Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post
    No they didn't....Fred Dean was traded for.

There was no such thing as free agency in the NFL back then. Blame stupid ownership/management on the Chargers side for that blunder.
    We traded Fred Dean due to money. The 49ers also ended up with Louie Kelcher and Big Hands Johnson - aka our defensive line.

And, yes - I blame Gene Klein. May he rest in peace, but he still fucked up our team.

I still have no respect for the 49ers coaching staff. The owner spent a shitload on his team. A lot of coaches could have done as well.

Comment

• Faded blues
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
      We traded Fred Dean due to money. The 49ers also ended up with Louie Kelcher and Big Hands Johnson - aka our defensive line.

And, yes - I blame Gene Klein. May he rest in peace, but he still fucked up our team.

I still have no respect for the 49ers coaching staff. The owner spent a shitload on his team. A lot of coaches could have done as well.
      Totally
      Agree.

Klein was a tightwad

And Walsh is a dick.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
        Totally
        Agree.

Klein was a tightwad

And Walsh is a dick.
        Klein was a dick too. He completely overreacted in trading JJ and Fred Dean. Those moves, especially trading Fred Dean, ruined this team. When Fouts held out he brought in Shack Harris. We're lucky he didn't ship Fouts out at that time, though he was a free agent at the time (but bound to the Chargers). During the 1983 draft there was speculation that Klein was gonna trade all three of his #1 picks to draft Elway. Everyone thought they would have Elway learning from Fouts but no way that was gonna happen, Fouts was once again a free agent and I have no doubt Fouts would've been gone if Elway came in here.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Klein used to sign chargers draft picks to longer then normal contracts to keep paying them like rookies for as long as possible. Then when the players started having great success, he kept acting like players should keep playing for the same sort of wages. And for a while he had all kinds of all pros playing on rookie contracts. But they were so pissed off, he had no chance of keeping them. Klein is a big part of why player/owner relations got to the point that free agency was a necessity.

Remember, back then players couldn't leave a team if they didn't have a contract. When your contract expired, you HAD to sign another one with the same team until they cut or traded you. Fouts was stuck with the Chargers even if his contract expired. The teams owned the players and that was that. If the player didn't get a contract he liked, he held out until the team budged, cut or traded them. But most of them couldn't afford to hold out long, because no one got that much money back then.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Klein used to sign chargers draft picks to longer then normal contracts to keep paying them like rookies for as long as possible. Then when the players started having great success, he kept acting like players should keep playing for the same sort of wages. And for a while he had all kinds of all pros playing on rookie contracts. But they were so pissed off, he had no chance of keeping them. Klein is a big part of why player/owner relations got to the point that free agency was a necessity.

Remember, back then players couldn't leave a team if they didn't have a contract. When your contract expired, you HAD to sign another one with the same team until they cut or traded you. Fouts was stuck with the Chargers even if his contract expired. The teams owned the players and that was that. If the player didn't get a contract he liked, he held out until the team budged, cut or traded them. But most of them couldn't afford to hold out long, because no one got that much money back then.
            This is all true. But Fouts was never gonna get that contract if Elway got drafted, he would've been the new Chargers QB. Coming into Coryell's system that would've been nuts, but it was neither here nor there because beginning in 1983 Chargers stopped making the playoffs.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
              This is all true. But Fouts was never gonna get that contract if Elway got drafted, he would've been the new Chargers QB. Coming into Coryell's system that would've been nuts, but it was neither here nor there because beginning in 1983 Chargers stopped making the playoffs.
              That's about the time Spanos took over. We moved from one loser owner to another. But at least Klein didn't spend every year threatening to move the team.

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

That's about the time Spanos took over. We moved from one loser owner to another. But at least Klein didn't spend every year threatening to move the team.
                Klein made one brief threat, when the USFL first started the team that ended up in LA was slated to play in San Diego. Klein made a huge fuss and threatened to move the Chargers to Phoenix that very season (1983) if the franchise came to town, so the team ended up as the LA Express - they picked that name because they had to move to LA.

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Walsh won because his white-collar criminal owner spent the most money. The 49ers bought our defense.

The Cheater cheats.

No respect for either as a coach.
                  I'm not disagreeing with the owner/GM aspect of your comments (I actually agree with you mostly), but if I asked many actual football people their opinions on the 49er's management during that era, I honestly don't know what they would say.

I have, however, heard and read many football people's opinions on Walsh over the years, and they certainly seem to hold him in high regard. He certainly did win multiple SBs and certainly did get voted into the HOF. Regardless of how you and I feel, many people in and around the league more than you and I have a lot of respect for Walsh.

Would you and I have voted for him for the Hall? Probably not. But to have literally NO respect for him? I'll disagree.

I wonder how many nights he spent in the office. Or how many dinners or how much family time he missed over his career for his craft? I would wager more than you and I, but I could be wrong. It is true though that he made it to highest level of his profession and was more successful than most. And I can respect him for being a professional who gives his all for his craft. If you know better, please enlighten me. It'll be far from the first time I've been corrected, nor will it be the last.

Look, I didn't know the man, so have no idea if he was an asshat or not. I also don't know how much of a hand in or what he knew about how the GM went about acquiring his players. However, he certainly knew what to do with what he was given (which was A LOT, to say the least). So, of course I respect him as a professional - just not as much as a lot of actual football people who've gone on record of how great he was. (Of course, I'm probably wrong in not giving him the utmost "football" respect, given that I'm just a fan and not an actual NFL football person, lol)

The whole FO and how they gathered the talent definitely keeps me from listing him with the greats. But again, I don't know what his hand was in all that. I CAN go on his success as a HC, plus my gut feeling of how he would do if plopped down in any other team. My gut tells me he would of been a good coach wherever he went. Probably not the same level of a success, but a good coach nonetheless.

In the end, the dude was massively successful at his chosen profession and seems to have had a lasting effect on his players and franchise. The "No Respect" thing seems a little sour grape-y to me - and I've certainly joined you in having sour grapes over the years being a Charger fan this long, lol.

As far as Billipuke and the Pasterisks*, I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire, lol...
                  Last edited by Marshall/Boogie; 09-25-2015, 07:42 AM. Reason: Spelling, always spelling
                  Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    Not talking about you my friend. I just can't believe the non-stop bitch fest about everything is still going on.
                    Ok, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification👍
                    Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I think as the 49ers HC Walsh was basically (not sure if he had the actual title) the GM and Head Coach. He may have been an asshat (he came across as such in his brief time as a color analyst on NBC) but there's no denying his coaching greatness. Fouts credits Walsh with his turnaround as a QB (Walsh was the Offensive Coordinator for one season, 1976, before Stanford snapped him as a head coach).

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Bill Walsh was behind all that...

Comment

• Boltaction
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Not only the Loose Cannons talk about the poor coaching by McCoy but also many other pundits say that his decisions had a big part of losing the game against the Bengals. Even Fouts that knows a thing about football questioned McCoy for not taking advantage of the last minute in the half when the Chargers were trailing. Fouts said why sign Rivers to a hundred million dollar contract if your not going to allow him to play.

See below another pundit that sees it like it is, and even says as I believe something needs to be done about it.

They see a coach that does not believe in THEM.

And when that is reciprocated, "the organization decided to go a different direction" becomes inevitable.

This may be just a crazy opinion, but I believe the players on this team deserve better. I hated watching one more week of Mike McCoy delivering the message to his team that he does not think they are good enough to justify taking calculated risks.

Comment

Working...
                          X