Welcome Zander Horvath, FB, Purdue (R7, #260)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

When you watch that highlight film you wonder why he wasn't the very first pick in the draft? LOL
      They sure can make a player look great by being selective on the plays they show.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
        When you watch that highlight film you wonder why he wasn't the very first pick in the draft? LOL
        They sure can make a player look great by being selective on the plays they show.
        This x 1,000. Both Kelley and Rountree looked good based on their college highlight videos. But when you have ten good plays in college, even if you were mediocre or worse most of the time, those ten plays can make you look pretty good.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

This x 1,000. Both Kelley and Rountree looked good based on their college highlight videos. But when you have ten good plays in college, even if you were mediocre or worse most of the time, those ten plays can make you look pretty good.
          You have to have some highlights.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I think that has a lot to do with us fans pre-draft thoughts about these players. We see some highlights and we like the guy. The people in the business see films of every play they are out on the field for. They simply have a lot better picture of what these kids are worth than we do.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• RTPbolt
              Charger Fan till the end
              • Jun 2013
              • North Carolina
              • Send PM

Classic case of physical talent but probably hasnt had great coaching to put him in the good plays most the time category. Hes a developmental guy…nothing wrong with that. He isnt going to be handed the keys yet but will get his time to develop and get a few plays to see how he does.

Do we have Nabors still? Curious if this is a competition at FB or we are banking on The Horv to take on that role immediately?

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                Classic case of physical talent but probably hasnt had great coaching to put him in the good plays most the time category. Hes a developmental guy…nothing wrong with that. He isnt going to be handed the keys yet but will get his time to develop and get a few plays to see how he does.

Do we have Nabors still? Curious if this is a competition at FB or we are banking on The Horv to take on that role immediately?
                We do still have Nabors so there is a “competition”. How much of a true competition that is remains to be seen. Remember Nabors was a healthy scratch from a lot of games last year and lost his role to Stephen Anderson, who the team let walk in FA. I definitely think it’s Horvath’s job to lose but am interested to see how the team plans to use him. I really don’t want us wasting roster spots on 4 TEs and a constantly inactive FB again.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

We do still have Nabors so there is a “competition”. How much of a true competition that is remains to be seen. Remember Nabors was a healthy scratch from a lot of games last year and lost his role to Stephen Anderson, who the team let walk in FA. I definitely think it’s Horvath’s job to lose but am interested to see how the team plans to use him. I really don’t want us wasting roster spots on 4 TEs and a constantly inactive FB again.
                  Roster spots are hard to come by. We need the best possible depth and need is hard to anticipate.
                  There are a lot of judgement calls.
                  25 offense, 3 QB, 4 RB / FB, 6 WR, 4 TE, 8 OL ?
                  Clearly we can juggle- BUT -TC & PS is needed. Stuff happens, some good stuff hopefully.
                  There is some cross position value, receiving, blocking, special teams with RB/FB, TE, WR.
                  I'm not happy with 3 QBs.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Roster spots are hard to come by. We need the best possible depth and need is hard to anticipate.
                    There are a lot of judgement calls.
                    25 offense, 3 QB, 4 RB / FB, 6 WR, 4 TE, 8 OL ?
                    Clearly we can juggle- BUT -TC & PS is needed. Stuff happens, some good stuff hopefully.
                    There is some cross position value, receiving, blocking, special teams with RB/FB, TE, WR.
                    I'm not happy with 3 QBs.
                    Daniels can go. If we don't have Herbert we're not going to do much anyway.

One of my favorite football quotes came from Bruce Arians when he was an Indianapolis Colt's coach a while back - when asked by a sportswriter why Peyton Manning took all the QB snaps in practice, he said; 'If he's not on the field we're not going to win, and we don't practice losing'.

At the moment we have a very weak set of backup QB's - Herbie better stay heathy or this team won't be going anywhere. If we have to keep Chase :dunno: we should just carry 2 QB's (Herbert and (gulp) Daniels, and relegate Stick to the practice squad, I doubt anyone's going to poach him. My real preference would be to have a reasonably competent backup QB to replace Daniels, but there's no way I'd burn a roster spot to carry 3 QB's.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Daniels can go. If we don't have Herbert we're not going to do much anyway.

One of my favorite football quotes came from Bruce Arians when he was an Indianapolis Colt's coach a while back - when asked by a sportswriter why Peyton Manning took all the QB snaps in practice, he said; 'If he's not on the field we're not going to win, and we don't practice losing'.

At the moment we have a very weak set of backup QB's - Herbie better stay heathy or this team won't be going anywhere. If we have to keep Chase :dunno: we should just carry 2 QB's (Herbert and (gulp) Daniels, and relegate Stick to the practice squad, I doubt anyone's going to poach him. My real preference would be to have a reasonably competent backup QB to replace Daniels, but there's no way I'd burn a roster spot to carry 3 QB's.
                      Gotta keep 3 QBs in case one gets Covid and is inactive. We need two healthy guys on game days.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Pretty sure James can QB in a pinch..

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Gotta keep 3 QBs in case one gets Covid and is inactive. We need two healthy guys on game days.
                          Damn - forgot about that . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X