Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Cook had the most drops or second to Keenan with much less targets and was running wrong routes which led to 2 INTs for Herbert, on a pic 6 so those 2 things....the drops and hopefully running the right routes should be an improvement from Everett. Cook was putting in little effort on those 2 routes like he thought the ball was absolutely not coming his way.
    I think it was an even bigger issue. Cook was maybe not a go-to guy early, but he certainly got open and made a lot of big catches early. Then he started slowing down, and the drops followed, but Herbert stopped having confidence in him. TE is one of the key positions in an offense because base coverages usually have a LB covering them. There are a lot of mismatches there, or if you have an elite guy like Kelce, then the D has to change the structure to account for them.

Right now, we just don't have that. Everrett is a much better version of a guy like Virgil Green. He can get open and be somewhat productive, but only if you run play-action/bootlegs. You can't ask him to go out and split him out like a WR, and then expect he is going to get open like Gates or Kelce did/do. Everett can challenge a D a little bit, but if a guy is going to add a missing piece it is going to have to be McKitty or Parham learning to run routes and winning Herbert's confidence.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I think it was an even bigger issue. Cook was maybe not a go-to guy early, but he certainly got open and made a lot of big catches early. Then he started slowing down, and the drops followed, but Herbert stopped having confidence in him. TE is one of the key positions in an offense because base coverages usually have a LB covering them. There are a lot of mismatches there, or if you have an elite guy like Kelce, then the D has to change the structure to account for them.

Right now, we just don't have that. Everrett is a much better version of a guy like Virgil Green. He can get open and be somewhat productive, but only if you run play-action/bootlegs. You can't ask him to go out and split him out like a WR, and then expect he is going to get open like Gates or Kelce did/do. Everett can challenge a D a little bit, but if a guy is going to add a missing piece it is going to have to be McKitty or Parham learning to run routes and winning Herbert's confidence.
      Not only did Cook start dropping more, he seemed to stop running energetic and precise routes, he seemed to just mail it in the last third of season. I recall a couple INTs that replay seemed to show him not running his expected route or paying attention to anything at all. I don’t know for sure, but if the bet is whether herbie was completely wrong or cook - I know where I’m putting my $.

Parham is the downfield weapon, McKitty is the inline bruiser that a defense cannot completely ignore.

I would not be surprised to see Everett has a lot more in him though. SEA never utilizes TEs well as offensive weapons, for whatever reason. First they are the most committed to run team in the league. Second - well, beats me - they just haven’t. Even when they brought in that start TE (forget who), he just disappeared in the SEA offense.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Cook 48 rec- 564 yds- 11.8 avg- 4 td- 43 lng
        Everett 48 --478--------10.0--------4-------41

They're production was pretty close - on different teams.
        Cook is declining, Everett, McKitty, Parham appear to be ascending

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Not only did Cook start dropping more, he seemed to stop running energetic and precise routes, he seemed to just mail it in the last third of season. I recall a couple INTs that replay seemed to show him not running his expected route or paying attention to anything at all. I don’t know for sure, but if the bet is whether herbie was completely wrong or cook - I know where I’m putting my $.

Parham is the downfield weapon, McKitty is the inline bruiser that a defense cannot completely ignore.

I would not be surprised to see Everett has a lot more in him though. SEA never utilizes TEs well as offensive weapons, for whatever reason. First they are the most committed to run team in the league. Second - well, beats me - they just haven’t. Even when they brought in that start TE (forget who), he just disappeared in the SEA offense.
          Jimmy Graham from Saints.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

I posted an analytics tweet a month ago or so that had Guyton bottom 3 in the NFL in breaking the press last year. It was like 15%. It's a significant reason why we struggled vs BAL and NE.
            And a significant lack of needed ability that puts Palmer above him, depthwise. Hey, I’d love for Guyton to be all that, he isn’t and doesn’t look to be. The WRs in the league his size who excel can get off the line like magic. He disappears.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Palmer gets open faster, he has more Slayer in him than Guyton. As you note - as coaches noted - Last year as the season wore on, Palmer was ascending at Guyton’s expense. I expect that to continue. Neither of them will be ever be called Bambi so its a guess either way. And until Slayer or Dub get hurt, neither will be THAT important.

I’m happy with our WR group but I think some of the “wonderful problem of riches” talk around here is overstated. Lots of teams have Palmers and Guytons. Someone posted AFCW best position groups the other day - that ranker put our WR group #2 in AFCW. Maybe we are 2, maybe 1, but we don’t have the greatest WR group in football history. So yeah, a bit overstated in these parts. Jmo. Still, this is a position group I am confident in … lets roll.
              I’m not as comfortable, but that’s cuz I worry about injuries so much. Hey, I’m a Chargers fan. And to be fair no team has 4 legit starting quality WRs, heh. Have hopes for Everett being all that and two bags of chips, also Spiller. Those two could make a big difference in how our O functions, if Slayer and MWill end up with 700-800 yards each (missing very minimal time..), but we have a couple more Ws at season’s end, it’ll be cuz of those two newbies (even without improved D).

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Jimmy Graham from Saints.
                Yup - thank you.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Keenan Allen and Mike Williams named best WR duo in the league. https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news...top-wr-duo-nfl

The Chargers' super-sized pass-catchers make life easy for quarterback Justin Herbert with their ability to win 50-50 balls down the field. Allen (6-2, 211) and Williams (6-4, 218) excel at coming down with contested catches, but there is so much more to each of their games. As a crafty route-runner with an array of street-ball moves at the line of scrimmage, the 30-year-old Allen is nearly impossible to defend in a one-on-one match-up in the slot or out wide, as evidenced by his four 100-catch seasons in the past five years. The five-time Pro Bowl selectee is a high-end chain-mover with a knack for making the big play in the clutch. Not to be outdone, Williams delivers splash plays on the perimeter as an extra-large vertical threat. The 27-year-old has averaged over 16 yards per catch throughout his career, with 26 career touchdowns in five seasons. Given the challenge this tandem poses to defenses on the perimeter, they are an easy choice as the No. 1 duo in the league.
                  This is why I keep saying the Chargers have the deepest WR corps in the league. It starts with Keenan and Mike, who had the 12th and 13th most yardage of all receivers last season - no other team had two receivers (WR/RB/TE) finish that high. Then you go down the depth chart and there is Josh Palmer, who I, like many here, believe is going to take a big leap forward this season. He looked like he was ready to be a big time NFL WR in the 2nd half of last season. The Chargers have a unique situation with Ekeler - an RB who racks up more receiving yards and scores more receiving TDs than some teams No. 1 WR. Ekeler was 25th in receiving yards last season, leading all RBs. So when you evaluate the Chargers WRs, you have to factor in Ekeler, who was 3rd, ahead of Palmer, for the Bolts last season. Then you look further down the WR depth chart and there are Jalen Guyton and DeAndre Carter. No other 4-5 WR in the league makes the kind of plays that Guyton does. Guyton also started to come into his own in the 2nd half of last season, and all I've read about Guyton out of OTAs and minicamp is that he looks really good. The last guy on the depth chart - Carter - was Washington's 2nd best WR last season, catching passes from Taylor Heinicke.

Let's break it down this way (and exclude Ekeler from the depth chart):

Keenan Allen and Mike Williams - best 1-2 WR duo in the league
                  Josh Palmer and Jalen Guyton - best 3-4 WR duo in the league (If you think there's a better 3-4 WR duo, please name them.)
                  DeAndre Carter - best No. 5 WR in the league

There are some spectacular WRs in the NFL today who are better than our top WRs, but no team has the quality of depth at the WR position than the Chargers. The fact that Herbert led the AFC in passing yardage last season helps prove my point. And it is the reason Staley/Telesco didn't draft a WR in a draft with great WR depth.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    Keenan Allen and Mike Williams named best WR duo in the league. https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news...top-wr-duo-nfl

This is why I keep saying the Chargers have the deepest WR corps in the league. It starts with Keenan and Mike, who had the 12th and 13th most yardage of all receivers last season - no other team had two receivers (WR/RB/TE) finish that high. Then you go down the depth chart and there is Josh Palmer, who I, like many here, believe is going to take a big leap forward this season. He looked like he was ready to be a big time NFL WR in the 2nd half of last season. The Chargers have a unique situation with Ekeler - an RB who racks up more receiving yards and scores more receiving TDs than some teams No. 1 WR. Ekeler was 25th in receiving yards last season, leading all RBs. So when you evaluate the Chargers WRs, you have to factor in Ekeler, who was 3rd, ahead of Palmer, for the Bolts last season. Then you look further down the WR depth chart and there are Jalen Guyton and DeAndre Carter. No other 4-5 WR in the league makes the kind of plays that Guyton does. Guyton also started to come into his own in the 2nd half of last season, and all I've read about Guyton out of OTAs and minicamp is that he looks really good. The last guy on the depth chart - Carter - was Washington's 2nd best WR last season, catching passes from Taylor Heinicke.

Let's break it down this way (and exclude Ekeler from the depth chart):

Keenan Allen and Mike Williams - best 1-2 WR duo in the league
                    Josh Palmer and Jalen Guyton - best 3-4 WR duo in the league (If you think there's a better 3-4 WR duo, please name them.)
                    DeAndre Carter - best No. 5 WR in the league

There are some spectacular WRs in the NFL today who are better than our top WRs, but no team has the quality of depth at the WR position than the Chargers. The fact that Herbert led the AFC in passing yardage last season helps prove my point. And it is the reason Staley/Telesco didn't draft a WR in a draft with great WR depth.
                    I've done that.
                    I named Pittsburgh WRs ,TE and RB and I named 7 other teams, though one of them may not qualify but I mentioned as in the running. To agaun name another, there is no way our recieving corps is better than Tampa Bay's even without Gronk.

You can look up the players but it's clear your not familiar with them anyways to say we have the deepest corps.....because, we don't.

MW and Keenan imo are somewhere in the top 5, maybe top 3 and I've seen them as low as top 10 and so one article sees them as #1.
                    But after that we aren't that strong as other teams. Our TE doesn't even register on a list. Again as a whole we may be top 10, maybe top 7 but that's it imo.

And sorry, DeAndre Carter as a WR is JAG.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 07-05-2022, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Keenan Allen and Mike Williams named best WR duo in the league. [URL="https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-keenan-allen-mike-williams-top-wr-duo-nfl"]https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news...top-wr-duo-nfl[/Velo]

Nope, the good ones were gone. And Guyton has a ways to go. Really, our receivers break down:

Slay

MWill

Ekeler

Likely Everett

Palmer

Likely Spiller

Guyton

So yeah, we may end up with a top 4 receivers group, but Guyton won’t be on that list.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

If you count "receivers" as guys who catch the ball a lot regardless of position letters, answer me this.
                        How did Herbert throw for the most yards in the AFC, 2nd most completions in AFC with less than top receiver depth?
                        True, MW & KA are the best receiver duo in the AFC but they caught less than half of our receptions.

Tampa Bay was the only team with more receptions and receiving yards.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Nope, the good ones were gone. And Guyton has a ways to go. Really, our receivers break down:

Slay

MWill

Ekeler

Likely Everett

Palmer

Likely Spiller

Guyton

So yeah, we may end up with a top 4 receivers group, but Guyton won’t be on that list.
                          Pretty sure he'll be on the roster and have rec'pt numbers. Just not in the 50+, near 500 yd area. #4, #5 WRs don't get those numbers

Comment

Working...
                          X