• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Meh….you still got Murray and Tranquil in the middle. Mahomes, Wilson, and Carr will still have more than enough time to hit TE’s and slant receivers in 2 seconds as Murray runs in the wrong direction.
    If Murray is that erratic than they'll go with Oggy/Niemann.

Murray will be able to zip up his pants....although you doubt even that much.

note: You think Carr will be holding on to the ball for 2 whole seconds? He's going to get that baby out of his hands before you can blink an eye.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Maybe i need to go to the Kahlil Mack thread to have riverwalk tell me how Mack is old and Trey Smith is going to turn him into his bitch.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Meh….you still got Murray and Tranquil in the middle. Mahomes, Wilson, and Carr will still have more than enough time to hit TE’s and slant receivers in 2 seconds as Murray runs in the wrong direction.
        DT's have a much shorter distance to get to the QB, so even if all they do is get some penetration, the QB has to put the ball down and reset, giving the edge guys a chance to get to the QB, even on shorter drops. Plus, there is just the disruption that it brings to the timing of the play.

People are underestimating how bad our DL was last year. It was historically bad, so upgrading to Johnson and Joesph-Day is a big improvement over Jones and Joesph. I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a DL high in the draft, but that depends on who is there and what pick it might be.

Who we pick at #17 is going to depend entirely on what the teams in front of us do. Anyone who says we should draft position X at pick #17 is just being stupid. That is how teams reach for bad players. We take the best player at any of a couple different positions, whoever falls to us at 17 (or wherever we end up picking).

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Agreed,as long as its a RT :shrug:

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

It's a new Day!
            His DL partners are Austin Johnson and Tillery.
            Mack - Bosa Edge.
            CBs- JC Jackson, Asante Samuel, Mike Davis
            Ss- DJ, Nas Adderley

Our pass rush & coverage should be elite. Each group makes the other better.
            They still have to put it in action but the talent level is best ever on paper.
            Except the team still needs to find more pass rushers aside from Bosa, Mack, and Tillery. It's been proven time and time again, that just 2-3 guys isn't enough to keep up the good defensive efforts. It's why the team keeps collapsing late in games. Bosa has been going through injuries. He could benefit with the backup edge players to spell him when he has to come off the field.

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Could be.

Fortunately, Staley is better positioned then you and me in assessing whether Day was
            accomplishing his assignments in 2020.

Day's responsibility was to free up Donald.....there exists a duality you need to consider.
            Day's job was not to keep Donald bogged down and fail to win his one on one matchups....that's for sure.
            The best player we have that can get penetration like Aaron Donald is Jerry Tillery. But people hate on him. It's a joke, and ridiculous.

Originally posted by Steve View Post

DT's have a much shorter distance to get to the QB, so even if all they do is get some penetration, the QB has to put the ball down and reset, giving the edge guys a chance to get to the QB, even on shorter drops. Plus, there is just the disruption that it brings to the timing of the play.

People are underestimating how bad our DL was last year. It was historically bad, so upgrading to Johnson and Joesph-Day is a big improvement over Jones and Joesph. I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a DL high in the draft, but that depends on who is there and what pick it might be.

Who we pick at #17 is going to depend entirely on what the teams in front of us do. Anyone who says we should draft position X at pick #17 is just being stupid. That is how teams reach for bad players. We take the best player at any of a couple different positions, whoever falls to us at 17 (or wherever we end up picking).
            The DL play was bad because the team didn't have the right depth. DL you need to rotate the players just like you would do with the RB unit. And Staley needs to do better with dividing the snaps on the DL and edge players, and not give too many snaps to the starters because it wears them out. DL players expend the most energy out of all the position groups on a football roster doing what they do and how they are built. Staley used 5 DL players most of the time. Sometimes he would use 6 on gameday.

I thought Justin Jones was overrated. I didn't like how reckless he could be with his play on pursuing players with the ball. As for Linval Joseph, he was basically another Mebane; good for only on running downs to stop the run game.

This team still needs to find another pass rusher on the interior other than Tillery. Sebastian Joseph Day seems similar to Justin Jones, both are good against the run, but Day is a better pass rusher. The team needs to find a Covington replacement. They do have Fehoko, Gaziano, and Merrill, but they should bring someone in just for good measures and to ramp up the competition for the DL spots.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The best player we have that can get penetration like Aaron Donald is Jerry Tillery. But people hate on him. It's a joke, and ridiculous.

But his job wouldn't be keeping Tillery singled up - Tillery's play does that all by himself; SBJ will try and keep the inside linebackers clean.
              Not arguing against getting more pass rushers. Hard to come by at DT.

Comment

• Craig440
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

I've seen a few video's of SJD and I am a little concerned. Is he selling hoodies? I like his hoodie but if he is marketing them I'm not sure I like the distraction. Especially on the day he signs his contract and just meets people.

Edit. Oh I don't like the LA on it thought haha.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

If Murray is that erratic than they'll go with Oggy/Niemann.

Murray will be able to zip up his pants....although you doubt even that much.

note: You think Carr will be holding on to the ball for 2 whole seconds? He's going to get that baby out of his hands before you can blink an eye.
                  People make it out that everything is Murrays fault. I'm thinking he'll look more like a pro-bowler with all the new acquisitions on the d-line. If you get a clean block and hole at the scrimmage line your gone for 5 yard gain no matter what.

:facepalm1:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

People make it out that everything is Murrays fault. I'm thinking he'll look more like a pro-bowler with all the new acquisitions on the d-line. If you get a clean block and hole at the scrimmage line your gone for 5 yard gain no matter what.

:facepalm1:
                    Staley's defense was supposedly simpler for the inside linebackers than Gus's: it allowed the linebackers to move forward & attack without the worry of having to drop back deep into coverage . But then I saw Murray trailing receivers well down the field....what the hell was going on?

I think part of the problem was Staley not clearly fitting together what he wanted with the type of players he had....or worse, not being clear and consistent with the instruction. Listening to the talk (Staley?) about how the Chargers defensive linemen didn't properly employ the techniques they were taught and proper alignments: that is not a positive recommendation for the coaching staff. Joseph/Jones/Covington - these are vets, not green rookies.

And then they switched things up again during the bye. Put yourself in Murray's place under those circumstances.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      BetterToday ThanYesterday
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I really liked Sebastian's presser. He has a lot of personality and positive energy but also seems to understand how serious this is. And he is another player who loves him some Staley. I think Staley is a big draw for current and future FAs

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Maybe i need to go to the Kahlil Mack thread to have riverwalk tell me how Mack is old and Trey Smith is going to turn him into his bitch.
                        No way. I’m a huge fan of Mack and glad he’s aboard. Limp and all.

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Staley's defense was supposedly simpler for the inside linebackers than Gus's: it allowed the linebackers to move forward & attack without the worry of having to drop back deep into coverage . But then I saw Murray trailing receivers well down the field....what the hell was going on?

I think part of the problem was Staley not clearly fitting together what he wanted with the type of players he had....or worse, not being clear and consistent with the instruction. Listening to the talk (Staley?) about how the Chargers defensive linemen didn't properly employ the techniques they were taught and proper alignments: that is not a positive recommendation for the coaching staff. Joseph/Jones/Covington - these are vets, not green rookies.

And then they switched things up again during the bye. Put yourself in Murray's place under those circumstances.
                          We stopped using light boxes at the bye which required more LBs in coverage.

The run fit read is harder in Staley's defense as it uses multiple keys.

Comment

Working...
                          X