POLL: Is Sofi Artificial Turf Causing More Injuries than Natural Grass?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    I don't know if there is that much difference from falling onto today's artificial surfaces vs. real grass, but players are faster on the fake stuff meaning more energy in tackles. Still better than the original Astroturf which was a carpet on concrete. Grass is always preferable, though.

The location of SoFi is not ideal, between two heavily used flightpaths, so it had to be covered to reduce the noise from the jets, and had to be dug out so that the roof wouldn't be an issue to the planes, meaning that they couldn't do the roll-in turf like they do in Vegas and Glendale, AZ. Kroenke got a great deal on that old Hollywood Park land, and a willing local government to make it happen. He probably doesn't give a rip about injuries... just the cost of doing business.
    Good explanation.

Comment

• Air Coryell
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2021
      • Carlsbad, CA
      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
      • Send PM

Natural grass is the best surface for football hands down! All is needed is proper maintenance and decent weather. LA should have natural grass.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Send PM

Players could force the issue on this if they got organized. High profile FA could refuse to sign with teams whose stadiums have artificial turf. Top draft picks could do the same, pull and Eli or Elway and tell a team not to draft them because they won't sign with a team who doesn't play on natural grass.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Bosa needs surgery and is going on IR for at least 4 weeks, probably longer. But he is expected to play again this season.

Comment

• Fleet 1
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Kauai
            • Send PM

Bosa was critical of the turf early on after the move into Sofi. Im certain of it. I brought it up once before. Cant find the post game interview but he has always had on opinion on playing surfaces.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
              Bosa was critical of the turf early on after the move into Sofi. Im certain of it. I brought it up once before. Cant find the post game interview but he has always had on opinion on playing surfaces.
              Yes, I remember that. He said something last year about getting beat up on SoFi's artificial turf after playing on real grass on the road.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Looks like a writer has already written about this very subject. I didn't see this piece before starting this thread. Bosa made a comment about getting beat up on SoFi's turf in 2020.

Los Angeles Chargers players on the team are starting to get fed up with SoFi Stadium's playing surface.

I thought Bosa said something last season as well. But maybe I am remembering what he said in 2020.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

...why Joey threw his helmet on Sunday.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• foreigner
                    Tom Telesco is gone
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Send PM

I don't think biceps or ribs has to do anything with surface... JC or Parham havent even touched SoFi's surface... its poor training IMHO, today's players train different nowadays... maybe not poor but not adequate training...

Comment

• Craig440
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

I remember way back in the day when John Hadl played his first game on Artificial turf. He said "I was afraid to spit, it's like spitting in someone's living room"

Comment

• bartman83642
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I think it's cuboidal rubber granules, which is, if I'm not mistaken, chopped up old automobile tires. This piece explaining the turf at SoFi doesn't specify where it's old tires.

https://www.therams.com/news/a-detai...i-stadium-turf
                        Yeah, small rubber pellets\granules. I played in a flag league for a few games on an indoor soccer field that had them years back. Supposed to help give better traction for the players on the turf is what I was told. Also looks interesting when they fly up on the blue field near me.

Comment

• bartman83642
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          Players could force the issue on this if they got organized. High profile FA could refuse to sign with teams whose stadiums have artificial turf. Top draft picks could do the same, pull and Eli or Elway and tell a team not to draft them because they won't sign with a team who doesn't play on natural grass.
                          Players are already organized. If it is too big of a problem they should bring it up with the union.

Comment

Working...
                          X