Cowboys @ Chargers Preseason Game Day Thread (PS #2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Truth. It's like a bunch of high school players showed up for a tryout tonight. I'll let you guess which team. And they immediately got intimidated and said fuck it, what's the point.
    Marty would throw gas on these guys and light them on fire. Then kick them in the balls. I like that style. I just really fear we are hyped up on Mike Riley 2.0.

Ill tell you this...im still pumped for the season. I just am afraid of using the dreaded word....

REGRESSION
    Worried about if we are getting better or not. Based on the depth...not looking like it so far. I will trust Staley until i no longer can. But we have to at least make the playoffs. To not make it with this roster would be pathetic.

I cant wait for his quiet little passive presser. Football players respond to firey coaches who show some serious emotion about bad play. Im not sure he has that in him.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by kgbpasha View Post
      The drop-off from Herbert to Daniel is #YUGE.
      Every backup QB I've seen this pre-season is still better than Chase.
      Seriously.
      To be fair the drop-off from herbert would be significant for most back-ups, but I agree daniel and stick are not very good when compared to other back-up QBs around the league, I’d say their near or at the bottom of the league back-up list…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        On a night of wall to wall slop, I am not forgeting dropped passes.

And I heart Touchbacks.

Fickrell, stop pointing at the scoreboard.

Staley stop staring at your Surface.

Make the necessary cuts and get this team ready to play NFL football vs the Raiders.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree with most of that Fleet, except that Stick didn't help himself tonight. Made some poor decisions, forced to rock into tight coverage...did nothing to earn a promotion to backup QB...regressed from his form last week...
          Today it was obvious that the Chargers do not have a legitimate backup QB..... we could pick up a guy off the street after final cuts who is better than both of them, period...... daniel is done his arm is done.... time to retire and coach....

Stick has some athletic ability but he cannot consistently pass the ball accurately...

We only need 2 QB's...... since our starter is a young stud..... you might need a young backup if you had an OLD vet as a starter, but not our case...

Stick is number 2 till we sign a real vet NFL backup who can throw reasonably accurately....stick is not the future and lots of backup QB's are better then stick....

What is obvious is that the Chargers NEVER tackle in practice so they have no clue how to tackle in a real game..... if our kickoff does not go through endzone or our punt is fair caught, we are in big trouble..... last year's worst tackling team in NFL does not look improved.....

If none of our starters ever tackle in practice or in pre season, HOW can they possibly be ready to tackle week one against the raiders who are loaded at RB and will run and run and run on us till we sho we can stop it?????

how do you get in football shape without ever tackling or getting tackled???????

and unless Spiller can stay healthy, we have zero backup RB's on this team who can start and make plays if Ekler goes down......

Yes, one can argue that 90% of our starters did not play these 2 pre season games, but our ST's were loaded with guys who will be playing ST's and they cannot tackle..... because they have never practiced tackling in NFL.....

and what tells us that the starters who have not played a down yet will be ready to hit and tackle on day one???????...... we all know no one will play the last pre season game.....

last year we started out beating a really bad washington team, then it took 4 miracle turnovers to beat the chiefs..... then we got smoked by cowboys who are not a great team playing in a weak-ass division.....

Cowboys showed that their backups are clearly way better then ours.....

Our starters should still be much better than last year, but our depth still sucks..... we cannot afford any injuries.....

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Marty would throw gas on these guys and light them on fire. Then kick them in the balls. I like that style. I just really fear we are hyped up on Mike Riley 2.0.

Ill tell you this...im still pumped for the season. I just am afraid of using the dreaded word....

REGRESSION
            Worried about if we are getting better or not. Based on the depth...not looking like it so far. I will trust Staley until i no longer can.
            What you're describing is exactly how Dallas played tonight. Their players showed up ready to ball. And played with enthusiasm and determination.

I like our chances at being competitive as long as our regulars are mostly healthy. But over 17 games and the playoffs (depending on health IMO) we will need our depth to really step up and show they belong. That's asking a lot though. After tonight I don't know.

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

a free and can’t say these guys are back end of the roster players because so are the Dallas guys and so we’re the Rams guys. Nobodies playing starters anymore in pre season. And to be outclassed by a team like we were tonight to me just points a big finger at Staley and his staff.
              agree our backups look really unprepared compared to opposition so far.....

btw.... some teams do play starters..... Reid has played the Chiefs starters 2 weeks in a row and they look extremely ready to dominate once regular season starts.....

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                Okay, of the 23-50 roster guys who actually played today...

Palmer- good game
                Guyton- good
                Michael Davis- 1 series, looked good
                Rumph - good game
                ASJ- 1 series
                Norton- okay
                Johnson- mediocre
                Salyer- mediocre
                Jaimes-okay
                Clapp-okay
                Tillery-Tillery
                Fox-good
                Reeder- good
                Woods- up and down
                Kelley - okay
                Spiller -hurt
                Stick - up and down
                Daniel - Daniel

That's the actual depth on this team. The rest of these guys are fighting for the last 3 spots.

Preseason schedule doesn't fucking matter. Same conversation last year and we started 4-1. 1994 we went 0-4 in preseason. Sooooooooo many examples.
                I myself could care less about the loss, no major injuries were reported so I’m happy, spiller walked off by himself without help so he should be fine…

it is troubling to see the STs unit give up two TDs and a couple other long returns…both teams scored 18 points on offense and both teams allowed 18 points on defense, the special teams was the difference tonight…
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Damn i see no fight. Just passive play. I get that its meaningless. But you should be able to see growth. Good coaching. These guys have no passion. Just getting pushed around. Our back ups vs theres and we are getting punked. Pushed around.

If it upsets you i feel this way sorry but im not the type of guy to just give this a pass. You have to get better and you dont do that without serious criticism.

I expect the starters to rock and roll. But i still see no real changes in that sort of soft way we play. And our depth looks really bad outside of a handful of good jobs toniight.

I think Stick is better at this point than Daniels. Palmer and Bandy are great. Rumph is making plays again. Some others did well. But overall its just pure slop. Trash. Where is the "Clean Operation"? lol

I wonder if Staley when he says that is talking about foul language and playing with anger. They might not be allowed to play like dogs. Might be too disrespectful? lol

Frustrated.
                  agree.... and I think the problem is the Chargers do not hit or tackle in practice......

When coryell, Ross, and Marty coached the team, the players, win or lose, could actually hit and tackle......basic football 101.... you cqn't learn to do that playing Madden football......lol

Comment

• Caslon
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

Evaluating possible ST’s talent, it wasn’t first team. Nearly the last gasp for some fringe players.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

agree our backups look really unprepared compared to opposition so far.....

btw.... some teams do play starters..... Reid has played the Chiefs starters 2 weeks in a row and they look extremely ready to dominate once regular season starts.....
                      Not the teams we have played tho which is all that matters.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • New Jersey
                        • Send PM

But i really like Stick when he runs. He could use his legs to back a D off somewhat. Dink and dunk.

I agree. Keep Stick, cut Daniel, and, if Herbert is injured, sign someone off the street to be the backup to Stick temporarily. Daniel isn't worth wasting a roster spot on.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Or Fouts's fixation about Daniel's shoes...
                          I love Fouts, he was my childhood idol, then later I thought he was a fantastic following in his father’s footsteps as a football broadcaster for CBS. Now I think he’s done, he needs to step aside for a younger former charger like phillip rivers, antonio gates, or perhaps someone like kasim osgood, IDK, at first I was angry when CBS benched Fouts but now I think they did the right thing…

Comment

Working...
                          X