• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Fair enough but, I’m not sure I love them having to skimp on RT (unless you’re ok with Storm Norton getting another go there) and IDL.

While agreed that those 4 sound nice I just hope that the rest of the gaping holes on the team aren’t swept under the rug because we got some splashy new toys.
    Signing JC Jackson or any CB should not affect their ability to get RT unless they are stupid with their cap

Comment

• Budsman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Signing JC Jackson or any CB should not affect their ability to get RT unless they are stupid with their cap
      Based on over the cap we have 21million remaining after Mack and Williams, if JC costs what 18-20 with a cap hit of what 15 million you think that won’t affect their ability to sign a good right tackle? Agree to disagree I guess.

I personally think RT is a bigger need for this team. We will not win without protecting Herbert. I have watched what happens when you neglect the OL for too long. In an offensive league you have to make sure you can score points and you don’t do that with your QB on the dirt. I will take a slightly less expensive veteran CB and a very good RT than a very Good CB and a mediocre RT. My two cents, take it for what it’s worth.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Fair enough but, I’m not sure I love them having to skimp on RT (unless you’re ok with Storm Norton getting another go there) and IDL.

While agreed that those 4 sound nice I just hope that the rest of the gaping holes on the team aren’t swept under the rug because we got some splashy new toys.
        I highly doubt Storm is their 1rst or 2nd option at RT this year, should they add no one.
        He's about to turn 28 and has pretty much reached his ceiling, which is at the ankles of Slater.

It would be Pipkens or Feiler: maybe they like one of these options.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Based on over the cap we have 21million remaining after Mack and Williams, if JC costs what 18-20 with a cap hit of what 15 million you think that won’t affect their ability to sign a good right tackle? Agree to disagree I guess.

I personally think RT is a bigger need for this team. We will not win without protecting Herbert. I have watched what happens when you neglect the OL for too long. In an offensive league you have to make sure you can score points and you don’t do that with your QB on the dirt. I will take a slightly less expensive veteran CB and a very good RT than a very Good CB and a mediocre RT. My two cents, take it for what it’s worth.
          First, Bryan Bulaga is still on the roster - so thats another 11m. The cap hit for JC Jackson - if he signed - will be like 8-9m tops. This isn't AAV - its cap allocation

There are more CB options in free agency with solid options at RT in the draft. So you can solidify RT in the draft. I just don't see a RT worth signing in free agency - I would much rather use pick 17 on RT.

But if the Chargers want to sign say Moses the RT and a very good CB - they can.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Latest mock I saw had Cross to us at 17. Wishful thinking?

Spend that money!

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

First, Bryan Bulaga is still on the roster - so thats another 11m.
              And the big question is: WHY is Bulaga still on the roster? Particularly at that kind of cap number. Is the team waiting for some drop-dead date to pass before they can cut him for maximum cap benefits? Anybody know?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                Latest mock I saw had Cross to us at 17. Wishful thinking?

Spend that money!
                Yep! If they aren't in cap hell by weeks end i'll be pissed.

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

First, Bryan Bulaga is still on the roster - so thats another 11m. The cap hit for JC Jackson - if he signed - will be like 8-9m tops. This isn't AAV - its cap allocation

There are more CB options in free agency with solid options at RT in the draft. So you can solidify RT in the draft. I just don't see a RT worth signing in free agency - I would much rather use pick 17 on RT.

But if the Chargers want to sign say Moses the RT and a very good CB - they can.
                  Interesting take, I highly doubt they get him at 8-9 million cap hi this year (I’m fully aware of aav vs cap) but if they can then I’m all in on it. If they do get a 8-9 mil this year he will ballon later and if we expect that it’s mostly signing bonus to spread out the cap hi then that will balloon a TON later and we can’t escape that bonus money. Also if you think JC will take a deal loaded with late year salary then you’re probably thinking to wishfully. He will want guaranteed money and with his leverage in this market will get it from someone.

also while we like to talk about Bulaga there are a lot of other players that need to be resigned and or replaced and that money isn’t “free” to be spent. It will likely be spread out if the chargers use a lot of cap space.

overall I hope you’re right, I just highly doubt you are.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Better work on that cap hit because that’s really close to the last of the juice if I’m doing my math correctly.
                    They can make it so his cap hit is only $1million this year. Whether you want to push everything to the future is another question altogether.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I would love it if all that happens, (sans running back, I’m a Marlon Mack fan personally). But I just doubt the chargers brass makes the move for JC before that’s done, gambling on other key positional upgrades based on a players desire to help the team. If I remember correct Bosa wasn’t too team friendly last time he negotiated his contract.
                      Restructuring a contract is more beneficial for a player because they usually get more guaranteed. Bosa would do it in a heartbeat.

Comment

• Budsman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

I guess if they do something like this https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...-ramsey-18953/ I’m ok with it. If he takes it then I’m on board.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

As the roster sits right now we NEED need:

RG, IDLx2, RB2, CB, KR/PR, kicker, punter

We want need:

RT, LB, flex DB, 4th edge, backup OC, 3rd TE, 4th TE.

I don't think spending it all on 2 positions is the right move. Need to sign 4 or 5 guys. If you can fill out ST on day 3 of draft that helps with the cap, but that gets us to covering 5 to 7 in the draft, not 10.

Comment

Working...
                          X