That's a win. No matter how you slice it.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly I think Butlers problem is he stopped taking HGH/Roids Ect. Used them to get a fat contract, then got off them to not risk getting caught.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard4SanDiego View Post
      Honestly I think Butlers problem is he stopped taking HGH/Roids Ect. Used them to get a fat contract, then got off them to not risk getting caught.
      Maybe that's Suh's problem, too? Guy seems to be a non-factor. Not that he's playing any less dirty....

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
        Isn't tackling pretty basic for a defensive player? I mean, what is more important? It's definitely maddening watching the Browns, of all teams, march up and down the field because we can't tackle anyone (Yeah, McCown was tackled four times - sacks - but he holds onto the ball longer than a whiny five-year old). IMO, any given defensive team coach gets replaced after 16 games if tackling isn't improved under his watch. It just seems so basic to the game of football. What game are the current defensive players on the Chargers playing when they don't tackle? Hide 'n seek? It is annoying.
        Tackling like those of us who played football were taught is simply not a common practice in today's NFL. ESPN-style highlights and NFL Films videos have popularized the 'kill-shot' big hits which stop players cold when the defender makes solid contact. But time and again, you see guys pulling that shit and not making solid contact (or whiffing completely) and a big gain results. We're the masters of the shoulder-knock-out-of-bounds on plays that should be over but which our guy ends up out of bounds and the ballcarrier is off to the races. It's sickening.

However, in spite of the fact that most of the league is filled with poor form tackling, you will note that the successful teams are at least somewhat better at it (if not significantly better) than the rest of us. It's bread and butter, but it matters when defending. We're horrible at it and have been for years and years.

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
          Maybe that's Suh's problem, too? Guy seems to be a non-factor. Not that he's playing any less dirty....
          Watching the NFL Network they just featured a few plays with Suh isolated. It looks to me he's just not giving a rip, he's getting pushed out of position, not making much effort, even missed a tackle he should have had (he had the RB seemingly wrapped at the line of scrimmage, the back broke free and Suh casually jogged after him while a DB had to make the tackle downfield). He's cashing checks at this point.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
            Watching the NFL Network they just featured a few plays with Suh isolated. It looks to me he's just not giving a rip, he's getting pushed out of position, not making much effort, even missed a tackle he should have had (he had the RB seemingly wrapped at the line of scrimmage, the back broke free and Suh casually jogged after him while a DB had to make the tackle downfield). He's cashing checks at this point.
            The Dolphins got 'Haynesworthed'.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Glad we didn't sign him in the offseason. I was very much in favor of signing him for our NT and now I feel a bullet was dodged.
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Suh needs his Defense schemed around his talents. Making him into a 2 gap DL to occupy blockers and keep lesser players clean is a lot of why Philbin was canned today.
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• FloatMyBOLT
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2015
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                  Te'o was all over the field yesterday.
                  Granted, he is a shit tackler but he's our most instinctive LB. If he were stronger/faster he'd be a helluva player.
                  As is, he's a solid guy. Not great, just solid.
                  I completely agree with this take. He was in the area for a lot of plays, hence the tackles, but no highlight reel hits and some pretty bad whiffs. If we don't jam those short crossing routes at the line, none of the LBs can cover worth a s**t.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

NFL players don't get to practice tackling players to the ground. Too many offensive and defensive guys get hurt, so you only practice to the point where you wrap up. That isn't just us, that is everyone. And tackling is terrible across the league too. Everyone I talk to about football laments how their team can no longer tackle.

Suh is not being asked to 2 gap. You can tell by alignment and the way he likes to freelance. I haven't heard him say anything, but the way he is half assing it, he is not really in a position to complain. I think he has probably cashed it in and gotten soft, IMHO. Unfortunately, Franklin probably has too (also, just my FWIW). A lot of guys who sign big money contracts and go to new teams do that, which is why buying talent doesn't really work. Look around the league, and most of last years big money FA are like that. And the year before, and before that...... It's not that they aren't trying, but I don't think they are focused on doing all the technique work, the extra focused film work... They lose the edge that made them great pretty quick. That is why I think it is pretty universal, not just these players. It is pretty much human nature.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      NFL players don't get to practice tackling players to the ground. Too many offensive and defensive guys get hurt, so you only practice to the point where you wrap up. That isn't just us, that is everyone. And tackling is terrible across the league too. Everyone I talk to about football laments how their team can no longer tackle.
                      While this is true, the level of substandard tackling is not uniform. Some teams in the league still do it better than others. IMO we are one of the worst. And without looking, I'd say the numbers probably back that up.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I am not sure it is the tackling that is really the issue. Against Minn, Attoachu and Emmanuel both technically missed tackles, but the root cause was that they got out of position and then ended up lunging and diving to try and tackle AP, but the tackling is pretty secondary. If they had been where they were supposed to be, even a missed tackle would have slowed/stopped AP, at least to the point that someone else could have helped. We seem to make a lot of those, but the tackling is not the problem being out of position is, which is the thing WEddle was going on about.

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          ... but the tackling is not the problem being out of position is, which is the thing WEddle was going on about.
                          Can it be both, Steve?

My "football eye" is no where near yours, but it seems bad tackling is definitely an issue. I am sure being out of position played a big part in a lot of the bad D plays, seeing how Weddle mentioned it himself. However, just thinking back on the game (and previous games) it sure seems like the Chargers are in the bottom half of the league in the "form tackling" column. Though I haven't re-watched the Browns game, either. And I am often wrong : - )
                          Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                          X