• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • electricgold
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

If you think Staley isn’t making the calls as well, then I got some beachfront property in Montana I think you’ll love to buy lol.
    I get the excitement ect. but before you start crowning Staley the 2nd coming of Belichick or Jimmy Johnson let the guy prove he could get a team into the playoffs, and win a playoff game.
    Staley talks a good game but he's not making the picks here! Staley has proven nothing yet and alot of people in the NFL believe the guy hasn't come close to earning his stripes! Its not like he was the DC of the Rams last season who won the bowl! He was the DC the year prior and his D got smoked! I'm not saying Staley can't become this sort of coach, but please the Chargers haven't made the playoffs for years and IF you don't believe his coaching style cost the Chargers at the very least 1 or 2 games you were not really watching the games, and they missed the PO's by 1 game as well.... When your weakest link right now is RT and you do zero to try and improve it you have to start questioning what the heck is going on, especially if we don't make the PO's this year with this sort of QB!

Staley strongly believes its about relationships ETC. and I know its a different sport but the great Phil Jackson believes its not about relationships!

Phil Jackson

@PhilJackson11
    It's not about bonding and being friends, it's about joining in the effort of playing HARD on every effort. #respect

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

I get the excitement ect. but before you start crowning Staley the 2nd coming of Belichick or Jimmy Johnson let the guy prove he could get a team into the playoffs, and win a playoff game.
      Staley talks a good game but he's not making the picks here! Staley has proven nothing yet and alot of people in the NFL believe the guy hasn't come close to earning his stripes! Its not like he was the DC of the Rams last season who won the bowl! He was the DC the year prior and his D got smoked! I'm not saying Staley can't become this sort of coach, but please the Chargers haven't made the playoffs for years and IF you don't believe his coaching style cost the Chargers at the very least 1 or 2 games you were not really watching the games, and they missed the PO's by 1 game as well.... When your weakest link right now is RT and you do zero to try and improve it you have to start questioning what the heck is going on, especially if we don't make the PO's this year with this sort of QB!

Staley strongly believes its about relationships ETC. and I know its a different sport but the great Phil Jackson believes its not about relationships!

Phil Jackson

@PhilJackson11
      It's not about bonding and being friends, it's about joining in the effort of playing HARD on every effort. #respect
      What are you rambling on about? I never crowned Staley as the next Belichick or Johnson. I’m just stating the obvious which is that Staley is making the calls also, and that it’s not just Telesco. It’s why you see the aggressiveness this offseason especially for Staley’s guys. Obviously they both felt that an IOL was more important than a OT.

Comment

• electricgold
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Send PM

What are you rambling on about? I never crowned Staley as the next Belichick or Johnson. I’m just stating the obvious which is that Staley is making the calls also, and that it’s not just Telesco. It’s why you see the aggressiveness this offseason especially for Staley’s guys. Obviously they both felt that an IOL was more important than a OT.
        Nope I don't agree you see the aggressiveness because if the Chargers have another non playoff season TT gets fired and probably so does Staley! I hope as much as everyone else the Chargers have turned the corner and go deep into the playoffs but lets be real IF we get the same results as last season I will be the first person screaming to fire TT and Staley and bring in Jim Harbaugh! And please don't ask me what I am rambling on about, you are the only one who has been rambling in regards to this with your myopic views on the role of a 2nd year HC who's done nothing and what a GM does. I'm trying to respond to you intelligently but its getting tough.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Nope I don't agree you see the aggressiveness because if the Chargers have another non playoff season TT gets fired and probably so does Staley! I hope as much as everyone else the Chargers have turned the corner and go deep into the playoffs but lets be real IF we get the same results as last season I will be the first person screaming to fire TT and Staley and bring in Jim Harbaugh! And please don't ask me what I am rambling on about, you are the only one who has been rambling in regards to this with your myopic views on the role of a 2nd year HC who's done nothing and what a GM does. I'm trying to respond to you intelligently but its getting tough.
          Take it to Vegas, bet that TT & Staley will get fired in the coming offseason. You're gonna be rich!!

Comment

• electricgold
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Take it to Vegas, bet that TT & Staley will get fired in the coming offseason. You're gonna be rich!!
            I won't take that bet, I think they have a good shot at making the playoffs. But I've seen these guys that use analytics while carrying the secret in their back pocket come into the game with this vibe that they know better than anyone else. The Dodgers once had a GM that was like this and he got fired shortly into his career. 2 losing seasons off the bat means Staley was not the guy for the job. Make the playoffs and we finally have roses & sunshine with the Chargers.

Yes coaches have say on what they need and the sort of players they like but to think Staley walked up to TT and said draft Zion he's the player we need and TT says OK sure thing I was thinking maybe this guy is better but since this is the guy you like I'll pick him, is a joke. Will this same poster say Anthony Lynn had his finger prints all over TT selecting Herbert as well?

He's basically saying the reason we had a great draft was because of Staley's input in spite of TT! He couldn't even grasp that coaches like BB, Jon Gruden, Jimmy Johnson etc. in fact are the sort of HC's that make the picks and have their finger prints on the picks, but this coach Staley is not quite there yet.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Except you’re not saying anything intelligent at all. You’re going off tangents that has nothing to do with the topic at hand and confusing a lot of things. You don’t see the aggressiveness this offseason? When was the last time Telesco has traded a high pick for a player? When have we pursued so many FAs especially ones young and in their prime? The answer is zero. The reason is because of Staley. To deny this fact is just being willfully blind. Some HCs are happy just coaching and letting the GM handle the personnel things. It’s obvious from the beginning that Staley wasn’t one of those coaches. You saw a little bit of it last offseason. This year, however, is where you really see him being more involved in decision making given all the personnel changes everyone has witnessed this offseason.

And here’s the thing that you also seemed to be confused about. Aggressiveness does not equal success. I think everyone on this board knows that. We’ve all seen it blow up in the past like 2003 and 2012. But we’re all mostly optimistic and hope that it’ll be different since the roster turnover has addressed almost all the major areas of concerns. Plus optically it shows that the FO and coaching staff are not okay with the status quo and want to try to be better.

So no, the only one who is rambling and has a myopic view is you and you alone!

Comment

• nomad1946
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2017
                • West Yellowstone, Montana
                • Retired
                • Send PM

If you think Staley isn’t making the calls as well, then I got some beachfront property in Montana I think you’ll love to buy lol.
                You leave my beach alone. :what:

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

I won't take that bet, I think they have a good shot at making the playoffs. But I've seen these guys that use analytics while carrying the secret in their back pocket come into the game with this vibe that they know better than anyone else. The Dodgers once had a GM that was like this and he got fired shortly into his career. 2 losing seasons off the bat means Staley was not the guy for the job. Make the playoffs and we finally have roses & sunshine with the Chargers.

Yes coaches have say on what they need and the sort of players they like but to think Staley walked up to TT and said draft Zion he's the player we need and TT says OK sure thing I was thinking maybe this guy is better but since this is the guy you like I'll pick him, is a joke. Will this same poster say Anthony Lynn had his finger prints all over TT selecting Herbert as well?

He's basically saying the reason we had a great draft was because of Staley's input in spite of TT! He couldn't even grasp that coaches like BB, Jon Gruden, Jimmy Johnson etc. in fact are the sort of HC's that make the picks and have their finger prints on the picks, but this coach Staley is not quite there yet.
                  The last paragraph sums up your lack of understanding. You don’t need to be BB, Gruden, etc. to have your hands in the picks or in FA. BB is an interesting case since he’s also the GM. Albeit an awful one. That’s not what most HC are in the NFL. You don’t need to be in control of everything to have your fingerprints on something. There’s a collaborative relationship between a GM and HC. That’s what most normal health business relationships should be in the NFL. It would be utterly stupid if Telesco didn’t take Staley’s opinion on who or what he wanted. Saying that you think that Staley isn’t quite there yet doesn’t change the fact that it’s happening. To deny that after everything that we’ve seen this offseason is having blinders on.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

JC Jackson, Mack, SJD, Reeder, Callahan, and Fox are obvious Staley-influenced off-season moves.
                    The JT Woods draft decision... obvious, as well.

The fact that the Chargers finished above-.500 (using Gusly's personnel) is a testament to Staley.
                    There is no more GM/HC anxiety in Chargers' football. Everybody's on the same page. This will work.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                      Pretty much retired......
                      • Sep 2018
                      • JoJa
                      • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by nomad1946 View Post

You leave my beach alone. :what:
                      My beach.....my chicks......my waves.......GET LOST!!!!

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                        JC Jackson, Mack, SJD, Reeder, Callahan, and Fox are obvious Staley-influenced off-season moves.
                        The JT Woods draft decision... obvious, as well.

The fact that the Chargers finished above-.500 (using Gusly's personnel) is a testament to Staley.
                        There is no more GM/HC anxiety in Chargers' football. Everybody's on the same page. This will work.
                        People aren't taking into account that the 2021 schedule was way harder than the 2020 schedule. A significant amount of a teams chance to make the playoffs is explained by schedule difficulty.

In 2020 we went 7-9 against the 29th hardest schedule in the league. 6-9 if you exclude the Chiefs game vs backups. What should have been the hardest game was actually one of the easiest.

This affected expectations.

Comment

• nomad1946
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2017
                          • West Yellowstone, Montana
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

My beach.....my chicks......my waves.......GET LOST!!!!
                          You stay off my beach here in Montana.

Comment

Working...
                          X