Improving the WR Corps (Mike Williams Signs - 3 Years 60M)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmplxgal
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • New Jersey
    • Send PM

Mostly Wow! with a little bit of yikes that's a lot of money. But glad it's done!

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
      Mikes new contract probably deserves its own thread right ?
      I started a thread during the season and the need to sign Mike Williams to a new contract. It got closed, not sure why.

Comment

• Parcells
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Three years…I would have expected 4. I would have expected both sides would have wanted 4.

Comment

• Fleet 1
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Kauai
          • Send PM

20M per was always going to be close to the ceiling of a new deal for MW. And in our offense....he might even be more valuable than Keenan. His market rate was close to 18M.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I started a thread during the season and the need to sign Mike Williams to a new contract. It got closed, not sure why.
            It got hostile, so I closed it. I don't think Mike needs his own thread, but if you want to go back to his draft thread, its still available.

Comment

• Air Coryell
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2021
              • Carlsbad, CA
              • Teacher, Coach, CFO
              • Send PM

Not a fan of the deal. With $19M to KA, we have roughly $40M tied up in 2 WR's. We do not have the needed $$ now to fix big holes needed to compete at a championship level. Typical TT.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                Not a fan of the deal. With $19M to KA, we have roughly $40M tied up in 2 WR's. We do not have the needed $$ now to fix big holes needed to compete at a championship level. Typical TT.
                So letting him walk and creating a hole to fix another hole helps us how?

Comment

• Air Coryell
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2021
                  • Carlsbad, CA
                  • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He is not a WR1 or worth $20M a year. If you can't fixed the hole at DL and OT, it doesn't matter who lines up outside. You need to manage the CAP. Poor decision by TT.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                    My guess -- the cap hit for Mike Williams will be closer to $15m than $20. So between the three WRs -if you include Palmer, that makes the cap hits around $35m total

Next year - the Mike Williams cap hit will increase (as will the cap) and the Keenan Allen cap hit - well he will renegotiate a lower salary or possibly be released - so possibly the same 35m cap hit

By signing Mike Williams to a three year deal - unless everybody is way off base - this actually helps the Chargers more than the franchise tag would have.

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Looks like the 1st round pick will not be a WR.

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I was just going to post something similar - like "Damned if you do; damned if you don't". The team just can't let all their good players go, and then have to replace them, and expect to get better. Now, having said that, there is some truth to the fact that we now have less money to spend on FA then we did before. But the general consensus here was that, other than Adams (who was *NEVER* coming here), there really wasn't a better FA wide receiver option out there. Allen Robinson? DJ Chark? Calvin Ridley was just suspended. Sure, those guys would have been cheaper, but would they have been an improvement? Not IMO.

The team still needs to address all their weaknesses in FA and the Draft. But they no longer have to waste one of those options on a WR.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2021
                          • Carlsbad, CA
                          • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

My guess -- the cap hit for Mike Williams will be closer to $15m than $20. So between the three WRs -if you include Palmer, that makes the cap hits around $35m total

Next year - the Mike Williams cap hit will increase (as will the cap) and the Keenan Allen cap hit - well he will renegotiate a lower salary or possibly be released - so possibly the same 35m cap hit

By signing Mike Williams to a three year deal - unless everybody is way off base - this actually helps the Chargers more than the franchise tag would have.
                          To me, MW is just a guy, a good but not great WR. Way over drafted at #7. Good WR's like Cooper are getting cut for cap issues. Modern football is the QB and the line of scrimmage. Your CAP investments need to mirror those.

Comment

Working...
                          X