• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
    Daniel Popper was on Locked on Chargers, which is a top-notch podcast in my opinion. He made some great points.. I love Popper’s insights too. He talked a bit about the injuries on the offensive side that has had its impact. Herbert has been nowhere near his usual self since the injury. The loss of Slater, Allen, and Linsley have been huge. Mr. First Down, Allen, is such an underrated loss in my opinion and add in Slater, those would be a lot for any coach to overcome in a few weeks. The good part is that that Allen and a few weeks later Williams will be back on the field, even with talks of a late return by Slater.

According to Popper, who I have a ton of respect for by the way, the defense is much closer to being good than it appears. Take away the miscommunications on several plays that were very costly, you have a very different movie. If the defense can carry the Chargers to a couple of victories over the next few weeks, things may seriously turn in the Chargers favor!
    As the board optimist (ha!) I understand and can buy this, but...

It's a leap of faith that Allen will be back 100% and not get re-injured (he couldn't even practice yesterday). We don't know when Williams will be back and how he will look - could be a lot longer than a couple of more weeks. Palmer is beat up and with 2 concussions in the past couple of months is one tackle away from needing to shut down for the year - and wasn't on the same page as Herbert anyway. Parham - same concussion worry. So sure, IF all those things work out and IF Pipkins knee is better and IF Herbert's ribs are better and he gets back to playing like an elite QB and IF the D can be fixed, we will be a wild card team. But even with all that, we'll have an uphill climb to get past KC and Buffalo. Now all teams are a QB injury away from having their season end and no way I'm throwing in the towel but a trade could have given us more margin for error. Hell, even a FA like Ross or Fuller would add some speed to the WR core and not cost us precious draft picks. I get not mortgaging your future with Herbert's payday coming up but we have waited for the perfect injury free season with all our FA and draft picks panning out and it just hasn't materialized into anything so it's kind of frustrating to do nothing.

Comment

• Boltgang74
      We Are The Storm!
      • Aug 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

It's a leap of faith that Allen will be back 100% and not get re-injured (he couldn't even practice yesterday). We don't know when Williams will be back and how he will look - could be a lot longer than a couple of more weeks. Palmer is beat up and with 2 concussions in the past couple of months is one tackle away from needing to shut down for the year - and wasn't on the same page as Herbert anyway. Parham - same concussion worry. So sure, IF all those things work out and IF Pipkins knee is better and IF Herbert's ribs are better and he gets back to playing like an elite QB and IF the D can be fixed, we will be a wild card team. But even with all that, we'll have an uphill climb to get past KC and Buffalo. Now all teams are a QB injury away from having their season end and no way I'm throwing in the towel but a trade could have given us more margin for error. Hell, even a FA like Ross or Fuller would add some speed to the WR core and not cost us precious draft picks. I get not mortgaging your future with Herbert's payday coming up but we have waited for the perfect injury free season with all our FA and draft picks panning out and it just hasn't materialized into anything so it's kind of frustrating to do nothing.
      POTD

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Daniel Popper is more like the an extension of the Chargers PR department than an actual reporter.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

thanks for the update
          but there is one thing - even if those players come back - which is a big IF - the WRs aren't getting faster

But Allen would help a lot - he is very reliable
          They weren't faster last year either. Guyton had 1 long TD catch. MW led the league with 40+ yard catches.
          I still think Herbert not being himself is a worse problem than the WRs. Hopefully he feels a lot better by our next game.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

They weren't faster last year either. Guyton had 1 long TD catch. MW led the league with 40+ yard catches.
            I still think Herbert not being himself is a worse problem than the WRs. Hopefully he feels a lot better by our next game.
            If only…love that narrative.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
              Pretty much retired......
              • Sep 2018
              • JoJa
              • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
              • Send PM

If, maybe, but.......words you hate to see when going into week 9.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Daniel Popper is more like the an extension of the Chargers PR department than an actual reporter.
                This might be true. Popper has the closest rapport.

However Daniel has been seen to ask the toughest questions too.

I see an excellent journalist. He is respected around The Athletic water fountains.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                  Pretty much retired......
                  • Sep 2018
                  • JoJa
                  • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

This might be true. Popper has the closest rapport.

However Daniel has been seen to ask the toughest questions too.

I see an excellent journalist. He is respected around The Athletic water fountains.
                  I listen to the radio broadcasts often (in another room to spare my wife my indignation) and Popper is open and yes even critical of this organization. I like the guy......

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Popper answering a question on if TT and Staley are back next year:

How likely is a new GM and potentially new coaches starting next season? — @MaxxxMunich

This was another question I received over and over on Twitter, and I did not want to ignore it. But the answer is not what you all are hoping for: We have to wait and see.

The Chargers are very much in the mix. If they can rattle off some wins over these final 10 games, they will likely get into the postseason, and then anything can happen.

The likelihood of changes being made depends entirely on how the rest of this season goes. That is the truth. Ownership is going to see this out and then assess afterward.

So we can circle back in 10 weeks.

Or maybe we will be focused on questions about the Chargers’ opening playoff matchup.

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

You have to take a look at what Miami is doing. They seem to be making a push for a playoff run. We seem to be doing the exact opposite! This is fine and all but I refuse to accept injuries as the reason this team should bring back TT and Staley! If this was a valid excuse we could have done something along the line again what Miami just did.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That is a fair point. So yes, injuries, especitlly to Herbert is obviously a factor. And maybe it wouldn't have meant a thing but with the way he played against the Jags - really wish they would have rested him that week. He did not look comfortable throwing the ball at all

Hope springs - Sunday is another game - if they win, 5-3.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                          You have to take a look at what Miami is doing. They seem to be making a push for a playoff run. We seem to be doing the exact opposite! This is fine and all but I refuse to accept injuries as the reason this team should bring back TT and Staley! If this was a valid excuse we could have done something along the line again what Miami just did.
                          I'm confused, what did Miami do that you want the Bolts to do?
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X