Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Just cut him. He has his millions.
    He's had two years to refressh...maybe he will play like a 30 year old! I'm just not willing to risk $10.7 mill without restructure. He's already getting $3.3 for signing bonus so he should take an additional $3 mil on top. If not he gets cut and probably the end of his career.

opcorn:
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

Originally posted by MagicMamba88 View Post
      This got me really excited

Dude has elite ball tracking and you can see he worked tip drills HARD

Ball Hawk

Mr. INT

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Just cut him. He has his millions.
        If he restructures to basically Vet min, there's no risk.
        he's either healthy enough to be penciled in or not
        Having him cost nothing isn't going to prevent us from drafting a legitimate prospect, so there's almost zero risk and the upside is problem solved at RT.
        we're letting our emotions dictate a bit here, if we had no intention of exploring this option he would be cut already imo.
        people say we don't have to, but there's a positive in cuttimg him asap as it gives the market another optio.
        so say we are interested in signing Morgan Moses, giving Bulaga to the market, we add to the supply.
        I think there js some smoke here and wouldn't be shocked if this is the plan.
        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

If he restructures to basically Vet min, there's no risk.
          he's either healthy enough to be penciled in or not
          Having him cost nothing isn't going to prevent us from drafting a legitimate prospect, so there's almost zero risk and the upside is problem solved at RT.
          we're letting our emotions dictate a bit here, if we had no intention of exploring this option he would be cut already imo.
          people say we don't have to, but there's a positive in cuttimg him asap as it gives the market another optio.
          so say we are interested in signing Morgan Moses, giving Bulaga to the market, we add to the supply.
          I think there js some smoke here and wouldn't be shocked if this is the plan.
          vet minimum is still something with his tenure eh? And vet minimum to do nothing is still wasted cap space.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I did not pay a lot of attention to Jackson during his career and I try not to watch the Patriots unless I have to.

But here are a few things I have heard and read since he announced he is coming to the Chargers (not listing all the accolades, since those are all pretty well known and discussed already)

1. If you watch his highlight films, a lot of his INTs seem to be tipped or batted and he is in the right place at the right time. And makes the catch. And a few came against the rookie QB from the Jets and they were just awful throws. Did not see too many where he had blanket coverage?
            2. Charles Davis, who I like a lot, said Jackson really struggled against Diggs when they played the Bills and he called those games. So he wondered how he will do against Tyreek Hill?
            3. Some said that Jackson, while very good, is a product of the Belicheck system that made players like Malcolm Butler look great. The counter to that is that Staley expects a lot of his DBs and does some Belicheck type things so it might just be the perfect fit.
            4. NE media (former Patriots players like Nikovitch and Bruschi and the like) said Jackson was starting to get a bit big in the britches and showing up late for sessions with trainers and stuff. Not big deals but red flags to them. However, Belicheck does not tolerate that and it sounds pretty ticky tacky to me.
            5. Some question him locking down the best player from the other team each week. Translation he is not Jalen Ramsey.
            6. And of course, several said that this is another good player that Belicheck made look great and he won't be great without the great Belicheck and Belicheck didnt think he was great enough to keep.

Thats all I got and it doesnt pile up to much negative about this guy.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Staley looks for a lot of the same things in CBs as Belichick.

I don't expect anyone to cover Diggs or Hill 1v1. Neither does Staley if you watch the tape from 2020. When Ramsey is in man it usually isn't against the quick type, it's on the single side so that they can run combo coverages. Lots of rotations, crosses, and switches to alleviate issues with man coverage.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                Charger Fan till the end
                • Jun 2013
                • North Carolina
                • Send PM

I think Jackson is a good signing. It moves Davis and Samuel down the list a notch. He may not be a perfect cover corner but for the money I think he is solid and will not be a weakness back there. He's young too so we can expect him to be around for the next 4-5 years and its not too big of $$ with the cap going up.

Combine him with Mack, SJD, Bosa, DJ, ASJ I think we have a lot of talent back there. Get the pash rush going and ideally we can shorten the window for Mahomes to throw to his speed guys. If the new DL can contain Mahomes and finally get him sacked with 2 ends to worry about.

So far Jackson is an important part to help the D out. Less pressure on Davis to cover the #1s is actually big.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Keep in mind that Derwin and Ramsey have always wanted to play together.
                  If we re sign Derwin, Ramsey becomes a FA
                  we could potentially see Derwin, Ramsey and Jackson in the same backfield in a few years.
                  G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    I did not pay a lot of attention to Jackson during his career and I try not to watch the Patriots unless I have to.

But here are a few things I have heard and read since he announced he is coming to the Chargers (not listing all the accolades, since those are all pretty well known and discussed already)

1. If you watch his highlight films, a lot of his INTs seem to be tipped or batted and he is in the right place at the right time. And makes the catch. And a few came against the rookie QB from the Jets and they were just awful throws. Did not see too many where he had blanket coverage?
                    2. Charles Davis, who I like a lot, said Jackson really struggled against Diggs when they played the Bills and he called those games. So he wondered how he will do against Tyreek Hill?
                    3. Some said that Jackson, while very good, is a product of the Belicheck system that made players like Malcolm Butler look great. The counter to that is that Staley expects a lot of his DBs and does some Belicheck type things so it might just be the perfect fit.
                    4. NE media (former Patriots players like Nikovitch and Bruschi and the like) said Jackson was starting to get a bit big in the britches and showing up late for sessions with trainers and stuff. Not big deals but red flags to them. However, Belicheck does not tolerate that and it sounds pretty ticky tacky to me.
                    5. Some question him locking down the best player from the other team each week. Translation he is not Jalen Ramsey.
                    6. And of course, several said that this is another good player that Belicheck made look great and he won't be great without the great Belicheck and Belicheck didnt think he was great enough to keep.

Thats all I got and it doesnt pile up to much negative about this guy.

TG
                    Might explain why Belichick chose not to franchise tag him or try very hard to re-sign him. I've seen a video of him v Diggs, Diggs definitely go the better of him. In other video of his highlights, I did also notice that a lot of his INTs did come on tipped balls or miscommunication between the receiver and the QB. But then again he understands how to be in position more frequently to capitalize from those miscues, and it might also be he was exceptionally quick reflexes that allow him to grab errant passes.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

JC Jackson: 16.5M/year

Charvarius Ward: 14M/year

Yeah, I think TT did real good.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Raiders' CB Lester "Stickum" Hayes still holds the post-merger record for INTs in a season, with 13 in 1980. (This was during the Raiders' heyday; the season the Raiders won their 2nd Lombardi after improbably beating the Chargers at the Murph in the AFC Championship game.) Teammate Fred Biletnikoff had introduced Hayes to Stickum a few years earlier, and Hayes took to slathering it all over his hands and body. The league banned Stickum the following season, known as the Lester Hayes Rule. Hayes would never come close to double digit INTs again.

Trevon Diggs' 11 INTs this past season is the closest anybody has come to equaling Hayes' record since 1980. J.C. Jackson was second in INTs to Diggs in 2021 with 8. In 2020, J.C. was again second with 9, to Xavien Howard's 10. But nobody has more INTs in the past two seasons than J.C.

That begs the question: Can J.C. Jackson equal Hayes' record, or set a new single season, record for INTs as a Charger? Two things work in has favor: 1. Opposing offense are going to be forced to pass a lot against the Chargers in order to keep up with the Chargers' high-powered Justin Herbert scoring machine, giving him lots of opportunities. 2. The potentially lethal combo of Mack and Bosa forcing early and errant throws. Another factor that might work in J.C.'s favor is that if Asante Samuel makes a big leap in 2022, the Chargers will have a pretty decent corps of DBs, and offenses won't have the luxury of just avoiding throwing to J.C.'s side of the field.

I played CB in high school. (I was a better WR than CB, but back then we all played offense, defense and ST.) So these next few seasons with J.C. wearing the Bolts is going to be interesting to for me to watch play out.

(I guess it should be noted that pre-merger, Dick "Night Train" Lane holds the NFL single season INT record, with 14 in 1952 as a rookie for the LA Rams.)

Rw110-20.jpg

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

There’s a lot of positive energy coming from the Bolt’s organization right now that I think players want be a part of.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X