Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
    Yes, there is a correlation.
    Anybody can call plays when everything is perfect - like Norv had it for a couple seasons.
    Good playcallers can make the best out of bad situations though. I think Pagano has done that with our defense. Our defense isn't good. But Pagano throws up enough smoke-and-mirrors, that, with the exceptions of a few games like yesterday's, our defense gives us the opportunity to win almost every week. Whisenhunt managed to make do with the shit he had at offensive line. Reich hasn't.

Am I expecting to put up 40 points a game? No. Do I want to see us stretch the field and get all ballsy with our playcalling like some people on here have been calling for? Fuck no. Not with this offensive line.

I would like to see our #1 pick at runningback get the ball more often. I don't want to see Rivers throwing the ball 34 times per game.
    Perfect? Our online had 3 backups, 1 banged up backup and 1 banged up starter, neither of who would have been in the game except for we had no other linemen left. I'm sorry but it's ludicrous to think any OC is going to have success in that situation. That isn't me coming out in support of Reich as I still think the jury is out on him, but let's be real - you can't judge him by who he had available in that game yesterday.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
      Agreed when it happens this many times I don't think it's simply bad luck anymore.

There is something flawed with what we're doing. Not sure if its the strength and training, diet, etc.

Something just isn't right.
      But what is it? We have changed GMs, coaches, trainers, team doctors, and players and the same crap keeps happening over and over again.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        Perfect? Our online had 3 backups, 1 banged up backup and 1 banged up starter, neither of who would have been in the game except for we had no other linemen left. I'm sorry but it's ludicrous to think any OC is going to have success in that situation. That isn't me coming out in support of Reich as I still think the jury is out on him, but let's be real - you can't judge him by who he had available in that game yesterday.
        You misunderstood what I wrote.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          But what is it? We have changed GMs, coaches, trainers, team doctors, and players and the same crap keeps happening over and over again.
          I have no idea. It's mind blowing.

Do players come here and get soft with the SoCal lifestyle? I know that sounds like a major reach but the injuries are so consistent every single year regardless of draftee, free agent, etc
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Do players come here and get soft with the SoCal lifestyle? I know that sounds like a major reach but the injuries are so consistent every single year regardless of draftee, free agent, etc
            I sort of am forced to hear about the Cardinals due to where I live. They have a zillion injuries every season too. When I lived in Redskins territory, the fans there always complained about injuries too. Oh, and all the Cowboys fans friends/in-laws I have, are always bitching about injuries. Do we really have a lot of injuries compared to the rest of the league?

According to one site, we had it the worst last season ...

The league seems to be in the throes of an injury epidemic. Here’s how each team has been affected, ranked in order of who has been hit the hardest

but were doing fine before that.

We all took notice when a spate of big-name players went down in the preseason, a trend that has seemingly continued into the regular season. But are major injuries up, or is it all in our heads?

Maybe it's Telesco.

Comment

• homeless simpson
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                Here are things that we did back in 2013, which leads me to believe Whisenhunt was a bigger reason for our success on both the OL and the offense than we might think, because we don’t seem to do them anymore and have been less effective:

1) overly simplified playbook and offense. we had a new offense to learn and a revamped OL, it was boring and methodical, but our execution was better. that simplicity also helped bring players off the bench up to execute without missing a beat. Now we have a lot of miscommunication on OL on top of injuries and Rivers constantly changing plays at the line. Which brings me to the next point:

2) the plays given to Rivers were more limited. He had the option of switching to run or pass, and if we were passing and the read wasn’t there, Rivers threw the ball away immediately. Frustrating to watch at times since we get a lot of throw aways, but it sure was effective. it limited OL mistakes and limited Rivers getting hit and/or making mistakes himself. now we just constantly see Rivers frantically changing plays at the line.

3) those ridiculous designed rollouts. as worthless as it looks, it did actually prevent the defense from teeing off on Rivers by moving the pocket. a lot of those rollouts ended up with Rivers just throwing the ball away. Common theme as number 2, Rivers was either passing the ball or chucking it out of bounds, both almost immediately.

are any of the three I’ve listed above things that you’ve seen us do since Whiz has left? doesn’t seem like McCoy nor Reich is making any adjustment that is similar to that. what we have are guys on OL who don’t seem to know who to block, and Rivers spazzing out before the ball is snapped…all things that look more like 2011-2012 than 2013.
                That's what I've been saying. 2.5 second pass plays. Nobody open? Throw it away. Don't let Rivers take a hit. Oh, and run the fucking ball with Gordon. And, if it don't work the first 10 times, give it to Gordon 10 more times. Don't let Rivers take a hit.

Comment

• FiftyFive
                  Dean Spanos is a traitor!
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Send PM

Here's why this era feels like a rerun of Norv and AJ. We changed the GM, we changed the coaches, but the owner stayed the same.

Dean's priorities as owner are still the same and still screwed up:

1.) Being viewed as the big man on campus with a shiny expensive toy - and he won't tolerate anyone questioning his authority, which is why Boss Ross and Marty were run out of town, Rex didn't get the job, we didn't even try to go after Harbaugh, Arians didn't get the job, and we keep hiring pantywaists like Norv and McCoy.

2.) Moving to LA. Seriously, he's shown more passion about taking San Diego's team away over the last 10-15 years than anything that's ever happened on the field in that time period. Norv can shit all over us for years and we're told to "take a chill pill" and accept it, but every time something might go San Diego's way in the stadium debacle, Dean flips a shit and sends out Fabiani to dismiss it.

3.) Setting up all his brat kids with jobs they're underqualified for.

We can fire Tom Terrible and Tragic Mike, but until this franchise is sold to someone who cares about winning and isn't named Spanos, all we'll get is another rerun of the same old garbage we've seen for 30 years now.
                  Last edited by FiftyFive; 09-28-2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by FiftyFive View Post
                    Here's why this era feels like a rerun of Norv and AJ. We changed the GM, we changed the coaches, but the owner stayed the same.

Dean's priorities as owner are still the same and still screwed up:

1.) Being viewed as the big man on campus with a shiny expensive toy - and he won't tolerate anyone questioning his authority, which is why Boss Ross and Marty were run out of town, Rex didn't get the job, we didn't even try to go after Harbaugh, Arians didn't get the job, and we keep hiring pantywaists like Norv and McCoy.

2.) Moving to LA. Seriously, he's shown more passion about taking San Diego's team away over the last 10-15 years than anything that's ever happened on the field in that time period. Norv can shit all over us for years and we're told to "take a chill pill" and accept it, but every time something might go San Diego's way in the stadium debacle, Dean flips a shit and sends out Fabiani to dismiss it.

3.) Setting up all his brat kids with jobs they're underqualified for.

We can fire Tom Terrible and Tragic Mike, but until this franchise is sold to someone who cares about winning and isn't named Spanos, all we'll get is another rerun of the same old garbage we've seen for 30 years now.
                    I'd like to agree because I hate the Spanos family as football owners (not as human beings). But Klein sucked too and so did the Clippers owner and most of the Padres owners in my lifetime. I'm not sure replacing the Spanoses would solve our problems. We'd just get some other rich bastards who don't give a fuck about the fans or San Diego in general.

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I said in some other thread that of my friends that follow football, most are fans of other teams and basically say the Bolts are soft, whenever they have anything to say about them at all.

Some go on and even say that EXACT thing you said above: that "they couldn't be anything but soft, given that it's a SoCal thing, because the city is so nice and with a laidback style, that it just happens to most any player that comes there, it's not really their fault." I get so fed up with these comments I could throat punch everyone of them, but of course I don't and wouldn't. It's just a passing thought 😉
                      Yet year after year, the team just gets crushed with injuries, so my frustration is partly that I have no comeback at all to prove to them that their opinions on SD are ridiculous. Basically, I then tell them to go enjoy Pittsburgh's or Baltimore's or DCs climate and beaches... then of course it's on to how many rings do the Chargers have again?, etc. Anyway...

I agree, the effing injuries are completely mind blowing. I think we've changed almost everything but owners over the past several years and it remains that the injuries continue to pile up and are ALWAYS a big factor -- season after season after season. Like you, I also have no idea what else they can try to fix it. Then thoughts of those comments about how they can't help it because it's San Diego creep in, even though it's totally preposterous... Ugh.

Look, we're all fans of this team and not one of us are rooting for mediocrity and continual 9-7 seasons - not one. I apologize for being super sarcastic with my replies to some of you guys here, you especially, BoltX and EE420. We're all fans of one of the most frustrating sports franchises in history, and sometimes it gets the better of us - well, me.

I just don't see how any coach can be consistent with our ridiculous injuries year in and year out. Even Lombardi would have trouble getting over .500 imho. I know some of you guys say injuries are no excuse, and the players and coaches themselves say it, as well. To me, it's not the injuries - EVERY team deals with injuries - but it's the shear amount and consistency of them. If you guys see it differently than me, that's fine too. I'll leave it at that.

I'm just gonna stop now engaging (negatively) in the fracas, post a little less and go back to being the boring, annoying, mostly positive ra-ra guy in GDTs
                      Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Marshall/Boogie View Post
                        I said in some other thread that of my friends that follow football, most are fans of other teams and basically say the Bolts are soft, whenever they have anything to say about them at all.

Some go on and even say that EXACT thing you said above: that "they couldn't be anything but soft, given that it's a SoCal thing, because the city is so nice and with a laidback style, that it just happens to most any player that comes there, it's not really their fault." I get so fed up with these comments I could throat punch everyone of them, but of course I don't and wouldn't. It's just a passing thought ��
                        Yet year after year, the team just gets crushed with injuries, so my frustration is partly that I have no comeback at all to prove to them that their opinions on SD are ridiculous. Basically, I then tell them to go enjoy Pittsburgh's or Baltimore's or DCs climate and beaches... then of course it's on to how many rings do the Chargers have again?, etc. Anyway...

I agree, the effing injuries are completely mind blowing. I think we've changed almost everything but owners over the past several years and it remains that the injuries continue to pile up and are ALWAYS a big factor -- season after season after season. Like you, I also have no idea what else they can try to fix it. Then thoughts of those comments about how they can't help it because it's San Diego creep in, even though it's totally preposterous... Ugh.

Look, we're all fans of this team and not one of us are rooting for mediocrity and continual 9-7 seasons - not one. I apologize for being super sarcastic with my replies to some of you guys here, you especially, BoltX and EE420. We're all fans of one of the most frustrating sports franchises in history, and sometimes it gets the better of us - well, me.

I just don't see how any coach can be consistent with our ridiculous injuries year in and year out. Even Lombardi would have trouble getting over .500 imho. I know some of you guys say injuries are no excuse, and the players and coaches themselves say it, as well. To me, it's not the injuries - EVERY team deals with injuries - but it's the shear amount and consistency of them. If you guys see it differently than me, that's fine too. I'll leave it at that.

I'm just gonna stop now engaging (negatively) in the fracas, post a little less and go back to being the boring, annoying, mostly positive ra-ra guy in GDTs
                        Don't do that.
                        My feeling aren't hurt. I don't even remember what you said that was negative.
                        Go San Diego Chargers.
                        And 9-7 is fine if it gets in the post season and leads to a Super Bowl championship.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Marshall/Boogie View Post

Some go on and even say that EXACT thing you said above: that "they couldn't be anything but soft, given that it's a SoCal thing, because the city is so nice and with a laidback style, that it just happens to most any player that comes there, it's not really their fault." I get so fed up with these comments I could throat punch everyone of them, but of course I don't and wouldn't. It's just a passing thought ��

Next time your friends talk shit, invite them and their east coast family to go body surfing in the San Diego ocean. They won't get more than knee deep in cold before they find out who the pussies are.

Here's some stuff I posted in another thread. It shows the Chargers didn't really have major injury problems until last year. So the injuries aren't a San Diego thing.

According to one site, we had it the worst for injuries last season ...

The league seems to be in the throes of an injury epidemic. Here’s how each team has been affected, ranked in order of who has been hit the hardest

but were doing fine before that.

We all took notice when a spate of big-name players went down in the preseason, a trend that has seemingly continued into the regular season. But are major injuries up, or is it all in our heads?

Comment

Working...
                          X