Jaguars @ Chargers Pregame Thread (Week 3)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
    Lawrence is going to be a really good QB for a long time. But with as many hands they got on Carr’s and Mahomes passes. Those are veteran QBs and the Chargers D confused them quite a bit. I think they will do the same and maybe even more with Lawrence being less experienced.
    My thinking too. We've watched the new D against two pretty potent passing attacks helmed by veteran, accomplished QBs. It's going to be interesting to see it perform against a less accomplished QB and offense. I think the D will have a good day.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
      Lawrence is going to be a really good QB for a long time. But with as many hands they got on Carr’s and Mahomes passes. Those are veteran QBs and the Chargers D confused them quite a bit. I think they will do the same and maybe even more with Lawrence being less experienced.
      Good point. I have been impressed how many times the Charger DBs have gotten their hands on the ball. Even the TD pass that Jackson was in coverage on (Staley said was not his fault) he was within a whisker of tipping the ball. Samuel has really impressed me so far this young season.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Good point. I have been impressed how many times the Charger DBs have gotten their hands on the ball. Even the TD pass that Jackson was in coverage on (Staley said was not his fault) he was within a whisker of tipping the ball. Samuel has really impressed me so far this young season.

TG
        A gigantic up-tick from last year when DBs were just chasing receivers down to limit YAC. The bee hive is swarming this year - JCJ is just a huge difference as it effectively upgraded every position down-chart from him. Prior #1 can play #2. #2 now play #3, etc. We should have 5 or 6 INTs after 2 games, that is phenomenal.

I’ll make the guess that they trick the young gun into giving them 2 (+?) on Sunday.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

A gigantic up-tick from last year when DBs were just chasing receivers down to limit YAC. The bee hive is swarming this year - JCJ is just a huge difference as it effectively upgraded every position down-chart from him. Prior #1 can play #2. #2 now play #3, etc. We should have 5 or 6 INTs after 2 games, that is phenomenal.

I’ll make the guess that they trick the young gun into giving them 2 (+?) on Sunday.
          Yeah, I really like what I'm seeing from the DBs in two games. Going into last season, with Samuel as a rookie, Michael Davis was supposed to be the #1 CB. They jettisoned Casey Hayward and gave Davis an $8.4 mil per year contract. But, apparently, he had girlfriend problems last season and didn't get his shiite together. This season Davis is the 4th guy, which is more where he belongs - that is really good depth. The JCJ signing really elevated the defensive backfield, but the addition of Bryce Callahan is also a big deal. Adding to all this A Sam in his sophomore season, and what has traditionally been a weakness on this team looks like a strength. Fingers crossed and no injuries knock on wood.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

It kind of feels to me like this game is the first game of the season. The opening 1-2 punch of division rivals with elite players just 4 days apart was an ordeal. Then 10 days off. Now comes the regular weekly rhythm for the rest of the season, with a couple of Mon Nighters sprinkled in, starting with an average team that doesn't have a Mahomes or a Kelce or a Davante Adams or a Darren Waller. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new defense play against the Jags. The Jags, I don't think, are the worst team in the league anymore, from what I've seen I'd call them average, maybe a 7-9 win team.

Comment

• UtahBolt
              Did we win?
              • Jun 2013
              • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
              • Send PM

^^ Bryce has been a really nice surprise!
              I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
                ^^ Bryce has been a really nice surprise!
                Yeah, I knew nothing about him when they signed him, he was just a journeyman and I didn't think much of the signing. And he is 30 years old. But he can cover and he can catch the ball when he gets his hands on it. This was obviously a Staley signing, and it gives more confidence in Staley that he knows what he is doing. He's getting his guys to fit his defense, and so far it's working.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  It kind of feels to me like this game is the first game of the season. The opening 1-2 punch of division rivals with elite players just 4 days apart was an ordeal. Then 10 days off. Now comes the regular weekly rhythm for the rest of the season, with a couple of Mon Nighters sprinkled in, starting with an average team that doesn't have a Mahomes or a Kelce or a Davante Adams or a Darren Waller. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new defense play against the Jags. The Jags, I don't think, are the worst team in the league anymore, from what I've seen I'd call them average, maybe a 7-9 win team.
                  League wide, the first two games lead to over-reaction, but the games that set the tone for the season are 3 and 4. By now, the newness has worn off, and the routine has set in for sure. It sucks that Herbert and KA aren't 100%, Linsley is a huge question mark, but I expect a lot more out of the O (and D) going forward. Jags are not pushovers (+7 is way too much, imo), but they don't play well coming west

Comment

• Parcells
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Offense is banged up, so here’s hoping the defense brings it this weekend.

One of my PAs is a Chiefs fan, and he readily admitted we should have won last week and said our defense is scary and going to be a problem.

I do worry about this game and think it is a very losable game, especially with all the injuries we have.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Yeah, I really like what I'm seeing from the DBs in two games. Going into last season, with Samuel as a rookie, Michael Davis was supposed to be the #1 CB. They jettisoned Casey Hayward and gave Davis an $8.4 mil per year contract. But, apparently, he had girlfriend problems last season and didn't get his shiite together. This season Davis is the 4th guy, which is more where he belongs - that is really good depth. The JCJ signing really elevated the defensive backfield, but the addition of Bryce Callahan is also a big deal. Adding to all this A Sam in his sophomore season, and what has traditionally been a weakness on this team looks like a strength. Fingers crossed and no injuries knock on wood.
                      Great call and mea culpa - Callahan should be mentioned more often and more lovingly. He’s played fantastic - huge “other” add!
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                        Day One...
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Brentwood, 94513
                        • Send PM

The Chargers have the biggest line with bets this week. 7 points is quite high. I do think the Chargers will win. I would be nice to have a comfortable win. But that’s not Charger football… yet!!!

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

I looked at some of the Jags first two games and I think they have a good defense. They have been real strong against the run. I think their Safeties can be exploited. We need some deep throws to Mike, Carter, and Guyton in this game.

That means it sure would be nice to have our injured guys back, Herbert, Allen, both injured OL, and our #2 TE. The Bolts DL should get to Lawrence enough to slow them down. They do have two good RBs though, so we need to be strong against the run.

This game is not a gimme but we should win it.

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X