Clear All
  • AFboltfan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2018
    • Balboa Park bench
    • Medical Simulation
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

And the Bengals in that AFC you are talking about won 2 games by a field goal, and then lost the SB by a field goal. What does that have to do with ground game production, particularly from your second back? Care to guess how many yards the Bengals RB2 totaled on the ground in the entire playoffs? I’ll give you a hint, Chase outrushed them for the entire playoffs by 30 yards and he totaled 32 yards rushing in the postseason. If you think the may to beat Mahomes, Wilson, Allen, and Watson is through our RB2 then please don’t share what you’re smoking because I don’t think I could handle that high.
    Your argument is very narrow-minded... Do you honestly believe I think a RB2 will be a bulk of our production, you're simply just skewing the discussion for arguments sake at this point. A reliable RB2 takes pressure off Ekeler and the offense as a whole. You know that and I know that... I could honestly give a shit about the Rams and what happened last year.

You don't want a RB2 drafted in the 3rd round... Congratulations, I don't care... I'm done with you.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

Your argument is very narrow-minded... Do you honestly believe I think a RB2 will be a bulk of our production, you're simply just skewing the discussion for arguments sake at this point. A reliable RB2 takes pressure off Ekeler and the offense as a whole. You know that and I know that... I could honestly give a shit about the Rams and what happened last year.

You don't want a RB2 drafted in the 3rd round... Congratulations, I don't care... I'm done with you.
      If we had a legitimate backup (who can stay healthy - looking at you Jackson), we could use Eck in the slot some where he is a matchup nightmare and save some wear and tear on his body.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If we had a legitimate backup (who can stay healthy - looking at you Jackson), we could use Eck in the slot some where he is a matchup nightmare and save some wear and tear on his body.
        The trickle down effect is multiple
        Eke
        Then it opens up Allen
        Makes life easier for whoever our starting RT is
        We absolutely need a true RB2
        Between the tackles type preferably but can threaten the outside too.

Y'all know who my horse is
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

If our RB2 was named Michael Turner, folks might feel differently. Talk about being spoiled rotten.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Some of it depends on whether or not we go for a starter or a backup

Sure, Ekeler is a starting-caliber RB. He did a good job of carrying the load. But some of us (me) would like to see his role switch back to offensive weapon and change of pace RB (RB2) and find a more traditional RB to carry a bigger load in the running game. Again, his best production came when he was used as a change of pace runner and in the slot and outside.

The best free-agent RB is almost without a doubt is Melvin Gordon. The next best is Fournette. Fournette is a better runner and maybe a better receiver than Melvin. Melvin is much better in pass protection but had that little holdout kerfluffle a few years ago and then playing for the enemy thing, so he is not really an option. Fournette is probably not an option, but mabe.

Marlon Mack is a home run hitter type of runner, who is inconsistent and looking to break the big runs, at the expense of some shorter runs and is zero factor in the passing game as a receiver, and a liability in pass protection. And he is hurt a lot.

Mostly, it is probably a position that is best filled via a rookie.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              If our RB2 was named Michael Turner, folks might feel differently. Talk about being spoiled rotten.
              We had LT, Turner and Sproles. Now that was a backfield

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

“Former #Rams and #Seahawks TE Gerald Everett is signing with the #Chargers, per his agents @_SportsTrust. Another weapon for Justin Herbert.”
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I know nobody likes/trusts Justin Jackson... but he's very productive when he's healthy. He would be a fairly cheap FA signing.
                  The RB I like... and would fit nicely in our scheme is Ty Chandler. Outside speed, good receiver... probably get him in the 5th round.
                  SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/Oqg3iEThe ACC Digital Network (theACCDN) is a joint venture between Stadium, and Raycom Sports, a long-time television producer and ...

I'd move on from Gabe Nabors. I'd re-sign Stephen Anderson and use him during the rare occasions we need a FB.

RBs: Eke, JJ, Chandler, Kelly, Roundtree.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Sure, Ekeler is a starting-caliber RB. He did a good job of carrying the load. But some of us (me) would like to see his role switch back to offensive weapon and change of pace RB (RB2) and find a more traditional RB to carry a bigger load in the running game. Again, his best production came when he was used as a change of pace runner and in the slot and outside.

The best free-agent RB is almost without a doubt is Melvin Gordon. The next best is Fournette. Fournette is a better runner and maybe a better receiver than Melvin. Melvin is much better in pass protection but had that little holdout kerfluffle a few years ago and then playing for the enemy thing, so he is not really an option. Fournette is probably not an option, but mabe.

Marlon Mack is a home run hitter type of runner, who is inconsistent and looking to break the big runs, at the expense of some shorter runs and is zero factor in the passing game as a receiver, and a liability in pass protection. And he is hurt a lot.

So many games are decided on the final possession.

A power back, although archaic, for clock management would be very useful.

There will be several to choose from with one of our extra round 6 or 7 picks.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                      Take a back like Hassan Haskins in the 5th and RB will be fine. Lots of depth at WR in this draft, I’m sure TT will grab at least one. OL depth, and who is starting on the right side, is the most pressing concern of the offense though.
                      100% agree.

If we draft a RT (I hope) in the 1st, we'll want a veteran RG next to him (ala last year). I'd rather spend my FA money on IOL (again, like last year) and draft OT.

Comment

• AFboltfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2018
                        • Balboa Park bench
                        • Medical Simulation
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I agree, but I don't think that is a very popular opinion around here.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Austin Ekeler will be making $7 million next year. That's starter money.
                          I'm all for reducing his work-load a bit. I'm not for bringing in a higher priced RB or spending a high pick on a RB.
                          Not when there are so many options (cheaper FA or mid/late round pick).

Comment

Working...
                          X