That's a win. No matter how you slice it.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by FiftyFive View Post
    Injuries are part of the game.
    Right. We've had our share in recent years and managed to sniff the playoffs if not make them.

We don't have depth
    We won?

and that's an indictment on the GM
    Partially. We have limited dollars (like most teams). We miss on players sometimes (like most teams). This year we had a little more money to spend. If I have any beefs with Telesco it's that we didn't spend a little more on the OL but it's one thing to say that and another thing to look at the talent available and see who is actually worth what they cost.

who looks more and more like AJ with each passing year.
    Say whaaa? He doesn't look much at all like AJ to me. Not at all.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Secondary was missing Verrett, Flowers (almost half the game), Mager, Addae, and Phillips (almost half the game).

That's rough.

OLine was missing a bunch of dudes. 3 to start, and I read someone post on twitter (I think it was Annie) that we had 0 players in the original O line in their positions in the 2nd half.

WR's - No Jones (again...seriously, how bad did he hurt his ankle on that 1 punt return?), Floyd and Johnson go down along the way, and No Gates.

Beating anyone... yes even the Browns... anyone with that lineup, and the continued losses they continued to suffer, is a good win.

It wasn't like we came into the game banged up, and just stayed that way. Came into the game banged up, and continued to lose guys along the way.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
        We tackled much better than the previous 3 three games!
        True. Still need a lot improvement, though. That excuse me whiff tackle on the sideline by Flowers that allowed a play that should have been over gain an additional 20 some-odd yards was reminiscent of that shit Weddle pulled vs the Broncos a couple years ago. Inexcusable.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
          True. Still need a lot improvement, though. That excuse me whiff tackle on the sideline by Flowers that allowed a play that should have been over gain an additional 20 some-odd yards was reminiscent of that shit Weddle pulled vs the Broncos a couple years ago. Inexcusable.
          I don't think the tackling was better at all - it was awful again. Way too many whiffs, bad angles and lack of wrapping up.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
            Fack i cant wait to get Gates back. He changes things on O a little bit. Let teams single cover him.

I like that we won while being so beat up. The depth players got some good experience. Lets get the OL healthy and start mauling.
            Exactly.

2-2 without Gates is pretty good. Now if we could get some tackling and enough OL to give Gordon two steps after the handoff, we might have something.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
              The good news is we stuck it out and won a game against an evenly-matched team.

The bad news is the Browns are an evenly-matched team.
              When healthy, we're not evenly matched. Not even close.

Comment

• TABF
                Por debajo del promedio
                • Jun 2013
                • SoCal
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
                This oline that literally was working at Walmart on Friday was better than the oline last year.
                Agree; The OL that was working at Wallmart last week got an NFL win and actually outperformed the oppositions OL based on strictly Dubyas and Ells.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  I don't think the tackling was better at all - it was awful again. Way too many whiffs, bad angles and lack of wrapping up.
                  All true. But we actually had some TFL. We had sacks. On some plays we actually defensed the run properly. We either strung it out for no gain or we stopped a guy in the backfield (or made an apparent stop for a big loss and allowed the ballcarrier to slither out for a small loss). On some plays we actually stuffed a player. These were things we didn't see at all in previous games.

Pagano always tightens up tackling after about 4 straight games where we suck at it. He's very reactive in that sense. He tightens it up (somewhat; it never gets THAT much better), it looks good for a couple weeks then it regresses. I want that guy gone. I keep hearing how he doesn't have good talent. OK. But he and his staff do not get the most out of the talent they have. I think someone else could get more out of Ingram, Liuget, Reyes, Te'o and maybe even Butler. But tackling is the defense's primary responsibility and we've sucked...I mean REALLY SUCKED...at it for at least six years. Maybe longer. The other thing that drives me batshit about our defense, and this goes back even longer, is how frequently we are about to make a sack and we let them get a big gain, especially on third down. I mean, we are right there and somehow we're a split second too late or we don't wrap up and the QB buys two more seconds. It's maddening. I'd shitcan Pagano now and promote Mora for the rest of the season. See how he does. If we don't see improvement overall, but specifically in terms of tackling, then we move on to someone who can coach. I don't mean just playcall. I mean, someone who can coach and has a staff committed to teaching.

Speaking of Ingram, I am sick and goddamn tired of his one penalty a game schtick.

Comment

• captaind
                    Cook This Pork Chops
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Mars
                    • Ball Holder
                    • Send PM

When healthy, we're not evenly matched. Not even close.
                    Doesn't matter come game day. All that matters is the product on the field.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
                      Doesn't matter come game day. All that matters is the product on the field.
                      OK, we still weren't evenly matched. We had Rivers.

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

All true. But we actually had some TFL. We had sacks. On some plays we actually defensed the run properly. We either strung it out for no gain or we stopped a guy in the backfield (or made an apparent stop for a big loss and allowed the ballcarrier to slither out for a small loss). On some plays we actually stuffed a player. These were things we didn't see at all in previous games.

Pagano always tightens up tackling after about 4 straight games where we suck at it. He's very reactive in that sense. He tightens it up (somewhat; it never gets THAT much better), it looks good for a couple weeks then it regresses. I want that guy gone. I keep hearing how he doesn't have good talent. OK. But he and his staff do not get the most out of the talent they have. I think someone else could get more out of Ingram, Liuget, Reyes, Te'o and maybe even Butler. But tackling is the defense's primary responsibility and we've sucked...I mean REALLY SUCKED...at it for at least six years. Maybe longer. The other thing that drives me batshit about our defense, and this goes back even longer, is how frequently we are about to make a sack and we let them get a big gain, especially on third down. I mean, we are right there and somehow we're a split second too late or we don't wrap up and the QB buys two more seconds. It's maddening. I'd shitcan Pagano now and promote Mora for the rest of the season. See how he does. If we don't see improvement overall, but specifically in terms of tackling, then we move on to someone who can coach. I don't mean just playcall. I mean, someone who can coach and has a staff committed to teaching.

Speaking of Ingram, I am sick and goddamn tired of his one penalty a game schtick.
                        Tackle of the game goes to Perryman. I forget which RB it was but he met him the hole and stuffed him like a Thanksgiving turkey with a text book tackle. Even the crowd reacted. For that alone maybe he starts over Butler going forward.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Isn't tackling pretty basic for a defensive player? I mean, what is more important? It's definitely maddening watching the Browns, of all teams, march up and down the field because we can't tackle anyone (Yeah, McCown was tackled four times - sacks - but he holds onto the ball longer than a whiny five-year old). IMO, any given defensive team coach gets replaced after 16 games if tackling isn't improved under his watch. It just seems so basic to the game of football. What game are the current defensive players on the Chargers playing when they don't tackle? Hide 'n seek? It is annoying.
                          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Working...
                          X