• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That may be true, but there ws a reason he went for it so much and he may or may not do that this year. He knew he didnt have enough of the right personel. I have to think he knew his defense was bad and wanted the offense to take control so he took more chances.

Also the talking heads.....how many of those guys are offered coaching jobs, let alone HC jobs? Id guess none or they dont want to be a coach.
    That Orvlosky talks a good game and i bet he thinks he could coach but IDK. The dude wasnt even aware enough in the EZ and stepped out of bounds when rushed and cost his team a safety. Something he would highly criticise on TV but everybody knows he did that lol.
    It's easy to second guess. Staley did make some head scratching calls - no doubt, but as I've said before he was playing with house money.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

[QUOTE=sonorajim;n1356460]
      Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

It's my guess that where LAC sets today was planned by Telesco & Staley. The aggressiveness, the building up of Herbert, draft position, FA adds, etc. We have an elite QB on a rookie contract, talent & experience all over and it's Time. 2021 was training camp for the 2022 SB push.
      Yep - Jim gets it.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Thanks Xenos!

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
          Regarding that final game of the regular season against the Raiders:

What never gets discussed is why the Chargers-- after Mike Williams scored a TD as time expired-- went for the one point conversion to tie the game and go to OT, instead of GOING FOR TWO POINTS, AND THE WIN?

Everybody knew that the Chargers' defense was gassed. Why *not* go for the win there?
          Good point. Even Lynn went for 2 (and successfully) versus the Chefs and it worked out...maybe Staley really DID want to improve our draft position...

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
            Thanks Xenos!
            Senility has many forms . . . .

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Senility has many forms . . . .
              What Are You Talking About Harrison Ford GIF by Star Wars

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

[QUOTE=sonorajim;n1356497]
                Originally posted by blueman View Post

Excuses? #3 passing O, #5 scoring O? Most of us thought the offense was very good. The Dallas game was flat and the O stunk at Bal & Den. 3 games out of 17. The other 14 we avg 29ppg.
                Saying the D stunk is a simple fact, not an excuse for the O.
                You mention RB2, RT. There were also RG problems, and an unusual # of passes dropped. Something to work on on yr 2. Zion, Spiller & Everret are solid
                adds. Better D should help.
                #1 Offense is possible. If we don't go deep in the playoffs, new excuses will be needed.
                So we only lost three games? Funny we weren’t in the playoffs. I thought our O was fantastic, just sucks they left so many Ws on the field. Oh well, hopefully they remember those tough games, and have an appropriate chip on their collective shoulders. As for the D, glad that collection of players is mostly in the rearview, looking forward to the new blood (on O too!).

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Because a tie gets us into the playoffs as well. If it was only a win scenario, the analytics would be to go for the win instead.
                  The chances of that game actually ending in a tie seem ridiculously remote. What percentage of games that go to OT end up tied at the end of the OT period? 2%?

If memory serves, maybe two or three NFL regular season games end up in ties.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

Going for 2 points for winning a game, it's like gambling on a coin toss.
                    When you think you have a better team, you don't do that.

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

If we don't go deep in the playoffs, new excuses will be needed.

Quote of the week! Finally fans are stating to understand the culture set being in Los Angeles and having a coach like Brandon Staley! We now have the star players, the franchise QB, good coach, ETC. No excuses for not making the playoffs now!!!! Not making the playoffs is unacceptable!!!!

The good news is I know that raiders loss really left a sort of injury on Staley, you can tell when he is asked about it and last season! I know he is going into game #1 this year seeking redemption for that final game! Good enough. For now. In fact I really like hearing him talk about football and these games provided the results add up to the objective.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

I wonder why Norton didn't attend those training sessions in Dallas?
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

[QUOTE=blueman;n1356519]

So we only lost three games? Funny we weren’t in the playoffs. I thought our O was fantastic, just sucks they left so many Ws on the field. Oh well, hopefully they remember those tough games, and have an appropriate chip on their collective shoulders. As for the D, glad that collection of players is mostly in the rearview, looking forward to the new blood (on O too!).
                          We lost 3 games where the offense did not produce at or near their potential.
                          I get your point that you want the O to dominate the closing minutes and that 90% or better of 1 score games should be a W given our QB & receiver talent. I would like that too. I believe it's a fact that the players and coaches believe they should.
                          10 of 17 games should not depend on closing minute heroics by the offense. We were 5-5 in one score games under Staley / Lombardi.
                          Having a more complete team, O, D & STs in 2022 should help.

Comment

Working...
                          X