• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

1). You can't coach int. He gets them of tips, but a lot of them he is in the right spot because he plays tight coverage and is in the right spot behind the WR. But you can't coach them.

2). The Bills crushed the Pats because NE runs almost exclusively man coverage and they beat it with crossing routes and fades. But the split secondaries can take away those coverages, especially if they can pressure the QB, so those longer developing routes aren't open yet.

3). BB is great at teaching guys to play with flawless technique and Jackson has flawless technique. If he has a weakness in man, it is that he lacks elite speed, so guys like Hill and Hardman are going to force us to give him some deep help, because Jackson can't run with them for long. BUt he will make up for it somewhat by knocking them off their routes early in the route. Jackson probably has the best chuck at the line of any DB in the NFL.

4). ????

5). Even Jalen Ramsey got beat in the SB. THere is no such thing as a shutdown CB in the NFL anymore. Jackson is as good a press coverage player as there is. His other coverages are not good, but if you go after a guy like Jackson, you aren't going to ask him to play a lot of zone.

6). As long as he continues to work on his technique and play press as well as he does, we should be in good shape. The biggest issue I have with Jackson as a CB is he forces us to play more man and combo coverages. If you are going to make that work, you need other CB to play man, preferably press man to man, and knock the WR off their routes. No matter how good he is, Jackson is only one of 6 or 7 players in pass coverage for us, the rest of the guys need to do their job too.
    So let's draft another press corner...

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Some people are sooo greedy lol.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Some people are sooo greedy lol.
        Time to corner the market on press corners...

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Stingley or McDuffie ?

Comment

• AK47
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
            Stingley or McDuffie ?
            I like McDuffie since he's a solid tackler, very versatile, not to mention more likely to be available than Stingley.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

I like McDuffie since he's a solid tackler, very versatile, not to mention more likely to be available than Stingley.
              Stingley very well might fall past #16: injuries and lack of productivity after freshman year.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I don't know if you need to get a ton of them, since Davis can play some press and so can Samuels.

But it takes more positions than that. LB, S ... and not just the starters, the depth too.

But, I think that is the direction that the Chargers are moving. Jackson is not a good zone player but excels at man. White, who is an excellent zone coverage player was allowed to leave, but he was not so good at man coverage. That leaves Murray, who is a better man coverage player, than zone player, with Tranquill who can play both. Adderley and DJ both have experience in man and zone coverage playing CB in college. I think the move to playing a lot more man coverage is on. I wouldn't be surprised if we add some more man coverage players, but the move in that direction seems to be on.

And now we don't have to match up against Hill ... the move looks even better.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I don't know if you need to get a ton of them, since Davis can play some press and so can Samuels.

But it takes more positions than that. LB, S ... and not just the starters, the depth too.

But, I think that is the direction that the Chargers are moving. Jackson is not a good zone player but excels at man. White, who is an excellent zone coverage player was allowed to leave, but he was not so good at man coverage. That leaves Murray, who is a better man coverage player, than zone player, with Tranquill who can play both. Adderley and DJ both have experience in man and zone coverage playing CB in college. I think the move to playing a lot more man coverage is on. I wouldn't be surprised if we add some more man coverage players, but the move in that direction seems to be on.

And now we don't have to match up against Hill ... the move looks even better.
                  Lose Hill but gain Adams on the Raiders. We'll always have headaches in our division.

:smoking:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Stingley very well might fall past #16: injuries and lack of productivity after freshman year.
                    Its funny how they grade CBs. Oh Stingley has the prototypical length NFL teams are looking for. McDuffie is good but a bit shorter. They're literally 1 inch apart. 2 at the most.

Can the guy play press man coverage in the NFL and can the guy stay healthy for a full NFL season are the two top attributes I'm looking for.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Kaiir Elam @17 then?

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Kaiir Elam @17 then?
                        Prefer a RT @#17...or trade down a few slots for RT...

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Prefer a RT @#17...or trade down a few slots for RT...
                          No, do not trade down. Pick the player you want and do not gable with our young, brilliant QB's safety.

Comment

Working...
                          X