Chargers @ Texans Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Week 4)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I think Pip is doing well at RT and I'm not certain Feiler could do any better - or even as well. Considering their age I wouldn't replace Pip at RT with Feiler. But, it's a long way until the next offseason. They could both be traded away before then. We gotta keep that cart behind the horse.

Maybe I should say we need to steer clear of the icbergs. (for bottom kittie)
    Doubt we see any trades involving either of them...always need depth...and Pip is finally showing signs of being at least a serviceable starter...

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

We also may choose to not to resign Pipkins if he becomes good and too expensive to resign.
      If we get 4-5 more decent games from Pip, I would offer him a 2+1 type of extension at a team-friendly price...

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Lost the room? That's rich. If you think Lombardi's play calling, which he himself has acknowledged has been too conservative at times, is not a problem, you have lost your mind.

You have a different definition of comfortable if you think that our opponent having the first and 10 at our 16 with a chance to take the lead in the 4th quarter represents a comfortable win for us. Similarly, when we have to go for it on 4th down in our own territory to try to escape with a narrow win, that is not comfortable. And neither is not getting a TD to put the game away until there is a little over two minutes left in the game, our first points of the second half. Had we done anything other than score a TD on that possession, HOU would have had the ball back with time and a chance to win the game.

My focus was rightfully on the conservative second half play calling because it once again killed multiple drives and once again shifted momentum to our opponent and once again gave a beaten opponent new life in a game that should have been a blowout win for us. I never said the defense played great, but the issue with the play calling has been a recurrent theme in every game this season and has become the greatest problem with the team. In the game thread, a good half a dozen or so other posters commented on the issue immediately in real time. Yeah, I guess they are not part of that room that lives only in your mind either.

Finally, all I can do is to point out to you that when some are trying to argue that Lombardi did a good job because the team finished 5th in scoring last year, it kind of matters to that ranking that our OC had a whole bunch of chances to keep drives alive and produce points that other OCs did not have because Staley was very aggressive in going for it last year on 4th downs. Without those opportunities (i.e., taking away the advantage Lombardi was given by Staley), our team would have finished nowhere near 5th in scoring (more like 12th or 13th).

And this year, despite playing against two bad defenses and two mediocre defenses, and with Staley being less aggressive, "amazingly", we are only 12th in scoring.
        Add me to the list, I just wasn't on TPB during the game.
        I think this was Lombos best called game yet and it was only good enough against the Texans, but again, it won't be against a playoff team.
        I have accepted that Lombardi isn't going anywhere because Herbert will make any offense look decent enough to justify keeping.
        So instead of wishing Lombo away, I'm wishing Herbert is better than I already think he is, and is able to carry the O in spite of the conservative playcalling.
        Basically Herbert needs to overcome the defense AND his own OC to win.
        To do this, he's going to have to own the system and occasionally go rogue, I don't think this is in his nature, but I have hope.
        Really hoping he has Brees on speed dial for consultation.
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Fleet 1
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Kauai
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

We also may choose to not to resign Pipkins if he becomes good and too expensive to resign.
          Its a premium position. Let someone overpay him. Maybe he gets paid well enough to help us net a comp.

Comment

• Fleet 1
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Kauai
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Feeling good about these guys. We could have an OL w/4 out of 5 young guys coming into their prime together. Would be amazing
            Yep. Be nice to draft a weapon now. Im always in the mood for one of these new types of WRs that do it all. Why i was so high on the top 5 drafted this year. They all look really good.

I just want to make it easy for Herbert. We invested so much in this D there is no reason why it should be insufficient. Even next year looks pretty good.

We have needs i know....but i want to score 40 a game. So lets keep adding firepower. lol

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Trey is going to work out, we now have the luxury to groom one of them as an OG / backup quality OT. The question is really what do we need to do to resign him - he will be a proven starting RT at the end of the season (this is his last year?)

I trust them both. Not to be perfect, just to be good enough or better. Its been a long time since we said that.
              Yep good problem to have. But i still taste bad Pip in my mouth. So i need more from him. But i like that the arrow is finally trending up.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

If Pipkins continues to improve the rest of the year, and there seems to be reason to be optimistic about this, he'll want to be paid like a starting tackle in the league. I don't see him taking a discount just because he was raw when drafted and took a while to develop. He will be paid based on what he will do going forward.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

If some tackle needing team is willing to deal away a sure handed fast WR, I think I'd be willing to listen.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Yep. Be nice to draft a weapon now. Im always in the mood for one of these new types of WRs that do it all. Why i was so high on the top 5 drafted this year. They all look really good.

I just want to make it easy for Herbert. We invested so much in this D there is no reason why it should be insufficient. Even next year looks pretty good.

We have needs i know....but i want to score 40 a game. So lets keep adding firepower. lol
                    Been thinking about this. The first two drafts/FA acquisition periods were about building a solid OL and defense in support of Herbert. Next off-season/draft is going to focus on WR talent. I definitely could see a WR with their first round pick (No. 32 overall). The absence of Keenan these past several games has made it apparent that it's imperative to have two top WRs. Palmer has not filled KA's shoes like I was expecting. Either he's not ready or he's not going to be that guy.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      If Pipkins continues to improve the rest of the year, and there seems to be reason to be optimistic about this, he'll want to be paid like a starting tackle in the league. I don't see him taking a discount just because he was raw when drafted and took a while to develop. He will be paid based on what he will do going forward.
                      We don't know how Pipkins is looking at it.

If he's most motivated by the maximum payday he can get, then he most likely won't be with the Bolts in the future.

But if he's geeked at the prospect of playing on a Justin Herbert-led offense, that's a different matter.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                        If some tackle needing team is willing to deal away a sure handed fast WR, I think I'd be willing to listen.
                        With the emergence of Salyer, this makes sense.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

We don't know how Pipkins is looking at it.

If he's most motivated by the maximum payday he can get, then he most likely won't be with the Bolts in the future.

But if he's geeked at the prospect of playing on a Justin Herbert-led offense, that's a different matter.
                          I think he chooses money
                          but he should really consider, will it be as easy to start at RT
                          for another qb who doesn't process and release as quick as Herbert?
                          Any team willing to give you F off money likely isn't paying a stud QB
                          I think that matters
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

Working...
                          X