• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

The D played well enough to get us back into the game. They had some good series'. And they did a good job keeping Rodgers in the pocket. I think Pagano deserves some credit for the game plan and for some halftime adjustments.

But man, I keep seeing these underneath throws where the receiver has so many miles of green between them and would-be tacklers that they don't even run full speed so they can set up moves for when they finally do encounter defenders. Meanwhile, five yard markers keep clicking. I get why this is happening, but we need to find a solution. It's simply too easy for teams to move the ball against us. We dominate TOP and yet we're playing all these close games. What does that tell you?

That long Starks run was embarrassing. The shovel passes were embarrassing.

Fucking Flowers is awful right now. I'm hoping this is just injury, but he holds/interferes on nearly every play.

I saw some better things on D, just like I saw with the OL. So cause for hope. But man, that goal line sequence at the end was poorly thought out. That The Sproles(TM) continues to be in the playbook is just astonishing.
    Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 10-19-2015, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
      Cottrell, Rivera, Manusky, Pagano... 4 DCs in 8 years.
      Manuski may be available again...
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
        The D played well enough to get us back into the game. They had some good series'. And they did a good job keeping Rodgers in the pocket. I think Pagano deserves some credit for the game plan and for some halftime adjustments.

But man, I keep seeing these underneath throws where the receiver has so many miles of green between them and would-be tacklers that they don't even run full speed so they can set up moves for when they finally do encounter defenders. Meanwhile, five yard markers keep clicking. I get why this is happening, but we need to find a solution. It's simply too easy for teams to move the ball against us. We dominate TOP and yet we're playing all these close games. What does that tell you?

That long Starks run was embarrassing. The shovel passes were embarrassing.

Fucking Flowers is awful right now. I'm hoping this is just injury, but he holds/interferes on nearly every play.

I saw some better things on D, just like I saw with the OL. So cause for hope. But man, that goal line sequence at the end was poorly thought out. That The Sproles(TM) continues to be in the playbook is just astonishing.
        The underneath throws are not the problem. The problem is the chunk plays we give up. Starks long run was because Ingram decided to try and pursuit to the frontside, even though we had the play stopped for a loss/short gain there. The frontside won the play, but Ingram allowed the TD because he was inside running like hell to get to the ball carrier, ignoring his backside assignment. Peterson's play was a mistake too. Emmanuel did not set the edge, ducked inside to try and stop the inside run, and AP bounced it outside and got his long runs.

We can allow those shortish gains, and it is not a big deal. Sooner or later, even if they can keep it up and we don't make a negative play against them, then they will commit a penalty, and stop themselves. You are worried about 5 yard passes? It takes 16 of them to move the ball if they start at the 20 yard line following a kickoff. And we have less field to cover as we get closer to the goalline. That and fatigue sets in, so they are more likely to commit a penalty or mistake.

Having a defense that dominates every play is nice, and a goal worth aspiring to, but it really has nothing to do with our team right now. The mental mistakes that shorten the field and put points on the board, or like the Steelers did, prevent us from scoring are what are killing us.

Comment

• MakoShark
          Disgruntled
          • Jun 2013
          • North Alabama
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          The underneath throws are not the problem. The problem is the chunk plays we give up. Starks long run was because Ingram decided to try and pursuit to the frontside, even though we had the play stopped for a loss/short gain there. The frontside won the play, but Ingram allowed the TD because he was inside running like hell to get to the ball carrier, ignoring his backside assignment. Peterson's play was a mistake too. Emmanuel did not set the edge, ducked inside to try and stop the inside run, and AP bounced it outside and got his long runs.

We can allow those shortish gains, and it is not a big deal. Sooner or later, even if they can keep it up and we don't make a negative play against them, then they will commit a penalty, and stop themselves. You are worried about 5 yard passes? It takes 16 of them to move the ball if they start at the 20 yard line following a kickoff. And we have less field to cover as we get closer to the goalline. That and fatigue sets in, so they are more likely to commit a penalty or mistake.

Having a defense that dominates every play is nice, and a goal worth aspiring to, but it really has nothing to do with our team right now. The mental mistakes that shorten the field and put points on the board, or like the Steelers did, prevent us from scoring are what are killing us.
          Maybe you just chose the wrong words, but the underneath throws are just as big of a problem as the chunk plays. It was mentioned in the MNF broadcast and for that game it looked like the tightened it up a bit. Go back and look at the Browns game and see how many times they went underneath for good gains. Its been a season long problem because neither MLB'er is picking up the back quick enough. Sometimes it appears they are dropping too deep.
          sigpic

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            The underneath throws are not the problem. The problem is the chunk plays we give up...You are worried about 5 yard passes? It takes 16 of them to move the ball if they start at the 20 yard line following a kickoff.
            Uh, no. I'm talking about underneath throws that become chunk plays. These have been plentiful against Cleveland, Pitt and GB in particular. This last week, Jeff Janis turned a short pass in the left flat into a lumbering 33 yd gain (He averaged 40 YPC on two receptions). John Kuhn (!) had a 19 yard catch and carry. Last week Heath Miller, not a deep threat) had a 25 yarder. 3rd Quarter vs Cleveland, Crowell turned a short pass in the flat into a 53 yd gain. Antonio Brown, who is obviously no slouch turned a short pass into a 39 yd gain. Against Cincy an offensive tackle had a 31 yd reception. The YAC on these longer plays has been substantial. This is big gulfs of green where there aren't any Chargers and it's mental mistakes, poor angles and poor tackling.

I get that these kinds of things are going to happen from time to time (except 31 yd gains by OTs), but this has been a season long issue. There shouldn't be as many of these as there are.
            Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 10-20-2015, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
              Its been a season long problem because neither MLB'er is picking up the back quick enough. Sometimes it appears they are dropping too deep.
              Exactly.

Comment

• KNSD
                Registered Charger Hater
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

None of our "fast LB" can cover a RB out of the backfield. What's the point in having an undersized MLB if he can't cover?
                Prediction:
                Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Watch FOX Sports and view live scores, odds, team news, player news, streams, videos, stats, standings & schedules covering NFL, MLB, NASCAR, WWE, NBA, NHL, college sports & more!
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                  X