POLL: Is Sofi Artificial Turf Causing More Injuries than Natural Grass?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UtahBolt
    Did we win?
    • Jun 2013
    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
    • Send PM

I am sure it is and I would love the job as well!. But I also realize that nobody should be putting billion dollar decisions in my hands! :lol:
    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Comment

• Geezbolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Sun Valley, ID
        • Send PM

The Seahawks are joining in on this too: https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news...ll-turf-rumors

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
          There were a couple of non-contact knee injuries at SoFi Stadium during last Sunday's game between the Seahawks and Chargers.

Rams wide receiver Cooper Kupp also plays his home games at SoFi Stadium and he was asked about the playing surface during a Thursday media session.

“It’s not even close,” Kupp said, via Sarah Barshop of ESPN.com. “I know there’s stuff going around the league right now, there’s some issues. Hands down, we should be playing on grass. Hands down, we should be on grass. And that’s all I’m going to say.”

Kupp’s comments echo NFLPA president JC Tretter’s belief that all games should be played on grass. They aren’t the first to raise the issue, but fourteen of the league’s stadiums currently use artificial surfaces and there does not appear to be much of a move to push things in the other direction.
          This is getting interesting. Kroenke is one of the richest owners in the league, and the way I understand it there's no way for the SoFi turf to be converted to grass. Two NFL teams play at his stadium, and the now the best player on the team he owns is blasting the turf at SoFi.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

There were a couple of non-contact knee injuries at SoFi Stadium during last Sunday's game between the Seahawks and Chargers.

This is getting interesting. Kroenke is one of the richest owners in the league, and the way I understand it there's no way for the SoFi turf to be converted to grass. Two NFL teams play at his stadium, and the now the best player on the team he owns is blasting the turf at SoFi.
            There must be a way to do it but with 2 teams playing there maintaining a good grass field would be difficult in the best of circumstances

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

If this hasn't already been posted, you can count Pete Carrol as a 'yes':

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Ideally, the solution is to not play at SoFi. Kroenke got the land cheap (relatively to mid-city land prices), and he adapted the stadium to the circumstance to make money on the deal, not for player safety.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  Kroenke got the land cheap (relatively to mid-city land prices), and he adapted the stadium to the circumstance to make money on the deal, not for player safety.
                  Exactly this. The stadium was very expensive to build and it is more than just a venue for football games. To make money for Kroenke it needs to serve a as a venue for many other types of evens, and a grass field is not conducive to this. Of course $ is going to be more important to Kroenke than the safety of players on his own team, players on the team that rents from him and players on visiting teams. I don't see a solution that is going to benefit the players. So, as you said, the best solution is not to play at SoFi. Of course, the Spanoses have roped themselves into playing at SoFi, and they have to live with it, even if it means sacrificing the body parts of the players on their team. I wonder what would happen if star players on visiting teams refused to play at SoFi.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

If Kupp is so down on the Sofi artificial turf (which I agree with), than why did he just sign a 3-year $80-mil extension with the Rams a few months ago? Put yer money where yer mouth is, dude, and sign with a team that plays on grass...

Comment

• SBbound
                      Casual fanatic
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Merced/San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

There must be a way to do it but with 2 teams playing there maintaining a good grass field would be difficult in the best of circumstances
                      Rumor is UCLA is looking at playing there too. Plus all of the other events make it very unlikely.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Who would have thought that 2 guys that built their empires upon the backs of exploited labor wouldn't have considered their employees...?

:bertstare:

Comment

• Geezbolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Sun Valley, ID
                          • Send PM

I wonder what would happen if star players on visiting teams refused to play at SoFi.
                          I was wondering if it could reach a point where free agents might think twice about signing with the Bolts or the Rams because the playing surface could shorten their careers.

Comment

Working...
                          X