• homeless simpson
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
    San Diego Chargers Offense: Facing the Double A Gap Blitz
    By Jeffrey Siniard  @JeffSiniard on Oct 2, 2015, 9:00a +

Brad Rempel-USA TODAY Sports

...I can't think of a play that better illustrates Danny Woodhead's value as a blocking RB. He steps up and pick ups one of the blitzers, and buys enough time for Rivers to get rid of the ball. Unfortunately, Rivers double clutches, and LB Anthony Barr eventually sheds a Watt/Franklin double-team and the result is a sack and fumble, recovered by the Vikings.
    2013: If the play is not there, throw the ball out of bounds immediately. pre-2013 and post 2013: gunslinger.

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
    Actually we can scheme to move the point of contact away from the middle of the Oline as we did on the WR screen.
    Nearly every single play since last year has the QB and RB just lined up right smack in the center of the pocket making things so much easier for the defense to tee off on Rivers or the RB since the play always starts right down the middle. 2013: designed rollouts so that the pocket isn't always in the same spot, while also forcing the outside rusher to take the longer path to the qb. it also made it easier for Rivers to just throw the ball to the ground to stop the play since he's out of the pocket. I think Rivers made more "throw the ball away" plays than waiting for something to develop that one year.

Comment

• KNSD
      Registered Charger Hater
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think the Eagles stole the double A-gap blitz from my Junior High team which ran it in the '80s.
      Prediction:
      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
        2013: If the play is not there, throw the ball out of bounds immediately. pre-2013 and post 2013: gunslinger.

Nearly every single play since last year has the QB and RB just lined up right smack in the center of the pocket making things so much easier for the defense to tee off on Rivers or the RB since the play always starts right down the middle. 2013: designed rollouts so that the pocket isn't always in the same spot, while also forcing the outside rusher to take the longer path to the qb. it also made it easier for Rivers to just throw the ball to the ground to stop the play since he's out of the pocket. I think Rivers made more "throw the ball away" plays than waiting for something to develop that one year.
        Good post. All the more reason Reich looks outmatched.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
          Throwing the ball does not equal "win". Running the ball does not equal "lose". And we're talking about running the ball more than passing rather than passing the ball more than running.

We've been doing the "pass the ball more than running" thing and pretty much Rivers had to leave the last game due to rib injuries and we got smoked.
          Run can if you do it badly enough, which unfortnately we are. The facts are in front of you that we cannot consistently move the ball on the ground. Gordon breaks some long runs, but that is the only way we are going to get 1st downs. Just look at the stats you posted and think about it. It's pretty obvious.

You're hoping that we would have a different outcome, which is understandable, but not based on anything but fairy dust.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

If all the want is third and 7 or better why not run on first and second down. That's two trys to get three yards when we are averaging over 4 per carried.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I believe I read that we have passed 100 times and run 84 times so far this year, FWIW

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The thing is we are using a system that favors the QBs preferences and creates a harder time for Melvin Gordon to have success. On top of that we need to allow MG to take off the training wheels and give him 20+ touches a game.
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Not sure why the focus on the double A gap stuff. Teams are just blitzing all the gaps to get man on man stuff. We can't stop any of them. We are not struggling because of scheming. We are struggling because even when our OL knows who to block, they can't get them blocked. it is all about execution. If it was the double A gap thing giving so much trouble, why can't we block base rushes against 4 rushers?

We also face a ton of double A gap stuff in practice. Double A gap is a staple of all NFL defenses right now, and in large part it is because of both Pagano brothers.

Pretty tough to get 20 plus carries a game when the running game sucks so much. We would have to sustain our running game, and we are clearly incapable of doing that. Too many negative plays. That is why we couldn't run last year, and we haven't fixed it this year.

Comment

• TTK
                    EX-Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • America's Finest City
                    • Send PM

Reich could try something else besides the shotgun draw...

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoDak
                      • Technology Director
                      • Send PM

I was just glad to have confirmed what I was seeing live last Sunday. 13 times sounds about right.
                      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

How about a little acknowledgement for the job McCoy and his staff did this past week? It was the Browns but they are still an NFL team with a lot of talent. McCoy had to gameplan around not having half his secondary and 3/5 of his offensive line. Then, in the game he ended up without 3/4 of his secondary, Fluker had to leave the game at times, and he lost two starting WRs. And they were still efficient on offense and they won.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• TTK
                          EX-Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • America's Finest City
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                          How about a little acknowledgement for the job McCoy and his staff did this past week? It was the Browns but they are still an NFL team with a lot of talent. McCoy had to gameplan around not having half his secondary and 3/5 of his offensive line. Then, in the game he ended up without 3/4 of his secondary, Fluker had to leave the game at times, and he lost two starting WRs. And they were still efficient on offense and they won.

TG
                          Praise for McCoy isn't allowed around here.

Comment

Working...
                          X