• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

To be fair they likely targeted him for blanket coverage. He is our top receiver, and with MWill out..
    Devante Adams had over 160 yards and 2 tds. They were without Waller and Renfro. Who else did we have to cover?

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2020
      • Send PM

I am still scratching my head with some of the defensive schemes in this game that would allow the best receiver in the game, along with the best TE a few weeks ago, to be left in one on one situations with free releases during critical stretches of the game.

The run defense is historically bad, which allows the other team to eat up clock and keep Herbert on the sidelines where it is really tough to find any offensive rhythm with his teammates.

It’s getting awfully difficult to trust that this team still has a deep playoff run in them. Even before all the defensive injuries, the Chargers were giving up eye popping explosive run plays. Free agents with a solid history against the run were brought in to help improve the run game, but….

It feels like a coach who is over confident in his scheme, even if the results show otherwise. I Have have a tough time believing that if Fangio were the defensive coordinator, the Chargers would be this bad defensively two years running now.

Comment

• lightsout42
        Hire a winning coach
        • Oct 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

It’s pretty dead with him, fwiw.
        I think that’s more on the OL, lack of other receiving threats (MW not playing hurts, lack of speed hurts), poor play calling, and lack of substantive run game. KA is still a threat when he’s healthy. Hard to throw to him when everything else is so broken.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
          Looking ahead to 2023

Thinking of pass rush which has been non existent for weeks. One would think it will be addressed in draft and Bosa should be back but what about Khaili Mack?

He has been ok and i am not blaming it all on him but he is no longer elite, without Bosa's presence he is being neutralized and not getting to the QB....as i said there is NO pass rush right now. Getting a healthy Bosa (maybe) next year could help but Mack is another year older so here is the question

Do you take on his 27 million cap hit next year after what we have seen the last few weeks? I dont see how you justify that.
          I don't believe top pass rushers with good depth ( a major need) on the cheap works out. Granted, it's a project that needs to be addressed by GM-HC..
          Most obvious problem vs 'Turds? OL. #2 C depth marginal with rookie #2 LT, rookie starting RG, career practice squad RT.
          Based on yestweday the greatest Chargers need is quality young C depth. Linsley is very good when healthy, huge negative when out.

Comment

• Air Coryell
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2021
            • Carlsbad, CA
            • Teacher, Coach, CFO
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
            I am still scratching my head with some of the defensive schemes in this game that would allow the best receiver in the game, along with the best TE a few weeks ago, to be left in one on one situations with free releases during critical stretches of the game.

The run defense is historically bad, which allows the other team to eat up clock and keep Herbert on the sidelines where it is really tough to find any offensive rhythm with his teammates.

It’s getting awfully difficult to trust that this team still has a deep playoff run in them. Even before all the defensive injuries, the Chargers were giving up eye popping explosive run plays. Free agents with a solid history against the run were brought in to help improve the run game, but….

It feels like a coach who is over confident in his scheme, even if the results show otherwise. I Have have a tough time believing that if Fangio were the defensive coordinator, the Chargers would be this bad defensively two years running now.
            Staley sucks. Way over his head. Nothing will change until he is fired. And TT too,

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SBbound View Post

That's the quandary. His off-field behavior this season has indicated that there's maturity issues that will part of the evaluation.
              To me, the biggest issue is coaching, especially Hill and his position coaches. I've been slow to fault Lombardi as an end all, be all (especially after a loss) but the lack of in-line help was very disturbing.
              In-line help = OL and pass pressure? If so, there was nothing he could do. He had chipping and schemes on their #1, Herbie was getting 3 and 4 defenders on him in 2 seconds all game long. There is no in-line scheme when 4 OL are getting beat every play over and over. Lombo would need a squad of 15 to in-line patch that shit up.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

Staley tried both zone and press against him. He moved more to single press to be able to blitz another guy at the rush because the front 4 were not getting remotely close to QB all day long. Even with 5, they still never got to him. the problem was zero pass rush, no db can cover him forever, he’s a top3 WR in the league for a reason.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ThatSinkingFeeling
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Team looks jaded and never seem to consistently get going, both on O and D. They still can't stop the run and how they consistently failed to pressure Carr was painful to watch,

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I don't believe top pass rushers with good depth ( a major need) on the cheap works out. Granted, it's a project that needs to be addressed by GM-HC..
                    Most obvious problem vs 'Turds? OL. #2 C depth marginal with rookie #2 LT, rookie starting RG, career practice squad RT.
                    Based on yestweday the greatest Chargers need is quality young C depth. Linsley is very good when healthy, huge negative when out.
                    I agree that Linsley out is a huge negative. In fact, the most impactful loss on the team. The OL seems to totally cave in when he’s out.

Hopefully the Week off because of concussion protocol gave his other injuries a chance to heal and he’s good to go the rest of the season.

otherwise, Herbie is dead meat.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Depth on both lines obviously is crucial.

I like Mack just thinking about the overall roster, cap, signing Herbert etc. This year he makes 8 million against the cap, but next 2 years it jumps to 27 million

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Staley tried both zone and press against him. He moved more to single press to be able to blitz another guy at the rush because the front 4 were not getting remotely close to QB all day long. Even with 5, they still never got to him. the problem was zero pass rush, no db can cover him forever, he’s a top3 WR in the league for a reason.
                        Good points.

There was not even a hint of pressure on Carr. Rarely have I ever seen a QB have more time in the pocket. Hard to cover a player like Adams for that long when the QB has all the time in the world

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Good points.

There was not even a hint of pressure on Carr. Rarely have I ever seen a QB have more time in the pocket. Hard to cover a player like Adams for that long when the QB has all the time in the world
                          Staley got rid of the only IDL that could pass rush and you saw what he could do on a BETTER coached team.

Comment

Working...
                          X