POLL: Is Sofi Artificial Turf Causing More Injuries than Natural Grass?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolts0503
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2022
    • Send PM

I perceive turf was chosen because over the long term, it is cheaper to maintain than grass. And cheap was definitely in mind for this terrible stadium. But since Sofi stadium opened, our co-tenant has gone 24-12 during the regular season with a Super Bowl win while we have gone 17-19 without a playoff appearance. Not sure I even thought about the turf being part of our mediocrity until this thread!

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts0503 View Post
      I perceive turf was chosen because over the long term, it is cheaper to maintain than grass. And cheap was definitely in mind for this terrible stadium. But since Sofi stadium opened, our co-tenant has gone 24-12 during the regular season with a Super Bowl win while we have gone 17-19 without a playoff appearance. Not sure I even thought about the turf being part of our mediocrity until this thread!
      WTF? Sofi is a terrible stadium? Cheap?

I would have to disagree. Best stadium I’ve ever attended for an NFL game and Rolling Stones concert.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2022
        • Send PM

You would think that will all the millions of dollars they have invested in these players they would have funded or have some definitive study. The opinion of the players from what have seen out there seems to think its not as good as grass. And we all know(tobacco for example) there have always been coverups in the name of saving a buck.

I remember some player saying he came to San Diego years ago because of the natural grass...that he thought it would extend his career.

As far as Bosa though...that SOB always slips and gets hurt.

Comment

• Air Coryell
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2021
          • Carlsbad, CA
          • Teacher, Coach, CFO
          • Send PM

• San Francisco 49ers, Levi’s Stadium, Bermuda grass, Perennial Ryegrass mixture

We need THIS! Let's hope the rams make a change (since Spanos are renters)

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

We already have a topic about this... do you really want a poll on a wild ass guess?

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              We already have a topic about this... do you really want a poll on a wild ass guess?
              Why not? This is a timely subject affecting the team. And not a guess--there is science behind this.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Why not? This is a timely subject affecting the team. And not a guess--there is science behind this.
                The decision for turf vs. natural grass is because the field is 200 feet (maybe less) below ground level and is under a glass canopy. If they didn't build between two heavily used flight paths, Kroenke might have gone with grass and an open stadium... maybe with a roll in field like in LV and Glendale, if he insisted on a roof.

My guess is that your poll will be very one-sided, and you can just opine in the older thread. No one likes turf.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kauai
                  • Send PM

I merged the old thread into this one. Just to see how it reads. For science.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

My understanding is that SoFi is a multiuse facility and real grass hinders the ability to hold other events there. Kroenke has to pay for it somehow, and football is just one of the uses.
                    So, I guess Kroenke figures it doesn't matter if a few players get injured, as long as he maximizes his profits on concerts and other events...yep...

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                      I merged the old thread into this one. Just to see how it reads. For science.
                      All right...as they say...ALWAYS follow the science...
                      (except when u get hurt...)

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                        • San Francisco 49ers, Levi’s Stadium, Bermuda grass, Perennial Ryegrass mixture

We need THIS! Let's hope the rams make a change (since Spanos are renters)
                        My neighbors had Bermuda grass in their front yard. It was like getting grabbed around the ankle by ravenous kudzu trying to run across it
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

My neighbors had Bermuda grass in their front yard. It was like getting grabbed around the ankle by ravenous kudzu trying to run across it
                          Sounds like someone needs to do some mowing...

Comment

Working...
                          X