POLL: Is Sofi Artificial Turf Causing More Injuries than Natural Grass?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I would think that the owners have ran the numbers and are making a choice maximizing the profits. Woody will probably rationalize the cost of Rodgers being out as the cost of doing business. There might be a point where the injuries actually hurt the bottom line, but I suspect it isn't just a few players. I don't think anything will change until they can grow grass indoors that can last more than 2 or 3 weeks.
    Yep...I think the stadium owners had their cost analysis and risk management people get together, very quietly, and crunch the numbers. They probably came up with a final analysis like:

"Even though the artificial turf is likely to cause ____% more moderate to serious injuries compared with natural grass, the cost of installation and maintenance of the natural grass would be cost-prohibitive compared to artificial turf. The only variable that could change this equation is, if at some point in the future, pressure is brought to bear from the player's union, fans and the media to switch to natural grass. At this point, if gate receipts decline significantly, and/or if revenues decline causing negative cash flow due to negative publicity and/or a boycott, then we may need to reconsider our current policy and install natural grass. But until that point, a small to moderate number of moderate to serious injuries to players is a tolerable variable."

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...I think the stadium owners had their cost analysis and risk management people get together, very quietly, and crunch the numbers. They probably came up with a final analysis like:

"Even though the artificial turf is likely to cause ____% more moderate to serious injuries compared with natural grass, the cost of installation and maintenance of the natural grass would be cost-prohibitive compared to artificial turf. The only variable that could change this equation is, if at some point in the future, pressure is brought to bear from the player's union, fans and the media to switch to natural grass. At this point, if gate receipts decline significantly, and/or if revenues decline causing negative cash flow due to negative publicity and/or a boycott, then we may need to reconsider our current policy and install natural grass. But until that point, a small to moderate number of moderate to serious injuries to players is a tolerable variable."

Mainly Hamstring injuries.

Los Angeles Chargers Injury Report: The official source of the latest Chargers injury news and team information.

Also, man we're thin at LB.​

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I would think that the owners have ran the numbers and are making a choice maximizing the profits. Woody will probably rationalize the cost of Rodgers being out as the cost of doing business. There might be a point where the injuries actually hurt the bottom line, but I suspect it isn't just a few players. I don't think anything will change until they can grow grass indoors that can last more than 2 or 3 weeks.
        Rodgers salary or any player’s is a sunk cost. He’s already paying it and Rodgers getting injured doesn’t cost a cent more or a cent less. Grass field is an added expense

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Rodgers salary or any player’s is a sunk cost. He’s already paying it and Rodgers getting injured doesn’t cost a cent more or a cent less. Grass field is an added expense

You won't hear me use an added cost as an expense for not having a grass field. They can afford!

Probably will save them a ton on not treating players with severe injuries less surgeries.
          Paying Rodgers to be injured hurts them from being a SB contender.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

You won't hear me use an added cost as an expense for not having a grass field. They can afford!

Probably will save them a ton on not treating players with severe injuries less surgeries.
            They’re greedy

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
              They’re greedy
              ​

Remember, stadium owners don't just make $$$ on pro football, though that's a big part of their income...they also rake in a lot of coin from concerts, soccer and other events. I'm guessing they plug in all the variables, the income, the expenses, and finally determine that the upkeep of natural grass is high compared to artificial turf...unfortunately, the artificial turf also cuts short the careers of a lot of players, or reduces their production due to the high injury rate...then the team suffers and many times ends up with a losing record...yes, it is greed, but it's also foolish, because a lot of these injuries reduce their NFL team's chances to advance in the playoffs and to the SB...all of these post-season games could result in more gate revenue, sales of food and souvenirs, and TV revenue...so it's greed AND failure to factor in the post-season potential for a lot more income...in other words, a lot of owners are both greedy and dumb...

Comment

Working...
              X