Welcome Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (R1, #17)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

The Athletic’s grade for us:
    17. Los Angeles Chargers: Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College

Johnson (6-foot-3, 312 with 34-inch arms) could eventually emerge as the best offensive lineman from this class. He began his career at Davidson before catching on at Boston College where he started 30 games — 18 at left guard, 12 at left tackle — in three seasons.

Per PFF, Johnson allowed just three sacks on more than 1,000 pass-blocking snaps. He didn’t miss a game in five years, got called for just one penalty last season and has excellent athleticism.

The Chargers’ goal needs to be to protect Justin Herbert at all costs. This pick won’t be a headline-grabber, but it makes plenty of sense.

Grade: B+

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Glad to have such a high floor prospect
      the similarities with Slater is a great sign
      smart and works hard at his craft, I smell our future C

I also think there's a chance Feiler still moves to RT to mentor Zion at RG much the same way he did with Slater
      If this happens, it would make sense to me why tom and staley might not be honest about that before round 3.
      maybe we want teams to think we're targeting a RT when we'reactually not.

P1. Block Destruction
      P2. Shocking Effort
      P3. Ball Disruption
      P4. Obnoxious Communication

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

They may get a vet at RT post draft to compete with Pipkins and Norton in camp. I don’t see them getting another OL tomorrow.
        i agree.... odds are a CB, edge, WR, or stud RB will be taken in 3rd round..... there are still some great players left..... would it be worth jumping back into 2nd to grab Travis Jones, or a RT by trading next years number one (knowing next years number one will be near end of first round)?...

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
          Zion and slater are two of the cleanest 1st round picks I’ve ever seen the chargers make…
          I think Bosa fits that too......

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Yeah. I'm happy we're doing this for Herbert, and I want it for any quarterback we have after him, but it makes me angrier at A.J. Smith and Tom Telesco.

Comment

• cmplxgal
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • New Jersey
              • Send PM

They may get a vet at RT post draft to compete with Pipkins and Norton in camp. I don’t see them getting another OL tomorrow.

I agree. Too many other needs. I think Pipkins may surprise next season--he looked pretty decent towards the end of last season.

I'd love to see a CB in round 3 and a RB or edge rusher in round 4 if there are good value players available. Then start looking for special teamers.

Comment

• Charge!
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

I agree. Too many other needs. I think Pipkins may surprise next season--he looked pretty decent towards the end of last season.

I'd love to see a CB in round 3 and a RB or edge rusher in round 4 if there are good value players available. Then start looking for special teamers.
                Thats how I see it too....

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

W Zion next to them instead of Schofield, they are in a better situation. Plus, they have another yr under their belt. Foster Sarrel is there too. Clapp too
                  Foster Sarre!!

could he (eventually) end up being better than the both of Pips 'n Storm ??

think Sarrell could be a swinger....
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• UglyTruth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Telesco's very first pick as GM was an OL. He drafted plenty of OL high in the Rivers era, they just all didn't work out for one reason or another.
                    The reason it didn’t work out is because he didn’t have Staley along with him telling him who to draft. Think about it every good OL selection (Slater) has been with Staley as HC.

I have confidence in this selection because of Staley’s involvement in it. Telesco has proven he can’t scout OL or DL (except Bosa) without Staley.
                    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• UglyTruth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I didn't get that they were the only options, just that they are the only options right NOW. You can only draft players 1 at a time, so the fact that we haven't drafted an OT YET is all TT is necessarily saying.

That being said, our depth in the secondary is as thin or thinner than the OL right now.
                      Yeah I’m hoping that’s the case.

- 69-74 record
                      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• UglyTruth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2018
                        • Send PM

The Athletic’s grade for us:
                        The durability part may be the best part about him. The very few sacks/low penalties are great too but the best ability is always durability.

- 69-74 record

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Zion Johnson Presser with Coach.
                          dude is not an OC, he is not a RG, he is not a RT.... he can play all 5 positions, but he is a LG.... leavin' too much mojo behind if you don't put Zion next to Rashawn.... just has to happen.

only thing keeping it back is Telesco is still in job insecurity mode, and for some reason he is not @ease without pimpin' Pips for the RT position, so he can told you so on the rest of us.... only problem is that Trey is a swing @best, let alone a starting RT in the NFL.... ain't gonna happen.

Staley knows what's up.... he said we're gonna keep workin' on the Oline, possibly in the next day or two, and after the draft as well.... John Spanos needs to sit young Tom down and get it straight.

and re: intangibles.... much prefer Zion's "calm" presence, rather than Penning's WWF demeanor.... hopefully the Saints are happy w/him and N'awlins is a good place for the Northern Iowan.

also gotta like how Staley reiterated that we are still a LOS team, and that he still prioritizes getting value and trusting the board.... those decisions will yield longterm dividends.

and could be me, being a bit over the top, but if I didn't know any better, does seem like the HC has taken it down a notch, and is showing that he now has a year under his belt as HC.

still think he's in the developmental phase, and wish him luck, as think this might be a rougher year for us than alotta peoples are expecting....
                          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

Working...
                          X