBbound View Post

Look it’s not a surprise. He plays with a light box most of the time and is willing to surrender yards on the ground. He’s basically saying I would rather you take 8 plays to get 40 yards than 1 pass play to get 40. And now he’s saying the same thing about the offense which we saw in Az as they basically abandoned the running game.

of course that blows up when the offense is able to bust long running plays as almost everyone has done this year. But it’s not a surprise

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

It is my prediction that Mike White does not have much more than one good game in him. That is a lot more likely than Mike White leading the Jets into a deep run in the playoffs.
        I believe that the Jets will make the playoffs, but they aren't going anywhere. Robert Saleh has built his defense faster than Staley has built his, mainly because the Jets front office capitalized on the draft capital it accrued.

Sauce Gardner, CJ Moseley, and Quinnen Williams. Jets have superstars at all three levels of the defense (The late great talent evaluator Joel Buschbaum turned me
        into a casual Jet follower after reading his work for a decade). Belichick offered Joel a job twice - Joel turned it down. Watch Bryce Huff at LB, he's coming on.

Jets.png

Personally, I think it is folly to pin hopes on New England or New York to collapse. My wish of a clean sweep of Charger front office and staff have a better odds than a playoff berth,
        as long as the Chargers continue their downward trajectory on run defense.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Going the wrong fricken direction under Staley on defense.

2020 Chargers: 10th in total defense
          2021 Chargers: 23rd in total defense
          2022 Chargers: 25th in total defense

The plan is to wait for the Jets collapse....

Yeah, I'll not doing that. As when the Chargers are eliminated from the playoffs, Telesco is finally out of the organization. That's what dreams are made of.
          To quote Bogie: "It's the stuff dreams are made of." Unfortunately for the Bolts, looks like the dream continues:

image_6368.jpg

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

However, as someone who has personally experienced the power of positive visualization and fulfillment, it strikes me as peculiar that others would summarily dismiss this concept.
            OT - Liberace gave white leather bound copies of this to his friends, it was his Bible. This book is about positive visualization, written in 1948. It will blow your mind as to positive thinking and it's application.

Claude M. Bristol - The Magic of Believing

968009.jpeg

Highly recommended.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

I acquired many a ProFootballWeekly Draft Guide.
              "Looks like Tarzan-Plays like Jane."

Once you remain faithful to the process, seemingly forever, but ultimately enjoying at least some success, positive visualization stays with you eternally.

Personnel and player development is one of my big things.

Imagine studying 32 depth charts on a daily basis.

Meaningful snaps, experience, and continuity are vital, which is why I stick with status quo in season.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

OT - Liberace gave white leather bound copies of this to his friends, it was his Bible. This book is about positive visualization, written in 1948. It will blow your mind as to positive thinking and it's application.

Claude M. Bristol - The Magic of Believing

968009.jpeg

Highly recommended.
                Has Staley given this to the Chargers?

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I acquired many a ProFootballWeekly Draft Guide.
                  "Looks like Tarzan-Plays like Jane."

Once you remain faithful to the process, seemingly forever, but ultimately enjoying at least some success, positive visualization stays with you eternally.

Personnel and player development is one of my big things.

Imagine studying 32 depth charts on a daily basis.

Meaningful snaps, experience, and continuity are vital, which is why I stick with status quo in season.
                  Joel is the one who taught me that missing on a franchise QB sets back the franchise 5 years. I heard never that proposition or metric before and it rings largely true.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Personally, I think it is folly to pin hopes on New England or New York to collapse. My wish of a clean sweep of Charger front office and staff have a better odds than a playoff berth,
                    as long as the Chargers continue their downward trajectory on run defense.
                    Have you looked at the schedule of either the Patriots or Jets? They collectively play the Bills and Dolphins five times. I don't think the Patriots or Jets will win any of those games. I don't believe the Patriots will beat the Bengals either, nor do I believe the Jets are going to beat the Vikes in Minn, nor the Seahawks in Seattle. I see both the Patriots and Jets going 2-4 at best in their final six. This gives the Chargers, with a much easier schedule, the opportunity to land the No. 7 seed. They just have to take care of business.

Patriots: Buffalo (this Thurs), @Ariz, @Raiders, Bengals, Dolphins, @Buffalo

Jets: @Minn, @Buffalo, Lions, Jax, @Seattle, @Dolphins
                    Last edited by Velo; 11-29-2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Have you looked at the schedule of either the Patriots or Jets? They collectively play the Bills and Dolphins five times. I don't think the Patriots or Jets will win any of those games. I don't believe the Patriots will beat the Bengals either, nor do I believe the Jets are going to beat the Vikes in Minn, nor the Seahawks in Seattle. I see both the Patriots and Jets going 2-4 at best in their final six. This gives the Chargers, with a much easier schedule, the opportunity to land the No. 7 seed. They just have to take care of business.

Patriots: Buffalo (this Thurs), @Ariz, @Raiders, Bengals, Dolphins, @Buffalo

Jets: @Minn, @Buffalo, Lions, Jax, @Seattle, @Dolphins
                      'Have I looked at the schedule for the Jets?'

Have YOU scrolled up to post #7335? Clearly, you have not.

For the second time, I am not subscribing to waiting for the Jets to collapse, so the Chargers make the playoffs and keep Telesco. Hard, hard pass on that nonsense.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SBbound View Post

Thank you for this. IMO, Staley contradicted himself in his philosophy of defending the pass over defending the run and to be honest, Gus Bradley put a better defense on the field and the numbers bear that out. I'm done with him, his defensive coordinator Hill and Telesco.

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Thank you for this. IMO, Staley contradicted himself in his philosophy of defending the pass over defending the run and to be honest, Gus Bradley put a better defense on the field and the numbers bear that out. I'm done with him, his defensive coordinator Hill and Telesco.
                          Staley, the defensive guru we hired two years ago, and taken a mediocre defense and - with more weapons - flushed it right down the toilet. Whoever thought we'd miss Gus Bradley's "Picket Fence" defense!?? Staley is obviously in over his head, doesn't deserve to be a head coach, and we'd be MUCH better off with him, all of his crew (except the ST coach) AND Telesco on the street.

But hey, we're 6-5! What an accomplishment! Let's squeak into the playoffs so we can get smacked by KC or Buffalo and experience this - again - next year!!! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                          X