Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

[QUOTE=electricgold;n1356415]
    Originally posted by blueman View Post

The talking heads today on ESPN all agreed that Brandon Staley was the reason we didn't make the playoffs last season. They sited the coaching job he did in the Raiders game was a horrible head coached game that they should have won and he was the reason they lost. (We all could agree Staley did have a Marty New England game moment, going for it on our side of the field).

All this being said IF we don't make the playoffs this year how could anyone justify bringing Staley back for a 3rd year. This is fine with me because to me its always about making the playoffs, and if you don't, being in Los Angeles you gotta go.

On a brighter note, IF we make the playoffs this year all is forgiven because we do have the talent to compete with any team in the league and that hasn't always been the case with these Chargers teams. Also IF we do in fact make the playoffs you really could state the Herbert & Staley era has begun and the skies the limit. Fingers crossed.
    Beyond the coaching, I credit Staley for the talent infusion this year. So I’m good with him for the next few years.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

It’s your job for the taking Pipkin. Go get it!

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Hope Pip is right...I'll believe it when I see it...in the meantime, if Pip does excel, send Salyer down to Texas to get some pointers from Duke also...and take Jaimes with him...

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Prove me wrong Pip.
          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Hope Pip is right...I'll believe it when I see it...in the meantime, if Pip does excel, send Salyer down to Texas to get some pointers from Duke also...and take Jaimes with him...
            I’m sure it’s expensive to work with Salyer. Pipkins at least got 3rd round money. The other two don’t have that luxury.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

The talking heads today on ESPN all agreed that Brandon Staley was the reason we didn't make the playoffs last season. They sited the coaching job he did in the Raiders game was a horrible head coached game that they should have won and he was the reason they lost. (We all could agree Staley did have a Marty New England game moment, going for it on our side of the field).

All this being said IF we don't make the playoffs this year how could anyone justify bringing Staley back for a 3rd year. This is fine with me because to me its always about making the playoffs, and if you don't, being in Los Angeles you gotta go.

On a brighter note, IF we make the playoffs this year all is forgiven because we do have the talent to compete with any team in the league and that hasn't always been the case with these Chargers teams. Also IF we do in fact make the playoffs you really could state the Herbert & Staley era has begun and the skies the limit. Fingers crossed.
              That may be true, but there ws a reason he went for it so much and he may or may not do that this year. He knew he didnt have enough of the right personel. I have to think he knew his defense was bad and wanted the offense to take control so he took more chances.

Also the talking heads.....how many of those guys are offered coaching jobs, let alone HC jobs? Id guess none or they dont want to be a coach.
              That Orvlosky talks a good game and i bet he thinks he could coach but IDK. The dude wasnt even aware enough in the EZ and stepped out of bounds when rushed and cost his team a safety. Something he would highly criticise on TV but everybody knows he did that lol.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                Social Piranha
                • May 2022
                • Flyover, USA
                • Send PM

[QUOTE=Formula 21;n1356422]

Beyond the coaching, I credit Staley for the talent infusion this year. So I’m good with him for the next few years.
                I hope this doesn't ruffle too many feathers, but is it at all possible that a sort of "business decision" was made by Staley (or upper mgmt)? Because his decisions were pretty darn peculiar - e.g. nickel alignment w/ Chris Harris manning the edge on a play where everyone in the world knew the Raiders were running the ball?? Not to mention going for it near your own end zone?

But in any case, the way that squad was composed, there was slim chance that they'd do anything better than go one and done in the playoffs. OTOH the outcome was pretty ideal if you ask me - picking earlier in a draft lacking tier 1 players seems much more ideal for a team that badly needed some bona fide starters. B/c if they win, their draft position drops to at least 22. I doubt a near slamdunk starter like Zion Johnson would've lasted that far - I honestly think the Pats wanted the Boston College standout at 21, but traded down after he was taken.

Anyways, this isn't a crazy conspiracy theory - just that I don't think it would've been the 1st time a decision was made with an eye out for future benefit. Clearly the decision to make all these highly uncharacteristic (for the Chargers) offseason acquisitions wasn't formulated overnight. Everyone knows the next two years represents their best opportunity since '06. Beating the Raiders likely would not have helped that cause, despite the intense rivalry. Regardless, I guess it doesn't matter - only that they are definitely sitting prettier now. Pretty easy to forget that loss as a mere speed bump now.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

The talking heads not understanding the Raider game or the context of why Staley went for it there is exactly why they’re talking heads instead of on a team.

As previously noted, Staley’s analytical aggressiveness last season is the reason we were able to still be in all the games last year, and helped us win more often than not.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

The talking heads not understanding the Raider game or the context of why Staley went for it there is exactly why they’re talking heads instead of on a team.

As previously noted, Staley’s analytical aggressiveness last season is the reason we were able to still be in all the games last year, and helped us win more often than not.

That chart makes it look like Staley’s decision making goes downhill in prime time games.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

[QUOTE=Duck of Death;n1356453]
                      Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I hope this doesn't ruffle too many feathers, but is it at all possible that a sort of "business decision" was made by Staley (or upper mgmt)? Because his decisions were pretty darn peculiar - e.g. nickel alignment w/ Chris Harris manning the edge on a play where everyone in the world knew the Raiders were running the ball?? Not to mention going for it near your own end zone?

But in any case, the way that squad was composed, there was slim chance that they'd do anything better than go one and done in the playoffs. OTOH the outcome was pretty ideal if you ask me - picking earlier in a draft lacking tier 1 players seems much more ideal for a team that badly needed some bona fide starters. B/c if they win, their draft position drops to at least 22. I doubt a near slamdunk starter like Zion Johnson would've lasted that far - I honestly think the Pats wanted the Boston College standout at 21, but traded down after he was taken.

Anyways, this isn't a crazy conspiracy theory - just that I don't think it would've been the 1st time a decision was made with an eye out for future benefit. Clearly the decision to make all these highly uncharacteristic (for the Chargers) offseason acquisitions wasn't formulated overnight. Everyone knows the next two years represents their best opportunity since '06. Beating the Raiders likely would not have helped that cause, despite the intense rivalry. Regardless, I guess it doesn't matter - only that they are definitely sitting prettier now. Pretty easy to forget that loss as a mere speed bump now.
                      It's my guess that where LAC sets today was planned by Telesco & Staley. The aggressiveness, the building up of Herbert, draft position, FA adds, etc. We have an elite QB on a rookie contract, talent & experience all over and it's Time. 2021 was training camp for the 2022 SB push.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Regarding that final game of the regular season against the Raiders:

What never gets discussed is why the Chargers-- after Mike Williams scored a TD as time expired-- went for the one point conversion to tie the game and go to OT, instead of GOING FOR TWO POINTS, AND THE WIN?

Everybody knew that the Chargers' defense was gassed. Why *not* go for the win there?

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

If Pipkins (or Norton) is an NFL average RT or better, we have a very good OL.

Comment

Working...
                          X