Welcome Zander Horvath, FB, Purdue (R7, #260)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Is Horvath better than Spiller? Get him some holes and get him into the secondary where he can hurt people. Stay tuned. I’m really excited by his potential.
    I feel like his potential as a runner is boom or bust. He’s not Mike Alstott, but he’s no slouch either. Probably a better athlete, so the ceiling is high.

Here’s the most-likely plan of action:

First, he needs to do some things on ST.

Then prove effective in short yardage situations.

Then Lombardi should work in a few plays that feature him. H-back and/or FB roles. He’s got nice hands, so that’s something to consider.

THEN we’ll see if he’s rotation-worthy as a RB.

I believe the path is doable.

If he turns out to be the power back we’ve all been clamoring for, then fuck-ya.
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I feel like his potential as a runner is boom or bust. He’s not Mike Alstott, but he’s no slouch either. Probably a better athlete, so the ceiling is high.

Here’s the most-likely plan of action:

First, he needs to do some things on ST.

Then prove effective in short yardage situations.

Then Lombardi should work in a few plays that feature him. H-back and/or FB roles. He’s got nice hands, so that’s something to consider.

THEN we’ll see if he’s rotation-worthy as a RB.

I believe the path is doable.

If he turns out to be the power back we’ve all been clamoring for, then fuck-ya.
      Or he can dazzle us running the rock in exhibition games. Make us pay attention to him. We shall see.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Or he can dazzle us running the rock in exhibition games. Make us pay attention to him. We shall see.
        That would be awesome too. Ya gotta wonder how much the broken leg set him back last year. Would he have been a 4-5 rounder if he’d stayed healthy?
        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

That would be awesome too. Ya gotta wonder how much the broken leg set him back last year. Would he have been a 4-5 rounder if he’d stayed healthy?
          His rookie season, I want ZH to become a core special teamer and get reps in goal-line sub-packages. As far as special teams, I was rewatching the one of the Chargers' games and the Chargers had a punt blocked. I rewatched the coach's tape and the RG was Drue Tranquil and the RT was Chris Rumph. Both gave up on their blocks way too soon, as their priority was getting downfield in coverage.

I think Coach Staley gets the S.T. right in camp this year, unlike last.

Quick story: I was at Vikings camp in '98 and I was watching rookie Randy Moss return punts. Just howls of laughter from the team as Randy just ran right through their coverage units and took it to the house. He hadn't even played a game yet, you just felt a change had come. It was electric.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

His rookie season, I want ZH to become a core special teamer and get reps in goal-line sub-packages. As far as special teams, I was rewatching the one of the Chargers' games and the Chargers had a punt blocked. I rewatched the coach's tape and the RG was Drue Tranquil and the RT was Chris Rumph. Both gave up on their blocks way too soon, as their priority was getting downfield in coverage.

I think Coach Staley gets the S.T. right in camp this year, unlike last.

Quick story: I was at Vikings camp in '98 and I was watching rookie Randy Moss return punts. Just howls of laughter from the team as Randy just ran right through their coverage units and took it to the house. He hadn't even played a game yet, you just felt a change had come. It was electric.
            This is why we need big ILB. As OGs on special teams. I’m not a fan of it because defenses can bull rush up the middle easily.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

This is why we need big ILB. As OGs on special teams. I’m not a fan of it because defenses can bull rush up the middle easily.
              I think you're underrating the Kyle Van Noy and Troy Reeder additions, brother. High energy gang tacklers who are fucking smart, and don't take bad angles or false steps.

Between Jerry Tillery, Ken Murray II, Alohi Gilman, & Michael Davis last season, their energy, their intensity, their tackling, gang-tackling, and compression tackles were collectively for the season, a detriment and replacements for everyone but Vato is currently on the team, IMO.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I think you're underrating the Kyle Van Noy and Troy Reeder additions, brother. High energy gang tacklers who are fucking smart, and don't take bad angles or false steps.

Between Jerry Tillery, Ken Murray II, Alohi Gilman, & Michael Davis last season, their energy, their intensity, their tackling, gang-tackling, and compression tackles were collectively for the season, a detriment and replacements for everyone but Vato is currently on the team, IMO.
                Um, two CBs drafted? Vato damn well better be looking over his shoulder.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

He is, but in plain sight are his millions of dollars guaranteed.
                  G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Late round CBs. Vato is keeping his job this year because of his contract and because we’re a better team currently if he’s playing. Our pass defense went to hell when he or ASJ were injured and miss time.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Late round CBs. Vato is keeping his job this year because of his contract and because we’re a better team currently if he’s playing. Our pass defense went to hell when he or ASJ were injured and miss time.
                      DB depth was an issue in '21.
                      20 collective games were missed by starters Davis (4), Harris (4), Samuel (6), Adderley (3), James (3).
                      The depth was a significant drop off.

They are looking for more speed on STs also.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Davis can play very well. He just does not do it consistently. At some point either he does it consistently or the team moves on. Frustrating, because their are entire games when he is near lock down. And then there are other games or plays in games that he just looks lost.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                          Davis can play very well. He just does not do it consistently. At some point either he does it consistently or the team moves on. Frustrating, because their are entire games when he is near lock down. And then there are other games or plays in games that he just looks lost.

TG
                          He’s a CB2 at best. Maybe having more secondary depth will help him be more consistent. As well as another year under Staley.

Comment

Working...
                          X