• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Staley had some interesting big picture comments today on "The 33rd Team" show.

He says we progressing, and getting closer and closer to playing defense the way it is envisioned.

Regarding analytics, Staley reasserts that decisions are made on a case by case basis.

We are figuring this out.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

He says we progressing, and getting closer and closer to playing defense the way it is envisioned.

Regarding analytics, Staley reasserts that decisions are made on a case by case basis.

Aka learning on the job. Another test coming on sunday

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Are we getting closer to figuring out how to play offense in the 2nd half?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Probably a good question.
          Joe Lombardi

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

We will think of that.

Comment

• cmplxgal
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • New Jersey
              • Send PM

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Cosell's analysis always leaves you feeling smarter.

TY cmplxgal.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

from Popper.

Trey Pipkins: From project to development success

I have made a point in these Friday Notebooks to highlight young players who are appearing to take the next steps in their development this season.

I wrote about Asante Samuel Jr. in Week 2, Kenneth Murray Jr. in Week 3 and Chris Rumph II in Week 4.

We will continue that trend this week with a young player who has been a bona fide revelation this year: right tackle Trey Pipkins III.

Pipkins has been really solid so far this season as a run blocker and pass protector. The work he did with offensive line trainer Duke Manyweather in Dallas this offseason is noticeably paying off.

GO DEEPER

'I can't wait': After productive offseason, Chargers tackle Trey Pipkins eyes starting job

Pipkins pinpointed a couple of specific improvements this week that he felt have translated into his game performance.

“How much quicker I am out of my stance, that’s helped me a ton just in pass pro,” Pipkins said. “Focusing more on where I place my hands and my aiming points, things like that, have helped. There’s been a lot of stuff that’s helped me get off to this start.”

The Chargers can rely on Pipkins to protect on the right side, and that has made the adjustment to life without Slater a lot easier. Pipkins has given up only six pressures in his first four games, according to Pro Football Focus.

His run blocking has been even more impressive. Pipkins delivered key blocks on both of Austin Ekeler’s touchdown runs against the Texans.

“As you continue to understand the scheme and stuff like that, you understand where you want to invite your guys to go, because at the end of the day, it’s easier to take them where they want to go,” Pipkins said of his run blocking. “And if you’re inviting them in that direction, you can take them in that direction. It makes it a lot easier for you. So it’s just understanding the schemes and where the ball is going to hit and the entry point for the back. It just helps a lot, just knowing where you want to get your guy to go.”

Pipkins and rookie right guard Zion Johnson are starting to develop some quality chemistry on the right side. Those two could be the spark that finally gets the Chargers running game going. Last week was a step in the right direction.

“He’s an absolute freak,” Pipkins said of Johnson. “He makes it easy.”

Lombardi said that during his draft preparation in the spring he went back and watched Pipkins’ reps from his two starts in 2021 — against the Chiefs in Week 15 at left tackle and against the Broncos at right tackle — as well as his reps against the Seahawks in the preseason.

“You looked and you said, ‘You know what? It was pretty good,’” Lombardi said. “Maybe you have these memories of what training camp was like, but when he had a chance to go in and play — and you even look back at the preseason snaps — I think we probably had an opinion of him that wasn’t fair. We kind of made a decision that we’re going to give this guy every chance to win that job and had pretty high expectations after really sitting down and just iso-ing his reps at tackle in preseason and those two games. I think we had high expectations, but you never know. I think he’s met them.”
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Herb is talking a lot of brisket lately.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Herb is talking a lot of brisket lately.
                      Has he made plans with chef Tito?

they haven't called me..

Comment

• Berserker76
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                        from Popper.

Trey Pipkins: From project to development success

I have made a point in these Friday Notebooks to highlight young players who are appearing to take the next steps in their development this season.

I wrote about Asante Samuel Jr. in Week 2, Kenneth Murray Jr. in Week 3 and Chris Rumph II in Week 4.

We will continue that trend this week with a young player who has been a bona fide revelation this year: right tackle Trey Pipkins III.

Pipkins has been really solid so far this season as a run blocker and pass protector. The work he did with offensive line trainer Duke Manyweather in Dallas this offseason is noticeably paying off.

GO DEEPER

'I can't wait': After productive offseason, Chargers tackle Trey Pipkins eyes starting job

Pipkins pinpointed a couple of specific improvements this week that he felt have translated into his game performance.

“How much quicker I am out of my stance, that’s helped me a ton just in pass pro,” Pipkins said. “Focusing more on where I place my hands and my aiming points, things like that, have helped. There’s been a lot of stuff that’s helped me get off to this start.”

The Chargers can rely on Pipkins to protect on the right side, and that has made the adjustment to life without Slater a lot easier. Pipkins has given up only six pressures in his first four games, according to Pro Football Focus.

His run blocking has been even more impressive. Pipkins delivered key blocks on both of Austin Ekeler’s touchdown runs against the Texans.

“As you continue to understand the scheme and stuff like that, you understand where you want to invite your guys to go, because at the end of the day, it’s easier to take them where they want to go,” Pipkins said of his run blocking. “And if you’re inviting them in that direction, you can take them in that direction. It makes it a lot easier for you. So it’s just understanding the schemes and where the ball is going to hit and the entry point for the back. It just helps a lot, just knowing where you want to get your guy to go.”

Pipkins and rookie right guard Zion Johnson are starting to develop some quality chemistry on the right side. Those two could be the spark that finally gets the Chargers running game going. Last week was a step in the right direction.

“He’s an absolute freak,” Pipkins said of Johnson. “He makes it easy.”

Lombardi said that during his draft preparation in the spring he went back and watched Pipkins’ reps from his two starts in 2021 — against the Chiefs in Week 15 at left tackle and against the Broncos at right tackle — as well as his reps against the Seahawks in the preseason.

“You looked and you said, ‘You know what? It was pretty good,’” Lombardi said. “Maybe you have these memories of what training camp was like, but when he had a chance to go in and play — and you even look back at the preseason snaps — I think we probably had an opinion of him that wasn’t fair. We kind of made a decision that we’re going to give this guy every chance to win that job and had pretty high expectations after really sitting down and just iso-ing his reps at tackle in preseason and those two games. I think we had high expectations, but you never know. I think he’s met them.”
                        A great success story, many more on the way.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

So it took longer but Pip seems to be 3rd round successful pick. Haven't been many but he is one of them.

Comment

Working...
                          X