Clear All
  • AFboltfan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2018
    • Balboa Park bench
    • Medical Simulation
    • Send PM

Are We One Player Away...?

Are we one player away from either going to the Superbowl or a deep playoff run? I say yes, but at what position is debatable, hence the reason for the post. If you agree with me, can we find that person in the first round of the draft? If you think we are still several players away, why?
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

It's a tough question to answer, because there are always so many variables and factors that weigh in during a season. For example, the Rams lost a major piece of their receiving corps when Robert Woods went down, then added Odell Beckham. They also added Von Miller mid-season. Also, luck - particularly with injuries - and the way the ball bounces or how badly an umpire botches a call, or doesn't make a call that should have been made - all of these things play a major role in how far a team goes in the regular season and the playoffs. The Bengals surely seemed more than one player away from a deep post-season run when the Bolts beat them soundly in Cincinnati the first week in December. But in January they started a run and ended up going all the way to the Super Bowl and were in a position to win it. I don't think they were the most talented team in the AFC by a long shot. But they got hot and lucky - they won a bunch of close games in the playoffs. There's just so much to factor in to be successful, I don't know if you can say whether any team is one player away from being good enough.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Usually it’s the injured one.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
        Usually it’s the injured one.
        Typically, teams that make it to the Super Bowl have tremendous good fortune with injuries.

Last year, Cincy & to a lesser extent the Rams. Rams actually were better thru injury: Weddle coming in and solidifying things.
        The year before, Tampa Bay & the Chiefs (whose injury luck ran out in their blow out win against Buffalo in the AFC championship)

The argument is whether they are a player away, barring key injuries (or any injury).
        Depth is still important....you don't want to wear out the starters during the season because your depth is crap.
        Particularly when some starters are getting up there in age: center (Linsley), edge (Mack).

This Charger team is probably the youngest in terms of starters: pretty much all have 28 years or fewer....that's important.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Injuries are key.
          I think our roster on paper today can compete with any other roster today.
          G-Ro knows.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

One player away? Only if everything goes right with the rest of the team.
            A great player always helps and it may work out.
            I have fantasies about a great DT (added to what we have) making us #1 Defense.
            Always good to have in postseason. Squash opponent scoring, TOP.
            Make them frantic to air it out to Mr INT while Mack & Bosa are slapping them down.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

We have had enough talent to win three or four Super Bowls since 2005. The biggest problem (besides ownership), since Marty's firing, has been the coaching. We'll see how Staley does with this current roster.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                The Precious
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                We have had enough talent to win three or four Super Bowls since 2005. The biggest problem (besides ownership), since Marty's firing, has been the coaching. We'll see how Staley does with this current roster.
                Exactly. Let’s win a division title and a playoff game or two (in the same season). Been awhile.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

I've always thought that luck, injuries, and getting hot at the right time - pretty much in that order - is one way to win a SB. Adding more talent certainly wouldn't hurt, particularly if that player has a big impact. But, honestly, I think there certainly is enough talent on this team, right now, to win a SB. Just gotta hope for my Big Three to come true.

Comment

• AFboltfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2018
                    • Balboa Park bench
                    • Medical Simulation
                    • Send PM

This is a really good point, I was very critical of Staley in his first year. His used-car salesman approach to the team rubbed me the wrong way... IMHO we have zero excuse to make the playoffs in regards to coaching. I'm hoping Staley has a much better year and his rookie season forgotten.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kauai
                      • Send PM

The right side of the OL freaks me the hell out right now. And i will never trust Storm or Pipkins. Id prefer a better back up RB to spell Ekeler. The d was badly in need of the players they signed. Im pretty close to happy with the D. MLB play was atrocious last year...but ill just pray Murray can rebound. Hoping his injury was a huge reason why he was so bad...but a lot of it looked so mental to me. Just so confused. Terrible in coverage. You always hear how Staleys D devalues MLB's...but if they are at least off by a little bit and confused the entire D gets jacked. I think thats one of the reasons Reeder is here...he at least has a little grasp of the fit. He doesnt have to be a monster ILB...just play smart. I think these new DTs can really help Murray and the gang at ILB make more plays. I also wish Guyton wasnt sort of a one trick pony...id kill for a player that is a cross between him and Palmer.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Injuries - every damn year - have been far worse. Can win shit with your star playmakers riding pine.

Comment

Working...
                        X