• La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by nomad1946 View Post

You stay off my beach here in Montana.
    We could long board in boat wake..........

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

My beach.....my chicks......my waves.......GET LOST!!!!
      Epic! Too bad people did not heed that warning...

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

We could long board in boat wake..........
        Surfers like Marc Hoeksema of Muskegon ride the waves in Grand Haven, Michigan on Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020. (MLive | Neil Blake)

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
          JC Jackson, Mack, SJD, Reeder, Callahan, and Fox are obvious Staley-influenced off-season moves.
          The JT Woods draft decision... obvious, as well.

The fact that the Chargers finished above-.500 (using Gusly's personnel) is a testament to Staley.
          There is no more GM/HC anxiety in Chargers' football. Everybody's on the same page. This will work.
          PLAYOFFS or bust!

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

There's some talk here about Aboushi and maybe his return. Just speculation but an interesting thought nonetheless. OL is near the end.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Except you’re not saying anything intelligent at all. You’re going off tangents that has nothing to do with the topic at hand and confusing a lot of things. You don’t see the aggressiveness this offseason? When was the last time Telesco has traded a high pick for a player? When have we pursued so many FAs especially ones young and in their prime? The answer is zero. The reason is because of Staley. To deny this fact is just being willfully blind. Some HCs are happy just coaching and letting the GM handle the personnel things. It’s obvious from the beginning that Staley wasn’t one of those coaches. You saw a little bit of it last offseason. This year, however, is where you really see him being more involved in decision making given all the personnel changes everyone has witnessed this offseason.

And here’s the thing that you also seemed to be confused about. Aggressiveness does not equal success. I think everyone on this board knows that. We’ve all seen it blow up in the past like 2003 and 2012. But we’re all mostly optimistic and hope that it’ll be different since the roster turnover has addressed almost all the major areas of concerns. Plus optically it shows that the FO and coaching staff are not okay with the status quo and want to try to be better.

So no, the only one who is rambling and has a myopic view is you and you alone!

It's obvious that Brandon Staley has a MAJOR say in what players have been brought in as FA's and drafted, both through his rep as a players coach, and his actual input. TT has his part to play as well - I doubt that it's just one single hand on the tiller - that would be stupid, but it's startling (and very encouraging) how different this team has approached the last couple of years - on and off the field. Serious aggressiveness in both areas.

I believe (with absolutely no proof whatsoever :chuckle that Staley thought he was playing with house money last year. He KNEW the defense was going to be bad (probably not quite as epically bad as it turned out to be), because he's not stupid and he knows what's needed to be successful and the players just weren't there (hence the massive changes THIS year). Management made a conscious decision to use what resources they had to upgrade the offense (2021) and then the defense (2022). So in 2021 Staley knew (and the rest of the organization knew) that they would be hard pressed to make the playoffs, that they would need to pull out all the stops to steal a few wins here and there to hopefully get close. IMO this thought process was the genesis of some of the (overly) aggressive calls Staley made on the field - he knew he had the backing and understanding of Ownership that this was a multi year fix - I'd be willing to bet that, before the 2021 season began, he told the powers that be 'we are going to suck on defense', and 'this is going to hold us back no matter what black magic / voodoo coach shit I can perform'. Now that we have a real defense I very much doubt that we'll see him make the extreme (borderline crazy) 'go for it' decisions this year that he made last year. I predict we'll see him go for it a lot, but only in more realistic settings (4th and 5 / under) and also settle for field goals more rather than chance a 4th down failure and no points. After all - with a defense that can stop the other team and get the ball back his analytics will not allow those extreme risks.

The real parallel I see between Staley and Belichick is not necessarily how they coach or they systems they employ, but the level of belief that they have in THIER abilities, THEIR decisions. It's beyond arrogance, but if it works it's genius. Staley will sink or swim (as will the team) on those decisions, but at least, for the first time since Bobby Ross, we have a coach with BALLS (for better or worse)!!

I for one am all in!! I love the change!!

Staley took a ton of grief last year for his decisions - and he took it quietly and well, but I bet he's burning inside to show everyone that they were wrong and he was right, and that's Bill Belichick to a T!!!

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

BB may be the GOAT. Staley is a young gun. The similarity I see, beyond the fact that both are brilliant, is the desire to not fail to consider everything that can impact his team and have a plan for it.
                Go Brandon!

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Former Chargers right guard Oday Aboushi signaled he won't be back with team, taking to Twitter and thanking fans for their support over the last year.

Aboushi, who currently remains a free agent, signed a one-year, $1.6 million contract last offseason in which he went on to make five starts until a torn ACL in the Week 5 game against the Browns sidelined him for the remainder of the year.
                  "Bolt fam, I appreciate y’all. The love, support and well wishes mean a lot. Just know I did everything asked/possible to be back, unfortunately I could only control so much. Grateful for y’all and my time in the powder blues," Aboushi wrote via his official Twitter account.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                    BB may be the GOAT. Staley is a young gun. The similarity I see, beyond the fact that both are brilliant, is the desire to not fail to consider everything that can impact his team and have a plan for it.
                    Go Brandon!
                    BB also got fired as a HC and had to grow into being the GOAT HC.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
                      Now that we have a real defense I very much doubt that we'll see him make the extreme (borderline crazy) 'go for it' decisions this year that he made last year. I predict we'll see him go for it a lot, but only in more realistic settings (4th and 5 / under) and also settle for field goals more rather than chance a 4th down failure and no points.
                      Good point. Also, since we now have much better personnel, and personnel that fits Staley's system, I think we will have a higher percentage of those 4th down "go for it" decisions work out. But...I sure hope we don't see a repeat of the 4th round "go for it" in our own territory...that was just too much of a gamble...

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                        Former Chargers right guard Oday Aboushi signaled he won't be back with team, taking to Twitter and thanking fans for their support over the last year.

Aboushi, who currently remains a free agent, signed a one-year, $1.6 million contract last offseason in which he went on to make five starts until a torn ACL in the Week 5 game against the Browns sidelined him for the remainder of the year.
                        "Bolt fam, I appreciate y’all. The love, support and well wishes mean a lot. Just know I did everything asked/possible to be back, unfortunately I could only control so much. Grateful for y’all and my time in the powder blues," Aboushi wrote via his official Twitter account.
                        I don't think any team is going to sign him until the season starts. After the season starts the rules for compensation are different. No? I don't think he's fully recovered and might not until mid season.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Storm Norton is staying on his feet during OTAs. He is mirroring Mack, delightfully so. No penalties have been called.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X