First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UtahBolt
    Did we win?
    • Jun 2013
    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
    • Send PM

I was at the game and I can tell you everyone around me was terrified they were going to go for two and elated when the kicker trotted out. Some were even cheering...
    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

You’re right in this regard. But remember that all analytics does is give you a binary choice of going for it or not. You still need to pick the right plays and execute. It’s like running the ball against a weak run defense. It’s common sense to do something like that. But if you fail, was it wrong to run? Or did you just picked the wrong plays to run against said weak defense?
      Good point. If u go for it on 4th down, MOST of the coaches in the NFL will dial up at LEAST some play that the defense hasn't seen...at least not that often...something with misdirection, motion, a play fake, ANYTHING but that mindless, predictable Ekkie up the gut vs. a stacked box for nada...

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

I also think we need to bolster the OL depth. Linsley is our oldest OL and has had back issues. Feiler missed an important game this year due to injury even though he’s only 29.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

I also think we need to bolster the OL depth. Linsley is our oldest OL and has had back issues. Feiler missed an important game this year due to injury even though he’s only 29.
          We should be adding depth on both the O and D lines every year.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

I know it sounds counter intuitive but I think I prefer a RT that is better at run blocking than pass blocking just because the best way to support 10 is to give him a dominant run game.
            as impressive as his 4th quarter comeback tie was, I would hate to see him fling it 60 times in a row ever again.
            We had to out of necessity but point is that no one wants to see a repeat of Rivers killing himself without a run game.
            Herbert himself has wheels so improving run blocking helps him directly and indirectly.

FA for D and rb
            Draft: finish the Oline
            G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              I know it sounds counter intuitive but I think I prefer a RT that is better at run blocking than pass blocking just because the best way to support 10 is to give him a dominant run game.
              as impressive as his 4th quarter comeback tie was, I would hate to see him fling it 60 times in a row ever again.
              We had to out of necessity but point is that no one wants to see a repeat of Rivers killing himself without a run game.
              Herbert himself has wheels so improving run blocking helps him directly and indirectly.

FA for D and rb
              It’s harder to go with a good run blocker when edge rushers can move around, and it’s a passing league. Also important to think of our division rivals defensive strengths. Is it better to have an RT better at pass blocking or run blocking in this division?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Chargers could have up to 4 comp picks
                so plenty of extra picks to take another OL and DL

out of 11 picks -- I am guessing 5 should be for OL, IDL, and Edge

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

What counts as depth? Someone who can actually be a full time starter if called upon? I thought Oday was depth given how little we paid him but he turned out to be a good starter. In the draft, do we spend a third day pick like a Jaimes again, or a third round pick to succeed Linsley? Those are the questions that go through my mind.

Comment

• Berserker76
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

This. Games are won & lost in the trenches, the great teams always have depth at these positions. Hopefully Staley knows what he's doing and who he needs, and TT follows his lead.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

For 2022, local columnist Bill Plaschke's interview with Staley: https://www.latimes.com/sports/charg...sial-decisions

Comment

• Berserker76
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

FA for D and rb
                        Good point. I'm not too hot on draft analysis myself, but know that many of you draftniks have already decided who we should pick at #17, provided he is still there.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

What counts as depth? Someone who can actually be a full time starter if called upon? I thought Oday was depth given how little we paid him but he turned out to be a good starter. In the draft, do we spend a third day pick like a Jaimes again, or a third round pick to succeed Linsley? Those are the questions that go through my mind.
                          Looking ahead beyond 22 and 23 into 24 and beyond, thats when Herbert will start making big money -- and he has never done it, but this year, is when I think if possible, Telesco should trade out of 1st round and start picking up more picks in R2-4. Now I know the Chargers have those comp picks, but unless one flips to the 4th rounder that Nick Korte mentioned for Rayshawn, all of them are 6th or 7th. SO not really many chances to make the squad

But if you can add a couple more picks in R2-R4 those players are cheap for 4 years - which would be ideal when dealing with Herberts 5th year option and his first year of the new deal. Plus, from a cap hit perspective, Asante Samuels cap hit as a mid 2nd rounder is half the cap hit of the 17th pick.

Also, the Chargers would be able to add depth at more roster spots and you bring up Linsley, they need more younger players.

Comment

Working...
                          X