• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

Staley talked about being able to move Feiler to RT before the draft. Could be liar's month stuff, but it was mentioned.

Put the 5 best on the field. Let TC and PS show who that is.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Could see Feiler start opening game vs Crosby but not sure he or Max come out of it unscathed. Is it worth the risk?

yeah probably

make statement

no more Mr. Nice guy

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

anyone have a link to his medical concerns.... didn't follow along, but thought someone mentioned he was the dry humper.... isn't that why he fell (out of favor) ??
        My source is Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan, during their recent 32 team Oline grading. They are obviously dancing around HIPAA laws. And they do like Salyer !
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Salyer could be a starter at any position on the OL this season. But how likely is it? Not likely at any position, although some are worse than others. For example, a lot has to go wrong AND Salyer has to do a lot of stuff right if he is going to start at C.

Salyer has yet to play in the NFL. He doesn't know the playbook. He needs to work on his technique. He isn't going to get 1st team reps until he gets those things under control. However, Herbert came in and was able to play at a high level with almost everything going against him, and he started game 2 his rookie year and has never looked back. So it COULD happen. But I might wait before I bet my kids college fund on it happening.

A big part of it will depend on how much have Norton and Pippkins improved? If either of them comes into TC and plays really well, problem is solved and they will bring the rookies on slowly, unless the rookies are just unbelievably good right out of the gate. Why, because Staley and TT both prefer to do it that way, based on their experience of many years at being professional football guys.

The Feiler thing I think was about fixing one side of the line. If they had put Slater and Fieler on opposite sides, then there are holes all across the line. If they put Linsday, Feiler and Slater, you had a good chance that the left side was going to be fine. Then they can scheme their way around trying to fix the right side. When I watch Feiler, I see a guy who is a good player at either OG or OT, but he is not an exceptional OL, at least in the athletic sense. He is not going to go out and dominate every player he faces, although he can hold his own most of the time, even against some very good players.

If you stick him out in space at RT, I think he is going to struggle sometimes against the best edge rushers. Micah Parsons (another guy who just "got it" as a rookie) and Maxx Crosby were ranked as the 1st and 3rd best pass rushers in football (threw out the lowest 20% of pass rushers and then put LB and Edge rushers together). Feiler struggles a bit against guys who can run around him. He is a good technician, and while that makes him a good, consistent player, he is not the kind of athlete who can mirror step for step with the top edge guys. His athletic limitations are less noticeable inside. He is not an elite player at either spot, but better at OG than OT, even though he has better PFF grades at OT.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont know if Salyer is the best option at RT right now. He has way more snaps as a LT than a RT. 1100 to 163 with zero of those at RT last season as he played LT and RG.
            Saying he is an instant upgrade at RT is just something posters like to say but they really have no idea and our current RTs have a lot more NFL experience than he does, so that is a claim i dont believe till he shows it.

I know your agenda is wanting to keep Zion at LG instead of RG and that seems to be a thing for you judging by always saying Feeney was out of place ( imo he just wasnt very good) but most OL seem to show a penchant for being able to play all over. If Zion can play OC in a pinch as, many like to point out because he played a handfull of snaps there in there senior bowl...... and think he can be a OC for us(which i doubt thats why we drafted him) then he should be fine to play RG.

The coaching staff will determine where best to play these guys although this forum thinks they know better. Maybe Salyer can be a RT in time but is he better than Storm or Pip? I like the value we got with him but not sure he is a NFL OT.
            i wouldn't rule it out.

Pip's NFL experience is two games: his other games had him thrashing around with his old habits - so of no use.
            Norton's experience is the offense running away from him, or getting loads of help and acting as a turnstyle if singled up too long.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

will do a deeper dive, and.... from what little I've come across.... dude is def a tackle, and....

while he is no Trey Smith.... he was dealing w/a foot injury, which makes his play against his level of competition even more impressive.
              5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Anyone remember 1981 when Bill Walsh started two rookie at CB, Ronnie Lott (USC) & Eric Wright (Missouri)? It is my belief that Chargers front office will start Pipkens at RT and Zion to RG, with Salyer as depth.

It is my hope that they start Zion and Jamaree at OGs, and kick Anchor Feiler out to RT. Scouts I read said Salyer would have been a 1st Round pick if he was 2 inches taller. Shame. That's no way to measure the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                  will do a deeper dive, and.... from what little I've come across.... dude is def a tackle, and....

while he is no Trey Smith.... he was dealing w/a foot injury, which makes his play against his level of competition even more impressive.
                  I've done no diving into his injury and didn't watch any tape on him so I'm only going by sites that have him late 2nd to late 4th round.and we drafted him mid 6th.

Never heard an injury except in here so thanks for the digging. Much appreciated.
                  He is a big ? For me at this stage but like the apparent value.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I've done no diving into his injury and didn't watch any tape on him so I'm only going by sites that have him late 2nd to late 4th round.and we drafted him mid 6th.

Never heard an injury except in here so thanks for the digging. Much appreciated.
                    He is a big ? For me at this stage but like the apparent value.
                    Check out his Michigan game against Aidan Hutchinson and his Alabama game. Fantastic level of competition he faced playing LT.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Do you buy that year 4 is important for OTs?

By my count we have 6 potential RTs going into camp. We have 2 elite edge rushers. The coaches should get plenty of looks at how our OTs hold up. True camp battle.
                      Not really. I guess some may finally find their way in the 4th year. But there are plenty of OT's that don't figure it out (Tevi, for example).
                      You're right, our edge rushers should give us a good idea as to whether Pipkins is ready... or whether he requires help.
                      IIRC, both Staley and TT said that Salyer will get training this year at OG, not OT.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Jamaree Salyer, OG, Georgia (Brugler: 54, Consensus: 85)

Like Jurgens, Jamaree Salyer represents one extreme of an interior offensive line prototype, bringing impressive power and toughness but demonstrating limited range. Being on the other end of the spectrum in that regard doesn’t save him from being polarizing, and his rankings have been all over the place. But Brugler was at the top of the stack, ranking Salyer higher than any other draft analyst.

“Salyer is a ‘trust the tape’ guy for me, especially after lackluster testing numbers (24-inch vertical, 8-foot-2 broad jump). But he rarely lost as a left tackle in the SEC — he gave up only one sack in his career, and it was to arguably the best player in college football,” said Brugler. “There are some bad habits, but he plays stout and controlled and should be a plug-and-play guard.”

Indeed, Salyer ranked fourth among all college left tackles with at least 200 pass-blocking snaps in PFF’s pass-blocking efficiency metric, giving up only four pressures all year. Despite that, ESPN’s Todd McShay is fairly low on Salyer, ranking him 188th. McShay appreciates Salyer’s power and toughness but (is @odds) with his athleticism, balance and technique. This is truly a case of production versus projection and the importance of traits when translating a player to the next level.
                        http://zazooz.com/3265668/2022/04/22/nfl-draft-boards-brugler-consensus/
                        Last edited by beachcomber; 05-22-2022, 11:42 AM.
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

think it's pretty easy to like a guy that you got in the sixth round, and given that he has a good shot to start, and prolly sooner than later.

he has some warts, and maybe more than some (of us) may real eyes, as he had a first round grade in some corners, albeit he was largely a borderline day two/three guy.

he has the usual inconsistent pad level, lateral stiffness and weight concerns (he weighed 340 & change in HS).... one pundit suggested that his poor balance even gives way to a forward topple a time or two.

along w/playing off balance @times, some say that he in turn can lurch and lunge.... some project him as a below avg starter, and w/below avg flexibility, and most problematic he has been tagged as prone to injury, and w/the question posed as to whether he can avoid the injury bug ??

on the other side of the coin, there is consensus that he is solid and reliable, and doesn't have any glaring holes to his game.

some call him a very cerebral player, and even phenomenally smart, and one that diagnoses the game at a pro level, and someone that has great/fantastic vision.

he can be violent and blast players off the line, and is reliable @the second level.... he operates out of a wide/strong base, and more closely resembles a boulder than human being.

one pundit, and of whom was pretty much a minority, suggested that he had phenomenal movement ability, could handle anything that comes his way, and that he is impossible to get around.

https://bellyupsports.com/2022/04/jamaree-salyer-ol-scouting-report/

someone described him as elbows locked and loaded, and someone who implements precise counters, and.... interestingly enough, Salyer states that he wants to improve on playing center.

for myself, he seems to have some Amish to him, and would suspect that he turns into a leader/locker room kinda guy ??

his pro compare is Kelvin Beachum, and most favorably he did a fairly remarkable job vs. Aidan Hutchinson, and pretty much shut down Will Anderson as well, and convincingly so, according to @least one pundit.

Comment

Working...
                          X