Chargers @ Browns Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Week 5)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Michael Irvin says KA's tweets questioning Staley's decision is an indication there's some dissention in the lockerroom.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Michael Irvin says KA's tweets questioning Staley's decision is an indication there's some dissention in the lockerroom.

Stephen A said it. Put this together with the players only meeting after the JaX debacle

Comment

• Air Coryell
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2021
        • Carlsbad, CA
        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
        • Send PM

OL is top 10
        Kelly cements as RB2
        JH is JH - awesome
        D is not what was advertised; very little pressure on QB, open WR's, can't stop the run
        New kicker was very good
        JC looks still hurt
        Tackling still a problem
        Staley is WTF

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
          Popper said:

But two posters disagree:

Popper's assessment is in accord with what I've always thought was the rule--both toes down inbounds before another body part touches out of bounds is a catch. You two seem to be saying that the heel landing on the line negates the catch because it's "part of the foot." But that's inconsistent with what the officials said, assuming Popper got the quote right. The officials said that the order of touching matters, which implies that, if the toe had touched inbounds first--as the video clearly shows happened--it was a completed catch.

What is this "rule" that you two are referring to? Do have a link? Thanks.
          I don’t have the rule on me but I believe the heel has to come in bounds as well unless he was catching towards the sidelines, then he can toe tap.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Stephen A said it. Put this together with the players only meeting after the JaX debacle
            The player only meeting was probably a positive thing.

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Gilman started instead of Adderley. Beachcomber is suggesting that maybe Reeder should be playing instead of Tranquill.
              WOW is Nas THAT bad that they started Alohi in his stead? I know he hasnt been in on many PBUs or in position a whole lot. I guess Alohi paid off with that deep red zone INT.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Calm down, dmac. And you DON'T want to be in my house when they lose, this is true.

I get that you, and a few others, bleed lightning bolts. But not all of us, particularly old timers like myself who have lived through all the gut-wrenching losses over the many disappointing seasons, are so willing to just fall back on "Oh well, a win is a win". Because that's never going to hold up, and I think you know that. At some point, this team is going to have to go out and actually win a game convincingly. Something they have yet to do this year.
                I get that you're shell-shocked by previous disappointment (I've been a fan since '76). But... the past has no bearing on the present/future. If that were true, you'd never have the Steeler's dynasty of the '70's... or the Niner's dynasty of the 80's... or the Patriot's dynasty of the 2000's. Those teams sucked... before they didn't.

Wins (ugly or not) get you into the playoffs. Playoffs qualify you for a chance to win a Super Bowl. 8 wild-card teams have won a Super Bowl. It doesn't matter how you're playing at the beginning of the season... are you hot at the end of the season? All of these new players are learning how to play together right now. And we've been playing fairly well... even with all of the injuries we've endured from premium players (KA, Bosa, Slater). Even JCJ and Linsley have missed a game. That's 5 out your 7 best players right there. It's a miracle that we're 3-2! We outplayed the Chiefs without KA and Linsley (for half the game)...

Reasons to be optimistic:

Herbert (obviously)
                Linsley (the best OC we've ever had). Yes, better than Macek or Hardwick.
                Bookend pass rushers. Probably as good (or better) than any duo we've ever had. Grossman/O'niel were very good. Same goes for Jones/Dean. Merriman/Phillips... Bosa/Mack...
                Keenan: If he can get his hammy right again, he'll pass Joiner (this year) and Alworth (next year). Pair him with MW (the Chief killer) and that's a duo that ranks top-5 in Chargers history.
                Derwin: Best safety we've ever had. He's the answer to our "Kelce problem". Not sure if you noticed how ineffective Kelce was last game...
                In fact, JCJ, Callahan, ASJ, Derwin, and Adderly may be one of the best secondaries the Chargers have ever had. Top-5 for sure.

The jury is still out on Salyer, Zion, and Pipkins (sample size to small for me)... but they are trending positively.
                There's plenty to be optimistic about. Collectively, this may be our best roster ever.
                I'll take roster talent over superstition, curses that don't exist, and wins that "should have been more convincing".... every day (and twice on Sundays).

And before you label me as a cool-aid drinker... you should check out some of my posts over the last few years.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Keenan did not make the trip. I wonder if he was drinking and texting? Does he even drink?

I bet if he was on the sideline or better yet in the game he would have had a different attitude on the decision.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                    I don’t have the rule on me but I believe the heel has to come in bounds as well unless he was catching towards the sidelines, then he can toe tap.
                    From what i know of the rule - Popper was wrong

Its like catching a ball through the ground. The heel has to come down in bounds and not just the toe tap part when the catch is made like that. But Williams was backward if you will. If his body were turned the other way and he did the two toe taps and then stepped out of bounds - its a catch.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Staleys decison was roundly discussed on all football shows this morning and roundly panned. Consensus, he got lucky because a rookie kicker missed a field goal. Thats the truth.

You have an injured team, on the road, trying to get some wins and stay in the hunt until your team gets healhier. You dont squander wins by being stubborn and thinking you are more clever than everyone else. You make a back up QB with no time outs go the length of the field...if you "trust your defence" common sense has to prevail at times

Former players on the panels discussing Keenan Allen's tweet publicly questioning his coach said that is not insignificant. It was noted that Keenan questioned the decision as it was made BEFORE he knew the result of the call or game. If a senior leader is openly questioning, the former players strongly suggested this is not the first time players in the locker room have not been cool with Staleys decisions. No one discussing the comments around the NFL this morning called it a non issue

I have been critical of the decision but of course am still happy the beat Chargers are 3-2 and do see some positives ..o line, run game, Salyer etc. But I can still call a spade a spade. Chargers got lucky a guy missed a kick he should have been in a position to attempt.

Then to listen to the arrogance of Staley in presser is a bit much. He doesnt learn, thinks he knows better. He will cost future games. And for a guy who was supposed to be a defensiove guru, walk the talk. 200 million was spent this off season, mostly on defence, getting Staley players he wanted, many knew his system. Yet the defence still cant tackle and still cant stop the run and is bleeding points at a level at the bottom of the NFL.

Is Staley really as a good of a coach as he talks or thinks he is?

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I get that you're shell-shocked by previous disappointment (I've been a fan since '76). But... the past has no bearing on the present/future. If that were true, you'd never have the Steeler's dynasty of the '70's... or the Niner's dynasty of the 80's... or the Patriot's dynasty of the 2000's. Those teams sucked... before they didn't.

I'll take roster talent over superstition, curses that don't exist, and wins that "should have been more convincing".... every day (and twice on Sundays).

And before you label me as a Kool-aid drinker... you should check out some of my posts over the last few years.
                        Looking good "on paper" has to translate into wins on the field. Wins against quality opponents - the kind of teams you'll be up against in the playoffs. I just can't seem to get too excited about lucky (yes, we were lucky yesterday) wins against a team that ranks around 20th in the League Power Rankings. And I'm even less excited about the other wins, against two of the League's bottom feeders.

If people want to hang their hats on "a win is a win", or "on any given Sunday", or "that's why they play the games", I say knock yourselves out. For me, anything short of a Super Bowl VICTORY is a failed season. And I'm not even seeing playoff-caliber football being played by the Chargers at this point, no less serious Super Bowl-caliber play.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

He looks like where's Waldo.

Maybe Staley would try to jump off a cliff as he says.

He referenced DBZ. Nice.
                          LOL! "Why wasn't Nick Chubb in for that last play...?" Uh, because there was only 20 seconds left in the game... and Browns had zero time-outs...
                          Sometimes you have to discount what "super fans" have to say. Especially if they have no situational-awareness.

Comment

Working...
                          X